VOGONS

Common searches

Any Unreal Tournament gamers here?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Loved UT99 Back in the day. I played the Demo alot Until one of my Older Brother in laws gave me a Burned CD with the official update That disabled CD checking but was more into Counter Strike 1.4-1.6 by then. AMD K6 400mhz I think and Fx 5500 agp. Now I occasionally hop on UT4Alpha. I would like a Vogons UT server 😀

Reply 23 of 38, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only play Unreal (without the "227 OldUnreal Edition patch" abomination)

I did host a game of UT99 specifically for clueless1 but we never did get back in touch for more gaming, real life can be like that I guess.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 24 of 38, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thread reminds me of a big question: Did you play UT2003 or 2004? I played so much UT99, but I could never play the next game of the series.

I can't finish this post without talking about Unreal 2, it is amazing. It is a pity that this game was forgotten.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-26, 22:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 38, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaiser77_1982 wrote on 2022-03-25, 09:17:

This thread reminds me of a big question: Did you play UT2003 or 2004? I played so much UT99, but I could never play the next game of the series.

I can't finish this post without talking about Unreal 2, it is amazing. It is a pity that this game was forgotten.

I was obsessed with UT back in the day, can't even try to guess how many hours I sank in that game. Still love the game and its soundtrack.

Didn't play much of UT2003 and can't remember much of anything about it, it was replaced by UT2004 so quickly. Didn't play UT2004 all that much either, never connected with it like with the original UT. Never played UT3 but I did happen to get it some time ago when I bought a cheap box of games that had one game I specifically wanted. I doubt I will like it all that much but I'll give it a shot some day.

I remember kinda liking Unreal 2 back when it was released but when I revisited it later it felt pretty lackluster. Haven't played it in years, maybe I should give it a try too.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-26, 22:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 26 of 38, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only reason I got into UT2003 and UT2004 was for the mods, I never really cared about the base game. That's still the case now.

I still wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to do anything UT99 related with me if you can put up with the fact I have played these games for years and I have a very bizzare sense of sportsmanship.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 28 of 38, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Big fan of UT99. Been playing it almost daily for the past month or so. 😁

Never got into the subsequent UT games, although I should probably give them another chance.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 29 of 38, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2022-03-25, 10:29:

I remember kinda liking Unreal 2 back when it was released but when I revisited it later it felt pretty lackluster. Haven't played it in years, maybe I should give it a try too.

I played Unreal 2 after Doom 2016 and the first Unreal and I enjoyed so much. I like so much the history, in fact, I almost cried for Ne'Ban. It was lovely.

Reply 30 of 38, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-03-25, 14:04:

Big fan of UT99. Been playing it almost daily for the past month or so. 😁

Never got into the subsequent UT games, although I should probably give them another chance.

UT 2004 was the last good one, after that Epic just kind of ditched the game for Fortnite and we never got a modern UT.

Onslaught in 2004 is my favourite game type, even the bots play it pretty well.

Reply 31 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought UT3 was fine as a UT game (all things considered). It did definitely have launch issues and technical issues regarding the Gamespy account dependency though (later resolved with the Steam release), and UE3's new way of defining addons (install into your documents and add long explicit lines manually!), cooked system ,etc. made it way less moddable than anticipated, so the addon scene couldn't flourish as much as it once did (especially as corporate community hosting was downsizing and mobile game companies were rapidly growing to replace their interest at this point in time). It was a rare console moddable game though.

Then UDK came out and pretty much all could've-been-large-scale-UT3-mods became UDK games instead. And then there's that one UDK game that sells itself as a 1999 game while looking very UT3 derivative pretending like UT3 never existed...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 32 of 38, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-03-28, 09:22:

I thought UT3 was fine as a UT game (all things considered). It did definitely have launch issues and technical issues regarding the Gamespy account dependency though (later resolved with the Steam release), and UE3's new way of defining addons (install into your documents and add long explicit lines manually!), cooked system ,etc. made it way less moddable than anticipated, so the addon scene couldn't flourish as much as it once did (especially as corporate community hosting was downsizing and mobile game companies were rapidly growing to replace their interest at this point in time). It was a rare console moddable game though.

Then UDK came out and pretty much all could've-been-large-scale-UT3-mods became UDK games instead. And then there's that one UDK game that sells itself as a 1999 game while looking very UT3 derivative pretending like UT3 never existed...

Epic was working on a modern UT version alongside Fortnite but when Fortnite took off they pretty much dumped the UT beta they were working on and we haven't heard anything more about it since other than its been shelved. Its a shame as the beta they did have was actually not bad at all as they had a lot of what made UT 2004 great in it, it felt like they were planning to bring UT 2004 into the modern era while adding in new game modes. Since I consider UT99 and 2004 to be the best of the UT games I would have bought it day one ...shit even a pre order would have been on the cards I was really looking forward to a new UT game.

I guess the lure of Fortnite easy MTX money and EGS sucking up the spare cash with free games really put the nail in UT for the time being.

Reply 33 of 38, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-03-28, 09:22:

Yeah, I quite liked UT3's return to certain things when it came to weapons. The enforcers, the GES Bio Rifle exploding when you shoot it rather than "growing" the blob over and over. The shield belt being a different thing again rather than just a generic "everything is a shield" in UT200x. Helmets to defend against sniper rifle headshots. (Oh and the sniper rifle being standard rather than a occasional Onslaught gun)

But, boy golly was UT3 unstable as all heck when it came out originally. I remember the launch of the first demo and I couldn't even get that to run without severe framerate issues and constant crashes.

Oh yeah, and also AW SMACK! AW SMACK! AW SMACK! AW SMACK! EFF YEAH! OH I'M ON FIRE!

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 35 of 38, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not much of an FPS guy, but I do like UT99, relatively speaking for the genre.
I don't like playing much of anything online, but I can enjoy UT99 if I play against bots that I can beat.
If I'm actually having a struggle, then I just get frustrated and don't enjoy it. That to me is a good sign that this just isn't my genre. I do like difficulty in other types of games, but it easily frustrates me in FPSes.

The last FPS I spent real time playing was UT2004, and that was always against AI. Sometimes I'd spectate online games but I never joined them.
The last FPS I played at all (for about an hour) was some newer Call of Duty game on someones XBox360. My performance in online multiplayer was so pathetic it wasn't even frustrating anymore, it was just comical. I was pure target practice for everyone else. I managed 1 kill every other round. So I decided that any kill meant I won. In my greatest game, I had a moment where I laid prone and sniped players who were preoccupied with a much bigger firefight. Finally somebody noticed me and put me out of my misery, but not before I had scored *two* kills. It was awesome.

Whenever I build an appropriate system I do want to play through the original Unreal. The atmosphere of that game seems pretty cool.

Reply 36 of 38, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, my buddies and I used to play UT99 all the time. We were mostly using our craptastic 33.6k modems, except on rare occasions when we had access to a LAN environment, but it was still great.

Prior to that, we used to play Quake 2 and Duke3D, but for some reason, we could never get into Quake 3. To this day, I don't particularly like that game. Somehow, the physics of Quake 3 feel weird to me, the sound seems oddly muddled, and the weapons just aren't satisfying to use. In contrast, every single weapon in UT99 seems like it has a distinct purpose, and the cool sounds that they make are ingrained into my mind to this day.

EDIT - just to clarify what I mean about Quake 3 sound being muddled. Positional audio using A3D 2.0 is excellent in that game. Probably one of the best uses of Aureal's Vortex2 hardware, and I have zero issues with that. It's the sound design that I don't like. In particular, the sounds that Quake 3 weapons make when firing and hitting opponents just seem weird, especially compared to how awesome everything sounds in UT99. Might just be personal preference.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 37 of 38, by sacri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And XMP

Reply 38 of 38, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I liked the later UTs too, but they were never quite as good as the original. There is something in the balance, speed, maps and responsiveness that makes UT99 slightly above all others

quake 3 is really fun, but not quite as sharp in some of the maps and weapons

I played UT99 offline mostly and could win all except a struggle with the final deathmatch! Online though, i have memories of early 56k modem play - my first ventures in online UT and being wiped out by the very many expert players! 😀