VOGONS

Reply 40 of 63, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-03-24, 14:56:

[...]

brain aneurysm, I meant to write cheapest actually fast option 😀.

That explains a lot 😉

Alternatives are so bad you might as well not bother with tualatin at all. 810 and SiS is pathetic,

SiS pathetic? Take a look at the 635, it's arguably the fastest of all the So370 platforms. Even the SiS 630S is pretty decent. The SiS integrated solutions are crap, but that's just because integrated stuff is awful, regardless of whether it's SiS, Intel, Via or ALi.

most VIA 133 boards still have stability/AGP problems. I think only Pro 266 was refined enough to not be destined for bottom feeder supermarket builds.

There were some pretty high-end Via ApolloPro133A boards, stuff like the Asus TUV4X. Apart from slower memory performance, all the other "Via" issues were releated to the southbridge, and the Pro266 could (and did) use exactly the same ones as the 133A. A lot of that was also driver problems, fixed after a few versions of 4-in-1. Only remaining issue was poor PCI performance and incompatibility with cards that used Intel proprietary PCI stuff (SBLIve, a lot of TV cards), but that was an issue on any non-Intel chipset.

815E/815EP are optimal, but rare, expensive and therefore hard to get.

My EUR 15 B-stepping 815E says otherwise. Biggest issue with i815 is 512MB RAM limit, and that's only a problem if you don't want to run Win9x. Also no native ISA for people who don't want a separate DOS build.

Modded BX board running at 133MHz with carefully selected PCI/AGP cards will deliver same speeds in majority of workloads while being problem free (minus the getting OC stable part).

True, BX is epic, particularly in terms of how long it lasted in a time of massive change and performance improvement.

Still, for ease of actually finding boards, Via ApolloPro133A is hard to beat, and for top performance I prefer SiS 635 or i840 (although I can't get mine to run with Tualatin...)

Reply 41 of 63, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my Tualatin-test, the VIA implementation on the ABIT AX34ProII was one of the fastest in the pack. So it often depends on the whole board rather than just the chipset.
Anyway, it's great fun if you have heaps of old stock to choose from, but for the newcomers on the market, it's getting quite a frustrating business.

So get your base needs fulfilled with a cheaper win98SE P4, and be patient playing the long game on Tualatin equipment.

Reply 42 of 63, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO a lot of the most sought after equipment is overrated, and maybe none more so than the Tualatin. Compared to a 1ghz copper mine CPU you can find all day at 5$, the Tualatin only extends the serviceability of the machine by at most two years. If you want to play games from after 2002 you are just better off building a faster computer.

I guess function and need are secondary concerns concerns in this hobby. Whether DOS era or later, it is still possible to build a cheap computer to play games without compromising on anything you are likely to miss.

Reply 43 of 63, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-03-24, 16:32:
That explains a lot ;) […]
Show full quote

[...]

That explains a lot 😉

Alternatives are so bad you might as well not bother with tualatin at all. 810 and SiS is pathetic,

SiS pathetic? Take a look at the 635, it's arguably the fastest of all the So370 platforms. Even the SiS 630S is pretty decent. The SiS integrated solutions are crap, but that's just because integrated stuff is awful, regardless of whether it's SiS, Intel, Via or ALi.

most VIA 133 boards still have stability/AGP problems. I think only Pro 266 was refined enough to not be destined for bottom feeder supermarket builds.

There were some pretty high-end Via ApolloPro133A boards, stuff like the Asus TUV4X. Apart from slower memory performance, all the other "Via" issues were releated to the southbridge, and the Pro266 could (and did) use exactly the same ones as the 133A. A lot of that was also driver problems, fixed after a few versions of 4-in-1. Only remaining issue was poor PCI performance and incompatibility with cards that used Intel proprietary PCI stuff (SBLIve, a lot of TV cards), but that was an issue on any non-Intel chipset.

My EUR 15 B-stepping 815E says otherwise. Biggest issue with i815 is 512MB RAM limit, and that's only a problem if you don't want to run Win9x. Also no native ISA for people who don't want a separate DOS build.

Modded BX board running at 133MHz with carefully selected PCI/AGP cards will deliver same speeds in majority of workloads while being problem free (minus the getting OC stable part).

True, BX is epic, particularly in terms of how long it lasted in a time of massive change and performance improvement.

Still, for ease of actually finding boards, Via ApolloPro133A is hard to beat, and for top performance I prefer SiS 635 or i840 (although I can't get mine to run with Tualatin...)

Sis635t is great fast Tualatin chipset, sadly the bios for it is limited in features compared to Coppermine chipsets.

Reply 44 of 63, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote on 2022-03-24, 17:16:

IMO a lot of the most sought after equipment is overrated, and maybe none more so than the Tualatin. Compared to a 1ghz copper mine CPU you can find all day at 5$, the Tualatin only extends the serviceability of the machine by at most two years. If you want to play games from after 2002 you are just better off building a faster computer.

I guess function and need are secondary concerns concerns in this hobby. Whether DOS era or later, it is still possible to build a cheap computer to play games without compromising on anything you are likely to miss.

Most definitely. Plus DOSbox on a modern PC actually works fine (if not better) for almost everything out there. Practicality hardly comes into it.

That said, there's much worse out there than Tualatin. Take a look at the Cx5x86-133. Sure, it's probably the fastest So3 chip (except in benchmarks won by OC'd Am5x86-160 or FPU stuff on PODP-83), but nothing it can do can't be done by a dirt cheap Pentium. Etc. etc etc. 😉

Reply 45 of 63, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I spotted a motherboard with a blue Socket 370 in an e-waste scrapyard two weeks ago; didn't have any Tualatin so I didn't bother looking up its make and model.

To brian105: try e-waste scrapyards in your area if there's any. OTOH If you don't need ISA then just grab a Socket 478 P4 or (preferably) Athlon 64 or Sempron on Sockets 762/939. They run late Win9x games with ease and are way cheaper than a Tualatin build. For the record I've got a Coppermine P3-800 and a Sempron 3100+ (1.8 GHz) for early and late Win9x games, respectively, and the price of two builds combined is still cheaper than a single Tualatin build (unless you get lucky from e-waste or a hand-me-down).

Reply 46 of 63, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

[...]

That explains a lot 😉

SiS pathetic? Take a look at the 635, it's arguably the fastest of all the So370 platforms. Even the SiS 630S is pretty decent.

Lets just say Im not inspired 😀 https://www.anandtech.com/show/700/9
and 635T, wasnt there only one motherboard, ECS P6S5AT, ever manufactured with it? That sounds rare. Ebay "search sold" returns no entries for P6S5AT at all.

My EUR 15 B-stepping 815E says otherwise.

15 euro sounds like a lot of luck or office PC no OC options board.

Definitely. Tualatin was hardly a thing in 2001 in my neck of the woods. Full Pentium 3 Tualatins were stupid expensive, Celerons were cheap, but required special new motherboards, converters werent available (lin-lin came up with one in 2003, a year after Intel discontinued Tualatins) and nobody figured out the mods yet. Moneyed people just paid for P4, clever went with Athlons, thrifty jumped on Socket A Durons, poor and uninformed had P4 Celerons 😀. People too poor to upgrade whole platforms were left with overclocked Coppermine Celerons or second hand P3s. Desperate and delusional fitted K6-3s to their socket 7s 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 47 of 63, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-24, 08:52:

GF3 ti 200 (some OEM card which probably one of THE slowest GF3s out there 🤣)

It's slow but its passively cooled which means you don't have to worry about fan failure killing the card.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 48 of 63, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-03-24, 19:44:

Most definitely. Plus DOSbox on a modern PC actually works fine (if not better) for almost everything out there. Practicality hardly comes into it.

That said, there's much worse out there than Tualatin. Take a look at the Cx5x86-133. Sure, it's probably the fastest So3 chip (except in benchmarks won by OC'd Am5x86-160 or FPU stuff on PODP-83), but nothing it can do can't be done by a dirt cheap Pentium. Etc. etc etc. 😉

My daily driver retro PC is a Cx5x86-120 and I will take that one step further; The Cx5x86 does nothing that a DX4-100 can't do and does nothing that you need a Pentium for - so in those regards it is an even dumber CPU to covet than the Tualatin. Yet, I love it, and it's my favorite PC. This hobby was never meant to make sense..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 49 of 63, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-03-24, 20:53:
Lets just say Im not inspired :) https://www.anandtech.com/show/700/9 and 635T, wasnt there only one motherboard, ECS P6S5AT, ev […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

[...]

That explains a lot 😉

SiS pathetic? Take a look at the 635, it's arguably the fastest of all the So370 platforms. Even the SiS 630S is pretty decent.

and 635T, wasnt there only one motherboard, ECS P6S5AT, ever manufactured with it? That sounds rare. Ebay "search sold" returns no entries for P6S5AT at all.

Definitely. Tualatin was hardly a thing in 2001 in my neck of the woods. Full Pentium 3 Tualatins were stupid expensive, Celerons were cheap, but required special new motherboards, converters werent available (lin-lin came up with one in 2003, a year after Intel discontinued Tualatins) and nobody figured out the mods yet. Moneyed people just paid for P4, clever went with Athlons, thrifty jumped on Socket A Durons, poor and uninformed had P4 Celerons 😀. People too poor to upgrade whole platforms were left with overclocked Coppermine Celerons or second hand P3s. Desperate and delusional fitted K6-3s to their socket 7s 😀

ECS P6S5AT has a ton of clones, its easier to find the clone boards than it is to find the ECS one.

I have a PCChips variant which was then rebadged to Albatron ...so it does take a bit of digging to find them but I got mine off Ebay last year.

Reply 50 of 63, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-24, 22:15:
Lets just say Im not inspired :) https://www.anandtech.com/show/700/9 and 635T, wasnt there only one motherboard, ECS P6S5AT, ev […]
Show full quote

That explains a lot 😉

ECS P6S5AT has a ton of clones, its easier to find the clone boards than it is to find the ECS one.

I have a PCChips variant which was then rebadged to Albatron ...so it does take a bit of digging to find them but I got mine off Ebay last year.

Would you have the model numbers of some of those clones? I looked for a while for 635T boards on fleaBay and nothing came up except those space wasting RAM listings.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 51 of 63, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2022-03-24, 21:31:

It's slow but its passively cooled which means you don't have to worry about fan failure killing the card.

Yes, this is actually one of the reasons why I picked it, another one was its looks (it's not just all about the bling bling for me 😋). Another one is that I simply don't have a 'proper' GF3 (and certainly not a GF3 ti500 one!) and I really wanted to use a GF3.

Though, the fact that it didn't come with active cooling doesn't mean this cooling solution is guaranteed to be sufficient for the card. I can't remember how the system held up, I never used it that much and preferred to use my Coppermine 933 Rambus rig (my VC820 board based rig).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 52 of 63, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree with what dionb mentioned about this. I think we should be glad that Coppermine CPUs can still be had for good prices 🙂

In a way you are correct, Tualatin is mostly a step-up from the already capable Coppermine. Like I said, it's basically a Coppermine ultra (especially the Pentium 3 Tualatin s) and having the highest clock of something is usually disproportionately more expensive (and wanted by lots apparently) than the 'standard' parts that are often merely clocked a little bit lower.

dormcat wrote on 2022-03-24, 20:45:

I spotted a motherboard with a blue Socket 370 in an e-waste scrapyard two weeks ago; didn't have any Tualatin so I didn't bother looking up its make and model.

To brian105: try e-waste scrapyards in your area if there's any. OTOH If you don't need ISA then just grab a Socket 478 P4 or (preferably) Athlon 64 or Sempron on Sockets 762/939. They run late Win9x games with ease and are way cheaper than a Tualatin build. For the record I've got a Coppermine P3-800 and a Sempron 3100+ (1.8 GHz) for early and late Win9x games, respectively, and the price of two builds combined is still cheaper than a single Tualatin build (unless you get lucky from e-waste or a hand-me-down).

I hope you didn't leave the motherboard there because if so then you missed out on getting a fully capable Coppermine board with more modern features 😋
And I think the blue CPU sockets look kinda cool 😎

Report spammers here!

Reply 53 of 63, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-25, 14:50:

Yes, this is actually one of the reasons why I picked it, another one was its looks (it's not just all about the bling bling for me 😋). Another one is that I simply don't have a 'proper' GF3 (and certainly not a GF3 ti500 one!) and I really wanted to use a GF3.

Though, the fact that it didn't come with active cooling doesn't mean this cooling solution is guaranteed to be sufficient for the card. I can't remember how the system held up, I never used it that much and preferred to use my Coppermine 933 Rambus rig (my VC820 board based rig).

A Ti500 would be nice .. but on Ebay they are stupidly expensive and there are not a lot of them on there either 🙁

I settled for a nice V8200 Deluxe since it also came with the Glasses, I got a nice Ti200 too with lovely anodised blue heat sinks. (I dont really go for bling either but the anodised blue is really eye catching)

Reply 54 of 63, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What you are describing here is actually a fairly accurate representation of how things here in The netherlands seemed to have gone back then. EDIT: Fellow Dutchies feel free to chime in on this! 😜
Very few people actually bothered with Tualatin and if they did then the highest clocked CPU I think I ever seen used ina system build in those days is the Tualatin 1.2GHz (the 256k cache one).
The vast majority basically jumped from Coppermine (or even older architectures like (s)s7 or Slot based) straight to either the overhyped Pentium 4 or to Athlon and Athlon XP (or hyperthreading Celeron (only a few) and Duron (also just a couple but Celeron had such a bad name at the time that this was mostly OEMs while Duron was considered a clever budget choice).

It's one of the reasons I believe Tualatin boards were never common here in The Netherlands. People saw little reason to invest in Tualatin when the future was seen as hyperthreading (for Intel lovers) and DDR (for both camps).

One odd thing btw is that the majority of Tualatin boards I did see for sale here, are of just a couple makes, mostly ASUS TUSL2-C and I think also ASUS TUV4X. I think this is just a NL thing, ASUS seems to have been really popular back then. And still is to a certain extend.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2022-03-25, 15:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 55 of 63, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-25, 15:03:

A Ti500 would be nice .. but on Ebay they are stupidly expensive and there are not a lot of them on there either 🙁

I settled for a nice V8200 Deluxe since it also came with the Glasses, I got a nice Ti200 too with lovely anodised blue heat sinks. (I dont really go for bling either but the anodised blue is really eye catching)

I'm perfectly ok with having a straight standard and bland boring average GeForce 3 actually 😊
I'm ok with using a FX 5900 ultra, but I'm just as happy to test a TNT2 M64 to the max 😜
It's nice when one has the option to try either out and this is where prices can be a pain these days.

I used Tully 1400 because I wanted to try out a maxed pentium 3 but I liked my (for some people hopelessly boooring!) Celeron 800 rig just as much! 🙂
And yes, the anodized coloring is often really nice! Hercules made some nice blue-looking stuff back then.
It seemed to be the time when manufacturers seemed to think: Less green and more of everything else PCB colors! 😋

Report spammers here!

Reply 56 of 63, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-25, 15:17:
I'm perfectly ok with having a straight standard and bland boring average GeForce 3 actually 😊 I'm ok with using a FX 5900 ultra […]
Show full quote

I'm perfectly ok with having a straight standard and bland boring average GeForce 3 actually 😊
I'm ok with using a FX 5900 ultra, but I'm just as happy to test a TNT2 M64 to the max 😜
It's nice when one has the option to try either out and this is where prices can be a pain these days.

I used Tully 1400 because I wanted to try out a maxed pentium 3 but I liked my (for some people hopelessly boooring!) Celeron 800 rig just as much! 🙂
And yes, the anodized coloring is often really nice! Hercules made some nice blue-looking stuff back then.
It seemed to be the time when manufacturers seemed to think: Less green and more of everything else PCB colors! 😋

I like the red PCBs that ATI and a few motherboard fabs would use, sadly we dont see red boards anymore .. just the usual black ones and occasionally a white one.

Testing a TnT2 M64 to the max wouldn't take much 🤣, the question is ..wait no it cant run crysis no shaders.

Reply 57 of 63, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-25, 15:11:
What you are describing here is actually a fairly accurate representation of how things here in The netherlands seemed to have g […]
Show full quote

What you are describing here is actually a fairly accurate representation of how things here in The netherlands seemed to have gone back then. EDIT: Fellow Dutchies feel free to chime in on this! 😜
Very few people actually bothered with Tualatin and if they did then the highest clocked CPU I think I ever seen used ina system build in those days is the Tualatin 1.2GHz (the 256k cache one).
[...]

Belgium here, but close enough as we share a common language 😀 . The Tualatins here were for a short period popular as low-cost alternatives to the agressively pushed P4's. For those not willing to board with AMD but neither willing to part with lots of cash, not a lot of options were open when the S423 and the early S478's hit the market. The Tualerons were bottom-of-the-market options. On the server side, the 1,26 and 1,4 PIII-S were quite popular, albeit for a short time as well.

Most of my 1,4 were collected from discarded Proliant DL380 G2's in the late 2000's.

Reply 58 of 63, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-25, 15:28:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-25, 15:17:
I'm perfectly ok with having a straight standard and bland boring average GeForce 3 actually 😊 I'm ok with using a FX 5900 ultra […]
Show full quote

I like the red PCBs that ATI and a few motherboard fabs would use, sadly we dont see red boards anymore .. just the usual black ones and occasionally a white one.

Testing a TnT2 M64 to the max wouldn't take much 🤣, the question is ..wait no it cant run crysis no shaders.

Even MSI seemed to stop making red PCBs at some point. I think black PCBs look alright but I start minding if all I see is black -_- (and especially black plugs which makes it harder to see what I'm doing and trying to plug into what at what orientation).

Well, that's rather poor wording on my part 🤣, I was more referring to trying out lots of different games (to experience the good bad and ugly first hand) and not just benchmarking as the speed (or lack of) is already known by now anyway 😋

Report spammers here!

Reply 59 of 63, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
flupke11 wrote on 2022-03-25, 16:21:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-25, 15:11:
What you are describing here is actually a fairly accurate representation of how things here in The netherlands seemed to have g […]
Show full quote

[...]

[...]

Belgium here, but close enough as we share a common language 😀 . The Tualatins here were for a short period popular as low-cost alternatives to the agressively pushed P4's. For those not willing to board with AMD but neither willing to part with lots of cash, not a lot of options were open when the S423 and the early S478's hit the market. The Tualerons were bottom-of-the-market options. On the server side, the 1,26 and 1,4 PIII-S were quite popular, albeit for a short time as well.

Most of my 1,4 were collected from discarded Proliant DL380 G2's in the late 2000's.

I would think Tualatin (and particularly the 512kb variant) was a lot more popular in the server market because Tualatin-s seemed much easier to find than the standard Tualatin (the one with 256kb that is not the Tualeron). I've never even seen a 1.4GHz 256kb Pentium 3 in the flesh, but 1.4GHz was easy to get on ebay, which is where I got my chips from iirc.

Report spammers here!