VOGONS

Reply 21260 of 27506, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With a large area pan-head like that, it's quite likely to be friction/stiction combined with mild corrosion that's keeping them from turning, so I would recommend using a penetrant, Kroil, WD-40 or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21261 of 27506, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to get one of the rusted screws out with a few drops of synthetic oil and a high quality steel hex bit. The cheap allen key set I used initially was just stripping it. I was lucky to get the last screw out at all.

Reply 21262 of 27506, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Working on a Sony PSX DESR-5700 that has no audio and cannot read CDs that I throw in there. It uses 100VAC, which in my neck of the woods, it's 120VAC that we use and I'll need a converter/stepdown to make the PSX work on a 120VAC line or find a way to replace the power supply that has 120VAC out of the box.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21263 of 27506, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-24, 12:01:

I am fearing that they may indeed be rivets but the hollows look too hexagonal to be just that, so I am still hoping someone will come up and say "Oh they are this and this kind of screw, I took one apart before.." But knowing Intel they may well be unremovable rivets.

Which doesn't explain why the PII 400 SECC1 I have in my hand has no HSF on it.. Maybe it's an OEM part that had an aftermarket HSF that was later removed? No idea.

I found this post in a 5-year-old thread started by some shady-sounding 😁 "appiah4" fellow...

Re: Are all Slot 1 P3 coolers the same?
Gatewayuser200:
"Some heat sinks on SECC1 slot 1 processors are just not intended to be removed.

I've seen some OEM SECC1 slot 1 processors with screw/rivets holding the heatsink in place. They use a torx bit, but because the splines are so small and fragile it's very easy to round it out. Once it rounds out the only way to remove them is will a drill or drill press which is a pain.
"

Sounds like pretty much the same situation you're facing here.

Reply 21264 of 27506, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Working on an 'ultimate' Windows 98 build based on an Athlon XP 2500k.

Modern parts include a Fractal Design Define R5 case, Seasonic 650W ATX power supply, and Samsung EVO 870 SSD.

Probably going to try to include at least two sound cards, a Diamond MX300 (pictured) and an Audigy 2 ZS (to be added).

Not sure on the GPU I'm going to use. Currently it has a GeForce 6800. Might keep it or might swap it for something a bit earlier gen.

Attachments

• 98_Machine_01.jpg
    Filename
    98_Machine_01.jpg
    File size
    505.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21266 of 27506, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-03-24, 20:45:
I found this post in a 5-year-old thread started by some shady-sounding :D "appiah4" fellow... […]
Show full quote

I am fearing that they may indeed be rivets but the hollows look too hexagonal to be just that, so I am still hoping someone will come up and say "Oh they are this and this kind of screw, I took one apart before.." But knowing Intel they may well be unremovable rivets.

Which doesn't explain why the PII 400 SECC1 I have in my hand has no HSF on it.. Maybe it's an OEM part that had an aftermarket HSF that was later removed? No idea.

I found this post in a 5-year-old thread started by some shady-sounding 😁 "appiah4" fellow...

Gatewayuser200:
"Some heat sinks on SECC1 slot 1 processors are just not intended to be removed.

I've seen some OEM SECC1 slot 1 processors with screw/rivets holding the heatsink in place. They use a torx bit, but because the splines are so small and fragile it's very easy to round it out. Once it rounds out the only way to remove them is will a drill or drill press which is a pain.
"

Well, I tried to remove them with a torx driver and I managed to unscrew two before I managed to 'round out' the other two. I could take a drill to it but that will defeat the purpose of mounting it on another CPU so I just put the removed screwsback on. That cooler will just stay with that CPU for life now.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21267 of 27506, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:25:
I found this post in a 5-year-old thread started by some shady-sounding :D "appiah4" fellow... […]
Show full quote

Gatewayuser200:

"

Well, I tried to remove them with a torx driver and I managed to unscrew two before I managed to 'round out' the other two. I could take a drill to it but that will defeat the purpose of mounting it on another CPU so I just put the removed screwsback on. That cooler will just stay with that CPU for life now.

Sounds like the way to go. Those things appear very easily rounded, just by looking at them. There are various hacks to remove stuck fixtures. Jamming or sticking something to the head, so it can be unscrewed. But honestly sometimes these things are more trouble than it's worth.

Reply 21268 of 27506, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Built P3/Windows 98 machine recently. Sort of a higher-end setup with Tualatin 1266, Voodoo 3 3000 and Vortex 2:

20220320_155356.jpg
Filename
20220320_155356.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license

Tried previously with Geode NX1750, which was too fast at 1200-1400Mhz ... even for UT99 (game speedups).

And one ongoing project with P2 450:

20220312_113207.jpg
Filename
20220312_113207.jpg
File size
726.48 KiB
Views
File license
20220319_120039.jpg
Filename
20220319_120039.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 21269 of 27506, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:09:

The seasonic has beefy 12v?

That's a good question. Should I be worried if it doesn't? 😳

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 21271 of 27506, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stef80 wrote on 2022-03-24, 22:56:

You should mainly be concerned with 5V rail for socket A.

Looking at the old PSU I took the system from, it's got +5V @ 22A. Whereas this new PSU is rated +5V @ 20A.

Looks like 1000W Seasonic PSUs are rated at +5V @ 25A. Perhaps I should have gone for one of those instead?

At any rate, everything seems to be working so far. Got Windows 98 installed without issue, other than having to set the SSD partitions to LBA.

I may keep the system underclocked anyway, since I'm not planning on running anything too new on it (relative to the time the OS came out).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 21272 of 27506, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

Gatewayuser200:

"

Did you apply oil to lubricate before trying to back them out? I warned you. 😀

Reply 21273 of 27506, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-03-25, 00:12:
Looking at the old PSU I took the system from, it's got +5V @ 22A. Whereas this new PSU is rated +5V @ 20A. […]
Show full quote

Looking at the old PSU I took the system from, it's got +5V @ 22A. Whereas this new PSU is rated +5V @ 20A.

Looks like 1000W Seasonic PSUs are rated at +5V @ 25A. Perhaps I should have gone for one of those instead?

At any rate, everything seems to be working so far. Got Windows 98 installed without issue, other than having to set the SSD partitions to LBA.

I may keep the system underclocked anyway, since I'm not planning on running anything too new on it (relative to the time the OS came out).

I recently went digging through my old PSU collection looking for a PSU to power my 3200+.. got a ton of P4 PSUs with stupidly good +12v rails, a lot of AT PSUs and P3 capable ones .. and buried under them all was a ...

Shaw 680watt PSU with 35amps on the +5v rail, now this PSU looks shmick ..clean inside and out with little wear and tear on it .. but fuck its a SHAW

Now it tests out perfectly, all rails are at their correct voltages under load and there are no fishy burning electronic smells coming from it . even the damn fan is silent, which leaves me in a position I dont want to be in .. do I trust a SHAW PSU with my rare XP 3200+ unlocked Barton.

Its the only PSU I have that will possibly run the 3200+ without issue, its on a Nforce2 Ultra 400 board, so the damn thing is a power hungry beast and I have tried a few other PSU but they can barely supply enough voltage and with just the bare essentials and the CPU underclocked it gets close to maxing out the +5v rail so its no Bueno for them PSUs.

So I turn this over to fellow Vogons users .. do I dare trust this system to a SHAW PSU ?

Reply 21275 of 27506, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-25, 00:58:
Show full quote

Gatewayuser200:

"

Now you get the impact wrench with the 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter and the 3/8" to 6mm hex and chuck in a fresh bit.... and set it to max, and TIGHTEN, snap the damn things off 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21276 of 27506, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Took a look at the C code I wrote for an extremely large number calculator while I was in college around 20 years ago.

Uses no large number library and precision can go to infinite decimal places.

I figured most of it out by working out the calculations on paper.

Some of my comments in the code are quite funny.

The numbered revisions of the code go to 195.

Looks like I was working on converting it to do calculations faster by using arrays of 64-bit ints instead of character arrays.

I plan on working on it again and possibly merging it with another program in order to be able to figure out insanely large prime numbers very very quickly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21277 of 27506, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-03-25, 00:12:

Enermax 350W (few posts above) have 32A on 3.3 and 5V 😀. You can find them NOS for about 20-25 $/€.
It would make excellent retro PSU, if recapped with quality caps. Original ones are so-so (not the best period in time, caps-wise).

Last edited by stef80 on 2022-03-25, 08:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21278 of 27506, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-25, 00:58:

Yeah, I tried oil as well as WD40 to break the rust and that inhuman grip, but it only worked on two of the screws. That thing is bolted onto there by Thor himself.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21279 of 27506, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not only the capacitors but I'd say the amount of soldering on some of those (good) old PSU is a lot.. I've opened different ones of the 350W Pentium4/Prescott oriented line and while they seems to have quite many components for those times and they are indeed heavy, once seen the back side of the PCB it felt like nowdays they are using like half the amount of metal to solder the traces.

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-03-25, 08:16. Edited 1 time in total.