VOGONS

Common searches

what will you do when your last hardware fails?

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 166, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThenZero wrote on 2022-03-18, 21:44:

I may mispeak at times, but I don't consider something vintage just because it's 20-25 years old. It's just obsolete.

I tend to think that way too, but then I remember that kids who grew up in the nineties probably feel the same way about stuff from that era as I do about my Apple IIe and 8086 stuff.

Ok I hear that. But I've been a collector of many things since childhood. I started reading comics in the mid 70s, for about 3 years. I was utterly flabbergasted to learn that some of the characters I was currently reading were around in the 1930s and 1940s. Wow! I officially became a collector of vintage comics. Very few kids were like that. I always had a eye for the historical. To me what's old is old. The stuff that was current when I was active is very interesting. But I can't put it in the same category as the stuff from 1935 -1963.

I'm not demeaning anyone's interests. Your boat has to float on it's own merits, designated by you. It's worth pointing out that the bronze age.of computers has a unique appeal all of it's own (95 - 05). I suppose people in 20 years will similarly find great appeal in what's rolling out of shenzen these days. As will I perhaps.

Reply 162 of 166, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think most of the stuff in the Anthropocene is pretty cool, monkeys just made pointy sticks.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 163 of 166, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-19, 03:37:

I think most of the stuff in the Anthropocene is pretty cool, monkeys just made pointy sticks.

😂

They also invented flinging poo, credit where credit is due.

Reply 164 of 166, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah yes, the greater half of internet communication.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 165 of 166, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThenZero wrote on 2022-03-19, 03:31:

But I can't put it in the same category as the stuff from 1935 -1963.

Yes, agreed. Architecture, design, etc definitely peaked in that era.

Oi. I was talking about comic books manster.

Reply 166 of 166, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-19, 09:09:
ThenZero wrote on 2022-03-19, 03:31:

But I can't put it in the same category as the stuff from 1935 -1963.

Yes, agreed. Architecture, design, etc definitely peaked in that era.

Oi. I was talking about comic books manster.

Got it. I feel like a lot more style went into the technology and furniture and buildings of that era as well. Maybe comics fall into that category as well?