VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 43460 of 52699, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that the hanging note bug is overblown. It's only an issue if you are trying to play MIDI on the same Sound Blaster that is doing digital sound. It can be worked around by adding a second sound card, either ISA or PCI. The only reason this should ever be a limitation is if you're building a system with a micro ATX motherboard and don't have enough slots for two sound cards.

Reply 43464 of 52699, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with the hanging note bug is that once you know it exists, you can't un-hear it and it's pretty dang annoying when a note gets stuck. No-one cared about it back in the day because most people didn't have a GM daughterboard - no-one I knew even considered getting one; I don't know that we even knew what they were for and we were pretty obsessed with our computers. If we were spending money on anything it would have been more RAM or an Overdrive CPU.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 43465 of 52699, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day it seemed like...

SBPro compatibility, check! WSS compatible, check! MPC2 compliant, check! .. MIDI? <doubleclick CANYON.MID> *parrrp parpparp..* [X] Check!

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 43467 of 52699, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2022-03-24, 03:55:

No-one cared about it back in the day because most people didn't have a GM daughterboard - no-one I knew even considered getting one; I don't know that we even knew what they were for and we were pretty obsessed with our computers. If we were spending money on anything it would have been more RAM or an Overdrive CPU.

Hanging notes bug also effects external MIDI devices, as far as I know.
In fact I knew someone who had a external MIDI device. Ex boyfriend of my cousin. He was earning good money in his early 20s and spend a lot on the newest tech gadgets.
It was a black Roland box with display. Probably a Sound Canvas. Looked really nice with his black desktop case and black CRT on top of it. He had a Pentium 200, which was the flagship CPU at that time. And of course a Voodoo.
I was a bit confused why the games sounded so different compared to what I experienced before.

Reply 43468 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-03-24, 09:09:

Hanging notes bug also effects external MIDI devices, as far as I know.

It does, it's pretty much the same connection.
But no one could afford or care about a waveblaster device and external ones were even more expensive and unknown.

I had a friend of the "way too much money, alwas the newest gear" type and we talked about a third who ostensibly had a "all SCSI" rig.

We were obsessing (at various times) about CPU speed, the Matrox Millennium, The Quantum fireball HDD, the Tyan Tomcat dual motherboards or thrustmaster joysticks.
But no one discussed MIDI sound.
Think another friend had a gravis ultrasound in his Amiga!

I like jumpers.

Reply 43469 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To sprinkle in the occasional on topic remark:

Unsurprisingly, my "parts only bargain" DFI P2XBL rev. D2 motherboard arrived today.
PII-400, 44oBX chipset, sb-link, the works.
Along with a "Adlib Genesis 765" S3 PCI, minus a backplate. (who does something so cruel?!?)
Surprisingly, they POST together just fine, right away.

Boy, those Intel boxed coolers could be noisy.
Also, apparently, my crafty neighbour managed to construct a vacuum cleaner out of a discarded MiG-21. Good for him.

Edit: That motherboard has an Award bios that let's you set the FSB, between 66 and 150 MHz and with various PCI dividers. Not quite sure how common that was as early as 1999 but it's pretty cool.

Attachments

• DFI_P2XBL.JPG
    Filename
    DFI_P2XBL.JPG
    File size
    114.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-03-24, 22:33. Edited 2 times in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43470 of 52699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GM devices, including the MT-32, were unknown to all but a very niche subset of musician/gamers who were seriously into the former profession. I knew of only one person who used General MIDI for gaming, and he was an Amiga guy. He used his synth keyboard for this purpose, not a separate GM synth though.

This is my anectodal experience. I'd be happy to know if any figures exist that could shed light into the penetration of MT-32 or Sound Canvas as a gaming peripheral. I doubt there is, though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 43471 of 52699, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:27:

GM devices, including the MT-32, were unknown to all but a very niche subset of musician/gamers who were seriously into the former profession. I knew of only one person who used General MIDI for gaming, and he was an Amiga guy. He used his synth keyboard for this purpose, not a separate GM synth though.

This is my anectodal experience. I'd be happy to know if any figures exist that could shed light into the penetration of MT-32 or Sound Canvas as a gaming peripheral. I doubt there is, though.

MT-32 is not General Midi device. It predates the standard.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 43472 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:40:

You're technically correct, the best kind of correct.

To give an example:
Although most gamers at the time had more affordable FM OPL based Adlib or Sound Blaster sound cards, Doom and Doom II was composed on the Roland SC-55 sound module. Support in the engine exists for OPL2-based and Gravis Ultrasound cards, in addition to generic General MIDI output. Native Sound Blaster AWE32 support was added in 1.4.

I'd assume most scores were developed on "real" wavetable gear but it was rather easy to translate that into FM synthesis. Mind you, apart from the technical effort of MIDI equipment, the sound fonts themselves were rather elite content back then.
Sierra actually marketed the MT-32 along with some games of the time but it cost about as much as a spare kidney.

Btw., chrisNova777 will know slightly more about all that:
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=2398.0
Apparently, it was noteworthy that an MT-32 cost less than 500 pound sterling back when the queen's currency still bought horses with coins.

To really dive into the matter, look up the interviews with George "The Fat Man" Sanger on the tube or read this PDF.

Attachments

• Filename
    FatManSings.pdf
    File size
    113.75 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-24, 18:46. Edited 3 times in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43473 of 52699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:40:

Right, let me rephrase that and say MIDI in general.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 43474 of 52699, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While neither MT-32 or SoundCanvas my old PC (dad's) had SB16 CT1770 SCSI with WaveBlaster (first one, not WBII), and I seem to recall it was some sort of big multimedia bundle with CD-ROM too. I still have the card and MIDI daughterboard and they work fine. There was also Yamaha synth, can't remember the model, gave it away long time ago, it certainly was GM/XG and it was really good for Descent MIDIs.

Reply 43475 of 52699, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-24, 09:22:

Well... Gravis Ultrasound is basically an "amped" version of the Amiga Paula DSP for the PC.
It could make sense if he wanted to use OctaMED or Digibooster full potential, and without CPU/software trickeryes to get more PCM channels from Paula.
Now, everyone bought Ultrasound's because their DSP capabilities. Everyone bought them because ScreamTracker.
Gravis Ultrasound Synth/MIDI capabilities were nothing remarkable, and very picky to driver and configuration settings.

Reply 43476 of 52699, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought the SB32 mostly for the novelty (I didn't buy one years ago even though I wanted one). I suspect it's a relatively good model, but I don't plan to use it exclusivity for all of my computer projects. I also have a SB16 (CT2230) paired with a Dreamblaster S2 that I like quite a bit. The CT2230 is also an excellent match for running Win NT 3.1, OS/2 2.x, and Windows MME (3.0a).

I wish I could have paid less for it, but that's the price in the current market if you want the convenience of getting the card quickly. I could have waited for a great deal by checking local ads, thrift stores, Craigslist, etc., but I didn't want to wait all that long.

I'll also say that I paid less for the SB32 than I paid for the SB16 and the Dreamblaster combined in 2019 (if you include overseas shipping) . I suspect I'll like having it almost as much.

Reply 43477 of 52699, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the early 90's, if we were lucky enough to have a Sound Blaster, then "MT-32" and "Sound Canvas" were simply options we saw regularly in the Setup menus of games. We knew they were fancy, high-end elite options.

But they might as well have been on the moon, for their inaccessibility to most of us, back then. I've been a lifetime nerd who was fully into my local scene in the early 1990's. Yet I didn't ever physically, in-person, see a Sound Canvas until about 2019, when I imported one from Japan. And even now, I've been in the physical presence of exactly ONE (1) Gravis Ultrasound during my lifetime, and that was in 1995 - I don't expect to ever see another.

Those kinds of devices barely even made it, to a lot of the world's countries. And when they did, it was in tiny tiny quantities. It was basically impossible to even hear one, or know what one sounded like. There was no internet, no Youtube full of clips, no magical VHS you could rent out ("Demonstrations of the World's PC Gaming MIDI Modules, Part IV!"). Just a vague dream...

Reply 43478 of 52699, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why would he have a GUS in an Amiga? As far as I know, it would only be useable for the Dos side of an Amiga, if there were a bridge board installed. I dont think AmigaOS can access any ISA cards.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 43479 of 52699, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:45:

Why would he have a GUS in an Amiga? As far as I know, it would only be useable for the Dos side of an Amiga, if there were a bridge board installed. I dont think AmigaOS can access any ISA cards.

I remember that from like, 1995. There are places where grey hair has replaced no hair since then. So, uhm, grain of salt?
Also, we were kids back then - doesn't actually have to make sense 😉

I like jumpers.