Common searches

VOGONS github

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 200, by sulix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2021-11-28, 00:24:

Compiled OmniSpeak SVN (Commander Keen 4,5,6, SDL2) for Windows XP, easy.

FYI, the new version 1.1 builds of Omnispeak should work on Windows XP out of the box — at least, they do in a VM. (There may be issues if you're running on really old CPUs, though.)

Windows XP support is definitely something I intend to maintain for it, so if there's ever any issues getting it working on Windows XP, please report them as a bug.

Reply 21 of 200, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sulix wrote on 2021-12-17, 10:00:

FYI, the new version 1.1 builds of Omnispeak should work on Windows XP out of the box — at least, they do in a VM. (There may be issues if you're running on really old CPUs, though.)
Windows XP support is definitely something I intend to maintain for it, so if there's ever any issues getting it working on Windows XP, please report them as a bug.

Wow. Thanks for stopping by, releasing v1.1 and committing to Windows XP compatibility. Your new package omnispeak-win32-1.1.zip works just fine with Windows XP on real hardware. 😀

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 200, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back.
Went on vacation and a funeral and now playing catchup.
Noticed one of my 5 bay NAS is almost out of space. Where do the TB go..... (22.8 TB for games from online stores apparently), going to see what I can clean up there to make the latest monthly backup.
Down to 6TB free on my server and if I unpack more games then more space used for backups so may have to freeze the unpacking for now.
Resuming work on Vmware VMs of Windows versions.
Also running exiftool against online store games to find versions of files.
I did setup a WSUS 2022 VM for Windows 2000+ before I left but WSUS is just as much of a pain today as it was when it was released with console crashes even if you provide the resources, run the scripts, don't approve superseded updates, etc etc etc. I'll likely just setup a base WSUS VM and then make multiple copies for each Windows version for all the updates. Makes you wonder how MS handles it.
Also need to see about setting up a WSUS VM and importing the MS catalog updates.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 200, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sidetracked into wsus. Creating a 2022 vm per grouping of os downloads solved wsus stability. Tons of space needed for downloads but now that I know it works I can let it download and work on the vms for below windows 2000. Manually importing all ms catalog updates into wsus looks like it'll be fun so hopefully someone has figured out how to automate that.

Also solved a random freezing issue on my desktop pc which prevented progress turns out the shitty icue software was the issue so unininstalled that crap and 100% stable again.

I did a little bit with eol updates. Created another xp vmware vm for just pos updates. These can also be installed through wsus as long as the reg key is set. Once I have all the vmware vms done plan would be to setup a pcem vm to verify the last xp pos update before sse2. Don't think I have a vm or hardware to test windows 7 updates before sse2 ....maybe bochs.

Reply 24 of 200, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got Windows 2000 talking to WSUS on Windows 2022. Helps when you use the right address....
Checked Windows Update synced Windows 2000 VM against WSUS and no new updates found so good to go!
Also now downloading all Windows updates in other languages instead of just English so will see if WSUS holds up.

I've also identified the last working version of WSUS offline for each Windows version starting at Windows 2000 and downloaded the updates for each one. I'll need to track down the last known good wsusscn2.cab for the no longer supported versions of Windows so that WSUS offline can actually install the updates.

Reply 25 of 200, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still a WIP with WSUS. I'm working on finishing downloading Windows 10,11 and Windows server 2016+ updates, verifying the VMs can connect and updating them.
Current downloaded WSUS updates are around 800GB. Can probably reduce that by about 300GB by removing OS upgrades from one ver to another, I actually did that already for one OS because the total download size was crazy (lots of .esd files) so plan to check that again when my server hits 1TB of free space. Currently holding at 3TB.
Would be nice to store these somewhere on the net for others but I'm not interested in paying to store on the Internets what would amount to likely 1TB+ of updates. Before even doing that would first verify with a blank WSUS install if WSUS would detect these updates and not re-download or if it would overwrite, If it would overwrite then not much point in uploading. Mabye the focus should be on OS you would have to jump through hoops to update so all Windows OS up to vista.

So after WSUS updates are done then Windows VMs for below Windows 2000 will need to be created. Will have to decide Autopatcher vs scripts for updates and make sure I have all those updates and if not download them. Script is likely better, much simpler and less obfuscation.

I think the above would be sufficient to then stop for now with VM setup and go through the repos I've already put on the vogonsorg github and add the missing last working version for each OS or update what is already there. This wouldn't cover systems without SSE,SSE1 or SSE2 but it would be sufficient from an OS compatibility standpoint.

As far as 3D acceleration then for Vmware OGL and D3D are supported for XP+ on Vmware 16. For Vista you have to use older Vmware tools otherwise OGL is broken but no big deal. Windows 2000 used to have 3D acceleration but appears that isn't the case with newer versions of Vmware but there is a rumour that you can set the hardware version of the VM to a lower version to get it working again. If this is untrue then pcem it is for 3D for 9x-3.5x-NT4-2000. I also have my test desktop which I'll just sysprep my vmware vms and restore them to my desktop so I don't have to create seperate images.

For wrappers KernelEx for 9x, Blackwingcat for 2000, OneCoreAPI for XP and I think there's one for vista as well I'll just duplicate the existing vms and have a VM for each one.

Reply 26 of 200, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing new since last post, went to my parents over the weekend to help with stuff.

Did retrieve a Dell Latitude D505 which IIRC can run DOS->7/2008R2. Think it still has a platter HD in there. Checking event log it appears to have not been powered on since 2008.
Likely use case for this laptop will be 9x compatibility testing using the Dell Dock DVI connection to my monitor. My HP EVO N600c I don't have a dock so just have VGA which is fine I can hook it up to my other monitor. It has a Radeon 9000 instead of the crap Intel in the D505.

Reply 28 of 200, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Decided to look into freeing up some more space so I can feel better about continuing.
Looked into it and noticed that recordsize was set to the default for my media files in TrueNAS so I set it to 1 meg and then deleted and reimported the data (I have 10 gig NICS so saved tons of time there) which freed up 3TB for a grand total of 6TB free now so I can breath easier, so that was worth it. Want to delay spending tons of money on hard drives for as long as possible.

Looked into the NAS I use for offsites:
2 of the 4 external NAS for offsite backups are running low on space but for those I'll focus more on deleting where I can until I'm forced to upgrade hard drives.
Also took a look again at seeing if I can use ZFS on these NAS.
So one is a Synology ARM based NAS from 2012 so no luck there.
2 are QNAP based NAS and Quts Hero does not support them. 1 NAS still gets the latest QTS and the other only gets security updates until October of this year.
I'm thinking come October I'll take that NAS and see about installing TrueNAS on it which shouldn't be an issue and then when the other NAS gets support dropped I'll do the same.
The last NAS stays at home and is supported by Quts Hero and I've just slapped in 2x1TB NVME from my server that I was going to use as another VDEV but they've been in the server for 1.5yrs and I haven't done anything with them. Wiped the data on 8x14TB drives and setting up ZFS on the SSD and 14TBs drives and it's going well so at least I'll have 1 backup NAS using ZFS. It's taken a long time but may eventually have all offsites on ZFS soonish. Woohoo.

Reply 29 of 200, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some experiments on NT 3.51 software compatiblity.

Currently working on ZFS for my NAS (backups are kind of important) and some 980TI on XP EDID experimentation.

Reply 30 of 200, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recent "regression":
https://github.com/Wargus/stratagus/commit/0d … e86b338a81c4588

drop XP support from settings file "cmake.generator": "Visual Studio 16 2019", - "cmake.toolset": "v141_xp", + "cmake.tool […]
Show full quote

drop XP support from settings file
"cmake.generator": "Visual Studio 16 2019",
- "cmake.toolset": "v141_xp",
+ "cmake.toolset": "v142",

Reply 31 of 200, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About WarGus above. The Stratagus executable can still be run with a particular Kernel32 wrapper dll. It was supplied by KawaiiSaras, and hosted here at Xin.at. I tested it with War1Gus, the one for Warcraft 1.

But the main thing I want to add is this unofficial build for Tomb Raider 1, being a build of Tomb1Main v2.7 for Windows XP. This should end any annoyance with the original ATI version of the game and the Windows XP incompatible GLRage wrapper.
You can find it at the downloads section here: http://www.gb-homepage.nl/index.htm
The package comes with required FFMpeg dll's, and those are 30MB unfortunately. But I don't feel like building them myself just to shave off the unused video codecs.

Also: The similar OpenLara project runs on XP with a small NT version hexedit. With the current Win32 executable dated 24-03-2021 that is. Note that on my system I have to delete the generated xsh shader files before the next start of the game, otherwise it crashes.

My take is that OpenLara looks nicer in general, but has some small gameplay issues compared to Tomb1Main and the original Game.

Reply 32 of 200, by Tom..

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2022-04-23, 02:11:
About WarGus above. The Stratagus executable can still be run with a particular Kernel32 wrapper dll. It was supplied by KawaiiS […]
Show full quote

About WarGus above. The Stratagus executable can still be run with a particular Kernel32 wrapper dll. It was supplied by KawaiiSaras, and hosted here at Xin.at. I tested it with War1Gus, the one for Warcraft 1.

But the main thing I want to add is this unofficial build for Tomb Raider 1, being a build of Tomb1Main v2.7 for Windows XP. This should end any annoyance with the original ATI version of the game and the Windows XP incompatible GLRage wrapper.
You can find it at the downloads section here: http://www.gb-homepage.nl/index.htm
The package comes with required FFMpeg dll's, and those are 30MB unfortunately. But I don't feel like building them myself just to shave off the unused video codecs.

Also: The similar OpenLara project runs on XP with a small NT version hexedit. With the current Win32 executable dated 24-03-2021 that is. Note that on my system I have to delete the generated xsh shader files before the next start of the game, otherwise it crashes.

My take is that OpenLara looks nicer in general, but has some small gameplay issues compared to Tomb1Main and the original Game.

I will answer here. I cannot send private replies yet..

AMD Duron 750 MHz - GF2 MX 200 - 768 MB Ram WinXp SP3 . I am getting such an error..

bez-tytu-u.jpg

Computer 2

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ - Radeon 9800 Pro -2GB Ram WinXP SP3.

bez-tytu-urer.jpg

On an older version vc_redist.x86.exe (2015) I have this error

bez-tytu-u5.jpg

Maybe it works on newer computers? Core 2 duo ?

Unmodified version "Tomb1Main-2.7" works fine i7 4790k - GTX 970 - WIN10 PRO..

Tomb1-Main-2022-04-25-08-09-49-07.png

Reply 33 of 200, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tom.. wrote on 2022-04-25, 06:12:
I will answer here. I cannot send private replies yet.. AMD Duron 750 MHz - GF2 MX 200 - 768 MB Ram WinXp SP3 . I am getting su […]
Show full quote

I will answer here. I cannot send private replies yet..
AMD Duron 750 MHz - GF2 MX 200 - 768 MB Ram WinXp SP3 . I am getting such an error..
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ - Radeon 9800 Pro -2GB Ram WinXP SP3.
On an older version vc_redist.x86.exe (2015) I have this error
Maybe it works on newer computers? Core 2 duo ?
Unmodified version "Tomb1Main-2.7" works fine i7 4790k - GTX 970 - WIN10 PRO..

Thanks for the feedback.

I just uploaded a new version of Tomb1Main-27-XPmod.zip with a single change: SDL2.dll is now the official v2.0.14.0 distribution. Any older version like v2.0.12.0 does not work. The previously included SDL2.dll had undesirable MSVC dependencies.

About compatibility: I ran a few tests:
Windows XP x86, Core i5-3550, Radeon HD6570 -> Only XPmod one works
Windows XP x86, Core 2 Duo P9600, Geforce GT710 -> Only XPmod one works
Windows XP x86, AMD E-350 APU, Radeon HD6310 integrated -> Only XPmod one works, Cannot maintain 30 FPS.
Windows 7 x64, Core i5-3550, Geforce GT710 -> Works, both XPmod and Official
Windows 7 x64, Core i5-3550, Intel Graphics -> Official/XPmod both do not work, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4' is not supported / 'textureSize2D' : no matching overloaded function
Windows 10 x64, Core i5-8250U, Intel Graphics -> Works, both XPmod and Official
Windows 7 x64, Core i7-930, Geforce 210 -> Official/XPmod both do not work, S_Shell_ShowFatalError Shader compilation failed
Windows 7 x64, Core i3-2310M, Intel Graphics -> Official/XPmod both do not work "Shader compilation failed"
Windows XP x86, Core i3-2310M, Intel Graphics -> Official/XPmod both do not work

It seems it is about Graphics here, not about CPU extensions...

Edit: everything

Last edited by gerwin on 2022-04-25, 20:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 34 of 200, by Tom..

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked this newer version
Windows XP x86,AMD Duron 750, GF2mx200 - Does not work, does not support shaders
Windows XP x86,AMD Athlon 64, Radeon 9800 Pro - Does not work , Shader Model 2.0 only..
Windows 7 x64, Core i5 -4590, Geforce 760 GTX, Both versions work
Windows 10,Corei7- 4790k,Geforce 970 GTX, Both versions work
Windows 10, Pentium E5200@3.300Mhz,Geforce GTS 450, i only tested your version, works 😉

Reply 35 of 200, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So at least you have 3 systems to run it.

Beforehand I did not expect the Tomb1Main graphics rendering to be so demanding in Shader support. Neither would I have expected the integrated HD6310 graphics to give low framerate here (at lowest settings+res). It does not look like there is a whole lot going on with the usual blocky environment of Tomb Raider...
In comparison: OpenLara has some more graphics options, and at medium detail it runs fine on that same HD6310, with fancy water effects even.

Odd thing I just found on that slow system: Set Tomb1Main graphics-settings to 640x480 with the in-game menu and run it in a window with alt-enter. It now maintains 30 FPS in all areas. The window canvas used is not 640x480, but measures out at 958x718, and is rendered as such, not stretched to it.

Reply 36 of 200, by Tom..

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also tried running Tomb1Main Official/XPmod on the GeForce 9600GT graphics card (DX10 Shader Model 4) , but that also doesn't work "Shader compilation failed"

3.jpg

It seems that on the Geforce GTS 450 I have a steady 30fps at the native resolution of the 1440x900 monitor..

a.jpg

b.png

Reply 37 of 200, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote on 2022-04-25, 13:58:

Windows 7 x64, Core i7-930, Geforce 210 -> Official/XPmod both do not work, S_Shell_ShowFatalError Shader compilation failed

This result seemed like an anomaly to me. How 2016 NVidia drivers can trip over a bit of shader syntax?
I found Tomb1Main can run properly on this system with a simple edit of the four shader files in the shaders folder. 2d.fsh 2d.vsh 3d.fsh 3d.vsh
First line:
#version 130
change to
#version 330

gerwin wrote on 2022-04-25, 13:58:

Windows 7 x64, Core i3-2310M, Intel Graphics -> Official/XPmod both do not work "Shader compilation failed"

Works now too. You can assume it also goes for the other Windows 7 Intel Graphics system that I listed earlier. Though because of the framerate this is not a playable combination. At minimal settings it still drops below 30 FPS in many areas. Same type of laptop but with Windows XP won't start the game.

See this issue at github where they labeled their v330 shader files to v130 in order to improve compatibility: Without any adjustments to the shader code itself.
https://github.com/rr-/Tomb1Main/issues/327
That was not a good idea in theory and practice.

Tom.. wrote on 2022-04-26, 05:26:

I also tried running Tomb1Main Official/XPmod on the GeForce 9600GT graphics card (DX10 Shader Model 4) , but that also doesn't work "Shader compilation failed"

Please try the mentioned edit of the four shader files.

PS. This is getting into details now that fit better into a topic of its own. Would be cool if a moderator can split it.

Reply 39 of 200, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tom.. wrote on 2022-04-26, 17:33:

Thank you
I did as you wrote, the game works 😀

Glad it works. 😀
You don't have to use Fraps with this game, just press the "F2" key for framerate display.