VOGONS

First post, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,

I recently completed a build based around an Asus TUSL2-C and 1.4GHz Tualatin and everything seems to be running swimmingly, however, upon boot I receive the message (see attached):

<BIOS:> BIOS update data incorrect. CPUID=000006B4

bios_message.png
Filename
bios_message.png
File size
100.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Does anyone know how to fix this? It looks like the board is running BIOS version 1007.A.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 10, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-24, 20:52:

Is this the original EEPROM?

Presumably so, although I don't know for certain since I bought the board used (of course). It appears to be PhoneixBIOS chip, marked "D888 BIOS" with a date of 1998. So.. probably?

Reply 3 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, have you tried (re)flashing the latest BIOS and then resetting the BIOS settings to default?

BIOS and flash utility are still avaliable on ASUS' website.

Edit: I just asked about the EEPROM because even though I don't exactly understand why there seem to be differences between EEPROMs that are supposedly interchangeable that cause similar errors.

Reply 4 of 10, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I have seen a website out there where someone has made a patched bios for the TUSL2-C.

I get the same message on my system but as it seems to function just fine I havent ever worried about it.

Reply 5 of 10, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grem Five wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:07:

I think I have seen a website out there where someone has made a patched bios for the TUSL2-C.

I get the same message on my system but as it seems to function just fine I havent ever worried about it.

Probably this one? Yeah.. I'm a bit scared to try an unofficial BIOS like this. 😀

That's the thing, if it's just cosmetic, should I even bother with flashing?

Just curious, what BIOS version are you running on your board?

Reply 6 of 10, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:01:

Ok, have you tried (re)flashing the latest BIOS and then resetting the BIOS settings to default?

I haven't yet. It looks like BIOS 1012 is the latest non-beta version on Asus's site. I suppose I could give that a try.

Reply 7 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrzmaster wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:11:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:01:

I haven't yet. It looks like BIOS 1012 is the latest non-beta version on Asus's site. I suppose I could give that a try.

I suppose then it's actually simply about the 1.4GHz Tualatin being newer than your current BIOS. Fingers crossed!😃

Reply 9 of 10, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The BIOS is lacking CPU microcode for your processor’s CPUID. It can be corrected by flashing a modified BIOS that contains the appropriate microcode. I don’t know if one is readily available, however.

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Reply 10 of 10, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrzmaster wrote on 2022-03-24, 22:21:

Whelp, I flashed successfully to 1012, but it's still showing the BIOS update data incorrect message on boot.

Yeah I guess you found out... mine is running 1012 as well, sorry for the late response.

I dont know if there is any problems without the proper microcode updates but I have been running my system for 1.5 years and havent noticed anything. Maybe leaving a bit of performance on the table but havent noticed it, only way to check is compare it with my Tyan Tomcat i815T S2080GN which bios I *believe* has the microcode for the 1.4-s.... at least I dont remember seeing an error on boot up like I do with the TUSL2-C.

In old AnandTech article they had the TUSL2-C a bit faster than the Tomcat guess maybe some day I can get around to testing that (maybe in 10 years) since they both have the same processor in them.