VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a geforce 2 mx 400

-It won’t display in the bios from dvi but will from vga

-it hangs the system keeping it from booting or sometimes even finishing post (hangs after hdd detection). (Even when it is the only card) slot doesn’t seem to matter.

Anyone have one of these? Have you figured out what’s up with it?

System specs: tyan s1564 dual pentium mmx 512mb ram windows xp sp2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 15, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man, I am envious from the mobo alone. That said, I think it may be something to do with the PCI version that you might be using. Something tells me the motherboard does not properly know how to speak to the card -so to speak - so you might want to try the card on another motherboard -something a bit more recent, like a PIII - and test it that way. See if drivers finish loading and if you can, stress it for a bit with anything that will put it's 3D to work. I never thought there'd be a PCI version of that card but I can clearly see the level shifters so that might also be an issue there. Like I said. It seems that the motherboard cannot properly "see" the card, therefore it sets it to a very basic "vga" mode. Let me know how it turned out.

Reply 3 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Donovan V. wrote on 2022-03-26, 16:46:

Man, I am envious from the mobo alone. That said, I think it may be something to do with the PCI version that you might be using. Something tells me the motherboard does not properly know how to speak to the card -so to speak - so you might want to try the card on another motherboard -something a bit more recent, like a PIII - and test it that way. See if drivers finish loading and if you can, stress it for a bit with anything that will put it's 3D to work. I never thought there'd be a PCI version of that card but I can clearly see the level shifters so that might also be an issue there. Like I said. It seems that the motherboard cannot properly "see" the card, therefore it sets it to a very basic "vga" mode. Let me know how it turned out.

I can’t seem to get pci video to work on any of my agp mobos. So I’m kinda limited for that test, and it still won’t show anything on dvi in post screen… ugh,

Is there a way to edit the video bios or something? Surely the problem is there?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-03-26, 18:08:

The system hang sounds like a resource conflict to me.

With only one card in it?

It works on vga until it tries to finish post.

How do I solve a resource conflict with only one card installed 🤣. It has all the resources😂

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 15, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-26, 19:27:

I can’t seem to get pci video to work on any of my agp mobos. So I’m kinda limited for that test, and it still won’t show anything on dvi in post screen… ugh,

Is there a way to edit the video bios or something? Surely the problem is there?

Hmmmm... I've gotten AGP Motherboards to post both with ISA and PCI cards. If that is the case, maybe the card kinda kicked the bucket? Any motherboard should be able to make it post. Consider clearing the Cmos first though.

Either that or, like you mentioned, the card's bios. Hopefully you'll be able to find a complete and updated one.

Reply 6 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Donovan V. wrote on 2022-03-26, 19:42:

Hmmmm... I've gotten AGP Motherboards to post both with ISA and PCI cards. If that is the case, maybe the card kinda kicked the bucket? Any motherboard should be able to make it post. Consider clearing the Cmos first though.

Either that or, like you mentioned, the card's bios. Hopefully you'll be able to find a complete and updated one.

No, the motherboards I am using don’t like to post to pci even if set in bios. Idk why. I’ve tried with good other cards.

My available hardware is limited. Socket 7 or socket 775 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 7 of 15, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can confirm that PCI video card compatibility is very difficult to predict. I have lots of examples of motherboards that will not post with certain cards that with fine in others.

Whenever I have the kind of instability you're describing, it usually stems from the capacitors going bad, causing the card to become unstable. I've also seen this when plugging in a card I've received for the first time, making me think that the card is defective, but the problem disappears after a few power cycles. I chalk this up to the capacitors reforming after drifting too far out of spec, if they are able to do so.

Has anyone else tested hardware that seems defective but comes back to life on it's own?

That's a really nice card. I hope you get it working.

Reply 8 of 15, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-26, 19:49:

No, the motherboards I am using don’t like to post to pci even if set in bios. Idk why. I’ve tried with good other cards.

You just might have a better chance of making it work on a socket 775 (I've tested lots of very old cards in newer boards) than the other way around.

On a separate note, sorry I could'nt reply to you man, I'm still too much of a n00b here to do that. Hopefully its just an incompatibility issue.

Reply 9 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Donovan V. wrote on 2022-03-27, 14:39:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-26, 19:49:

You just might have a better chance of making it work on a socket 775 (I've tested lots of very old cards in newer boards) than the other way around.

On a separate note, sorry I could'nt reply to you man, I'm still too much of a n00b here to do that. Hopefully its just an incompatibility issue.

Yeah, but making it work on 775 serves no purpose for me. (But also, I can’t get it to work there either)

I’m trying to use it to make a really fast dual pentium 1 or K6-3+400 mobo setup. These cards are supposed to be among the fastest that will work on these processors.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 15, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sure that booting to a PCI video card works as expected with something basic like an S3 Virge. Then confirm that the GeForce 2 PCI works in a modern machine. Work your way from there.

Another issue could be that this card requires 3.3V and there is something wrong with this circuitry on the motherboard, or it can't provide enough amps. This is very common with early PCI slots prior to the turn of the millennium. A good indicator for support is when manufacturers added color to the rear I/O ports.

See here:

Why some video cards refuse to work in some systems even when paired period correct hardware?

Two FX 5500s but only one works in my 440EX

Reply 12 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-03-30, 16:15:

Do you happen to know the pci spec of your Tyan Mobo vs the pci spec of the video card?

I think the tyan is 2.1? dono about the card

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 13 of 15, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could be as simple as the video card is a newer PCI spec and won't work in that motherboard. I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but I've seen that be a problem with other builds here on vogons and ice had that issue pop up in builds I've done in the past

Reply 14 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know about the booting issues, but

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-26, 15:37:

-It won’t display in the bios from dvi but will from vga

are you using a KVM? Cards with dual output sometimes don't realize which port is connected when a KVM is involved, so you're forced to use whichever it has defaulted to enabling.

Something similar might happen (not sure) if you use a multi-input monitor and the monitor isn't switched to that input at the time the card boots up.

Reply 15 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No kvm

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-