VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 43420 of 52699, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought another nVidia Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 8x graphics card on eBay to replace my last one which died from overheating. The seller stated that it was fully tested and confirmed working, so hopefully this will outlast my previous one.

IMG_3037.JPG
Filename
IMG_3037.JPG
File size
482.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 43421 of 52699, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh my god, what did BW drag home now? ...

IDK entirely what just yet. It has a year 2000 compliance sticker, so thought it must be something of superior breeding... Eurocom 5100 is the basics. All I know so far is it's got a 6GB hard drive, popped that out to see what was going on with the power socket... it are wobbly... might not be rough treatment looks like it was a bit dry from the factory... I could "almost" fix it from the HDD bay, which is annoying. Guess if I got a "reach around" soldering iron it would work, but I ask for a reach around at the store I'm gonna get funny looks or thrown out... yeah so-o-o-o-o it's probably going to be something smellerony has the CDROM, floppy, single USB and PCMCIA, noise holes seem to imply sound. The latch has unfortunately lost it's slider, so need to poke a pen in it to open, but apart from the wear you see on the left mouse button it's very clean, no shine on the spacebar or enter/return.

edit: found potential specs page... https://eurocom.com/ec/specs(3) ... PSU I picked up near it turned out to be a couple of volts short, other sources say I need 20.5V 65W but I think it should run on less, maybe not charge battery quick. I've got a universal with switchable voltage to mess around with anyway.

Attachments

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 43422 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-20, 01:32:

Oh my god, what did BW drag home now? ...

IDK entirely what just yet. It has a year 2000 compliance sticker, so thought it must be something of superior breeding... Eurocom 5100 is the basics. All I know so far is it's got a 6GB hard drive, popped that out to see what was going on with the power socket... it are wobbly... might not be rough treatment looks like it was a bit dry from the factory... I could "almost" fix it from the HDD bay, which is annoying. Guess if I got a "reach around" soldering iron it would work, but I ask for a reach around at the store I'm gonna get funny looks or thrown out... yeah so-o-o-o-o it's probably going to be something smellerony has the CDROM, floppy, single USB and PCMCIA, noise holes seem to imply sound. The latch has unfortunately lost it's slider, so need to poke a pen in it to open, but apart from the wear you see on the left mouse button it's very clean, no shine on the spacebar or enter/return.

edit: found potential specs page... https://eurocom.com/ec/specs(3) ... PSU I picked up near it turned out to be a couple of volts short, other sources say I need 20.5V 65W but I think it should run on less, maybe not charge battery quick. I've got a universal with switchable voltage to mess around with anyway.

Well, uhm, it appears to be a Canuck shop, which would explain why I've never heard of it before, or was it the other way around?
I really don't do laptops at all, since they tent to have too few ISA slots for my taste, but, well... good luck with that? 😉
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocom_Corporation

I like jumpers.

Reply 43423 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd consider my self very much not a "DFI kind of guy" if that's actually a thing, but apparently I just won a DFI P2XBL BX440 slot 1 board with P2-400.

With a very weird boring S3 PCI VGA with a BIOS sticker that says "Ad Lib Genesis 765", for whatever reason.
Probably someone cannibalizes a ROM chip somewhere or what? Or were there actually VGA cards made under the Adlib brand?

Attachments

• genesiswhattf.jpg
    Filename
    genesiswhattf.jpg
    File size
    487.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I like jumpers.

Reply 43424 of 52699, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-20, 20:41:

I'd consider my self very much not a "DFI kind of guy" if that's actually a thing, but apparently I just won a DFI P2XBL BX440 slot 1 board with P2-400.

With a very weird boring S3 PCI VGA with a BIOS sticker that says "Ad Lib Genesis 765", for whatever reason.
Probably someone cannibalizes a ROM chip somewhere or what? Or were there actually VGA cards made under the Adlib brand?

There's one on ebay Germany right now. Looks like it's right.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 43425 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-03-20, 20:59:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-20, 20:41:

There's one on ebay Germany right now. Looks like it's right.

Tbh., that's was a deliberate "let's not just google it first" question because it really startled me and i considered it a curiosity.
But you're right, apparently, "Adlib" ventured into VGA some years later.
I only ever knew then as "that sound card in the time of the dinosaurs" but there you have it - generic S3 PCI graphics by Adlib.
I knew they'd made more elaborate Adlib sound cards after "the Adlib sound card" before getting bum rushed by the market force of creative labs, but VGA? Cool.
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/adl … _soundkarte.jpg

I like jumpers.

Reply 43426 of 52699, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it was made by Video Technology Computers Ltd in Hong Kong

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 43427 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-03-20, 21:21:

Looks like it was made by Video Technology Computers Ltd in Hong Kong

I know very well we're not supposed to just spam image replies in here, so I'm linking to a youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bifOI4MbHVU

I like jumpers.

Reply 43428 of 52699, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2022-03-20, 00:23:

I bought another nVidia Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 8x graphics card on eBay to replace my last one which died from overheating. The seller stated that it was fully tested and confirmed working, so hopefully this will outlast my previous one.

IMG_3037.JPG

How is the round aluminum heatsink on your Ti4200 in cooling performance? I was watching this card for awhile then got snatched away. I didn't mind that. 😀

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 43430 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brawndo wrote on 2022-03-20, 21:45:

Received a Dell P780 in excellent condition, in its original box. Back in the day a 17" monitor was decent size, but now being spoiled on 27" LCDs and bigger, it seems so small. 🤣

That is a fine screen, son. It might even have electrolytes.
(let's not forget that a 17" LCD would be a 19" CRT by visible real estate)
I made it with a (really advanced) 15" well into this millennium.

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-03-20, 21:56. Edited 2 times in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43432 of 52699, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that I would need it, but I just can't turn down a good deal on old ISA soundcards.
This one is from the German manufacturer Miro: a SB-Pro compatible MiroSound FM10 with original OPL2. As far as I know it's not really rare, but doesn't show up very often and I simply like its looks 😀 And it's always nice to have something different in the collection.

MiroSoundFM10.jpg
Filename
MiroSoundFM10.jpg
File size
292.82 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 43433 of 52699, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be sure to test it with a number of games and report back. I have seen instances of games not working, despite sound cards being Sound Blaster or Adlib compatible. One of my go-to tests is Dungeon Master to check for Adlib compatibility.

Reply 43434 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-03-22, 18:52:

Not that I would need it, but I just can't turn down a good deal on old ISA soundcards.
This one is from the German manufacturer Miro: a SB-Pro compatible MiroSound FM10 with original OPL2. As far as I know it's not really rare, but doesn't show up very often and I simply like its looks 😀 And it's always nice to have something different in the collection.
MiroSoundFM10.jpg

Little Typo: that Yamaha YMF-262 chip is the OPL3 - there actually was an OPL2 and it did FM synthesis in mono. Hence there were two of them on the original Soundblaster Pro.
IIRC both generations were "simple stereo" i.e. hard left, center, hard right only. But not sure atm.

Really cute little card, that Miro.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43435 of 52699, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-22, 19:19:
Little Typo: that Yamaha YMF-262 chip is the OPL3 - there actually was an OPL2 and it did FM synthesis in mono. Hence there were […]
Show full quote
HanSolo wrote on 2022-03-22, 18:52:

MiroSoundFM10.jpg

Little Typo: that Yamaha YMF-262 chip is the OPL3 - there actually was an OPL2 and it did FM synthesis in mono. Hence there were two of them on the original Soundblaster Pro.
IIRC both generations were "simple stereo" i.e. hard left, center, hard right only. But not sure atm.

Really cute little card, that Miro.

You're right. I was sure I read somewhere that it had an OPL2 and didn't even check what's actually on it 😀

Reply 43436 of 52699, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought Mach 64 dram, one is 1MB with 2MB sockets empty and other one same thing full 2MB and both are 135MHz ti ramdac ati PCI video cards.

Registered DDR3-1866 64GB kit made by elpida (4 sticks) for my workstation Z420.

Old SSD made by liteon 512GB back in 2012.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 43437 of 52699, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a Sound Blaster 32 (CT3670) on eBay last night. It's coming with 2MB of RAM installed as well.

I probably paid more than l would have liked for an ISA sound card, but inflation. I remember wanting an AWE32 very badly in the mid - 90s, but I couldn't justify the expense. Now, I figured, why not?

Reply 43438 of 52699, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had an AWE32 in my collection from a tag sale pickup in my youth, but I sold it a couple years ago to cover some expenses. With rising prices, I got worried so I snapped up a couple different models recently.

The AWE32 is a very interesting beast, indeed.

Reply 43439 of 52699, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fosterwj03 wrote on 2022-03-23, 00:51:

I bought a Sound Blaster 32 (CT3670) on eBay last night. It's coming with 2MB of RAM installed as well.

I probably paid more than l would have liked for an ISA sound card, but inflation. I remember wanting an AWE32 very badly in the mid - 90s, but I couldn't justify the expense. Now, I figured, why not?

The CT3670 is pretty much an AWE64 in disguise and in my opinion a great card. Some turn it down because it hasn't the original OPL3 but I think Creative's CQM isn't half as bad as some people make it. And one of the many features of the CT3670 is that it supports FM-routing through EMU8000 which allows for nice enhancements of FM audio. But of course that's only personal preference.