VOGONS

Reply 21320 of 27170, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I wrote some floppies, and proved to myself that both the 3.5 and 5.25 Apple II drives are working. So, naturally, I played Oregon Trail.

67021175979__E692B1FA-81D3-4198-9962-5B0029C453B9.jpg
Filename
67021175979__E692B1FA-81D3-4198-9962-5B0029C453B9.jpg
File size
877.59 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 21321 of 27170, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm so familiar with things like the Apple ][ and the Atari 2600 that I have 0 nostalgia feels for them. I have far better feelings for things that weren't such a common part of my life when I was young. Enough hands on time to hold a reverence for them but not enough to have experienced all I would ever want to.

CGA video falls into that category too, but I love some EGA, the last standard that still felt like computer graphics. To me VGA and beyond (with the exception of the Amiga) feel too modern. Amiga ECS chipset still has a vintage feel despite the increased color palette.

Reply 21322 of 27170, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaned the thermal goo from the GF3, it was as usual cemented to the damn chip, the usual procedure turn the fan off, leave the card in the bios to cook itself for 20-30 min, so then to remove the damn cement nice and easy, without the chip coming off the PCB alongside with the cooler...

20220228_144205 - Copy.jpg
Filename
20220228_144205 - Copy.jpg
File size
707.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Gathered some of the parts for the new high end 939 system i will build. But it is still in the process of selecting what to use exactly.

for example Radeon x1950XTX CF edition or GEforce 7950 GX2
as memory 2GB Mushkin DDR500 Blackline vs 2GB Corsair XMS Pro DDR450 LED
what cooler to put Zalman CNPS 7000Cu or TT Sonic Tower (with a fan ofc)

The current parts that are for sure to be used

AMD Opteron 165 1800 MHz (waiting to get a damn FX or Opteron 185/ 190..)
MSI K9N Diamond nForce 590 SLI 939 (that damn thing needs VRM heatsink upgrade, and a fan to the chipset, as it gets hot to the point of melting...)
Silverstone TemJin TJ07B-W
HDD some crap 80GB Hitachi SATA II, dont have anything better for the moment
EnermaX Liberty Eco 500W semi-modular
LG DVD RW IDE

Attachments

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 21323 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the GeForce 3. It's almost a fast as a GeForce 2 Ultra, has just enough pixel shader support to be useful, and works with very old drivers. In my testing, this is the newest graphics card by NVIDIA that would work properly in my Super Socket 7. Newer cards required newer drivers, and all of them have some kind of lag on this platform.

Reply 21324 of 27170, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-29, 14:49:

I love the GeForce 3. It's almost a fast as a GeForce 2 Ultra, has just enough pixel shader support to be useful, and works with very old drivers. In my testing, this is the newest graphics card by NVIDIA that would work properly in my Super Socket 7. Newer cards required newer drivers, and all of them have some kind of lag on this platform.

Its also 100% compatible with Xbox era PC ports .. like Splinter Cell/Pandora Tomorrow where on anything other than a GF3 the shadows/lighting are broken, the GF3 has the special Hardware Shadow Buffer since its really just the Xbox GPU built for PC to show off what it was capable of and to buy nVidia time for GF4.

GPUs since the GF3 dont have the capability to use this method but people have fixed it for the Splinter cell games using other methods modern GPUs do support.

Here is a run down of the issue https://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/scellpt/

So really if you want to fully enjoy Xbox PC ports then using a GF3 is your best bet.

Reply 21325 of 27170, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't really been in a mood for tinkering with hardware for some time now, but finally got off my ass and threw in the SSD I've been meaning to install to my DOS/Win98SE PC for the past, dunno, 2-3 months? Also put in a 80mm case fan to push air out of the case and tried to MacGyver a 40mm fan to Voodoo 3 3ooo but turned out I don't really have a good way to do so. I could easily install it to Voodoo 3 2000 with right size screws but looks like getting a PCI fan bracket is the easier thing to do with V3 3000.

After getting everything installed I realized I had completely forgotten I was supposed to get a SPDIF cable to go between the CD drive and the Audigy 2 I've got in there, for some reason the CD audio line spews out constant garble when connected via a normal analog cable even when there's no CD in the drive. I had just muted it and forgot the whole thing as I haven't been playing anything with redbook audio.

While swapping WDM drivers to VXD with the tool that came with the creative drivers for Audigy 2 I noticed that it said to cancel out of the "found new hardware" promt after rebooting, no wonder it got messed up real good the last time I did that not noticing that bit. It's beneficial to read the text that explains what to do, the more you know!

Reply 21326 of 27170, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-03-29, 16:21:

Also put in a 80mm case fan to push air out of the case and tried to MacGyver a 40mm fan to Voodoo 3 3ooo but turned out I don't really have a good way to do so. I could easily install it to Voodoo 3 2000 with right size screws but looks like getting a PCI fan bracket is the easier thing to do with V3 3000.

I find best way to put a fan on a V III card is with some cable ties as i call them, i use that all the time (you when you have new lets say power cable it is held together with small coil) to attach fans whatever i need them to..

Other more cool way is after market cooler such as this Zalamn VGA cooler...

20200509_121749.jpg
Filename
20200509_121749.jpg
File size
483.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20200509_121838.jpg
Filename
20200509_121838.jpg
File size
572.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 21327 of 27170, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-29, 17:55:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-03-29, 16:21:

Also put in a 80mm case fan to push air out of the case and tried to MacGyver a 40mm fan to Voodoo 3 3ooo but turned out I don't really have a good way to do so. I could easily install it to Voodoo 3 2000 with right size screws but looks like getting a PCI fan bracket is the easier thing to do with V3 3000.

I find best way to put a fan on a V III card is with some cable ties as i call them, i use that all the time (you when you have new lets say power cable it is held together with small coil) to attach fans whatever i need them to..

Yeah it did cross my mind a thin insulated wire would do the trick, but I don't have any around. The heatsink has convenient holes but there's some component on the PCB right where one of the holes is and I don't have thin enough zip tie to fit though there.

No matter, I need a PCI slot fan bracket for another build anyway so I might as well get another for this.

Reply 21328 of 27170, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(moved to right thread 😀 )

I was trying to install DOS, btw. not Windows, for testing some 486 boards and accessories. I spent another hour on the CFs today and threw them back in the bin (2 adapters and 2 CF cards, one 256M and one 8G). I could fdisk, format, copy files, but they wouldn't boot, and worse when they were in the system with *any* drive other than a floppy, for example the CF plus a HD, no matter what the master/slave relationship the system would try to boot the CF and fail. It seemed to steal the boot priority. One of the two adapters has a master/slave switch but it doesn't affect the problem.

I switched to a ISA/PCI 486 board and, after I got it set up, it wouldn't detect drives - well, by default the IDE is disabled, so that's fine. Detects, but detects a master drive as a slave and gets the name right and the parameters wrong. Even setting them manually doesn't get anything other than disk boot failure (2Gb Fujitsu with 500mb first partition I had just used on the previous DOS 486). The board support LBA, but won't detect CD-ROMs and thinks all HDs are on slave, whatever is set on the drive.

The good thing is the previous board was fine, memory and CPU fine despite momentary parity errors caused by... the ISA video card, a Sigma Designs 5GK-ACMVGA 256k with a mysterious jumper marked OWS/IRQ2/OWS-BIOS... it came set to OWS and worked fine in the P2, it would cause memory parity errors (and screen text corruption) on the 486 until I switched it to BIOS. Works fine. Little slow. Designed in Milpitas, CA, as an aside.

Luckily I have other ISA/PCI motherboards, and I already compared ISA and PCI boards on the P2, but I'd rather have this one working before I put it back on the shelf. I need to know when to postpone a project.

As far as the CF goes, none of my current systems have a CF reader, I need to set up a later system with that, like one of the 775s, and try using BootIt or whatever to deal with it rather than trying to format it from DOS/UBCD - which seems to sort of work but fails. It would save time and wear and tear to use it (they're the type that plugs directly into the board). I actually have two laptop IDE CF adapters, one of which supports 2 CF cards.

I also need to test the $1.49 Blu-Ray external mini USB drive. Needs a power adapter and not marked (well, it's center positive - my adjustable power supply doesn't go down to 5V, which is where I'd prefer to start).

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 21330 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sombrero wrote on 2022-03-29, 18:14:

No matter, I need a PCI slot fan bracket for another build anyway so I might as well get another for this.

Just thinking, do they even really need to be bought... I have enough random blanking plates, where I'd think of drilling a hole to bolt the top of one to the back of another, and then put 2 holes (76mmm apart?) for the fan in that one... then a little more fugly is attacking one with a hammer to flatten it out, screwing it to the case, and ziptieing the fan underneath it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21331 of 27170, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Continued to update my 8/16bit color only games list for Windows. All of the console ports I tested (Panzer Dragoon, etc.) and many of the DOS-to-Windows transition games (Need for Speed SE, etc.) only utilize DirectDraw, which I found interesting.

Reply 21332 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is because the DOS versions which used software rendering could easily be converted by drawing to the screen (hence DirectDraw) as they did previously. This uses 2D acceleration and none of the 3D interfaces, despite the game being 3D itself.

I did the same thing when writing a 3D engine in software. All you need is a surface to draw to and a command to plot a point at an x/y location with a color. I used an SDL library, which would call either GDI or some DirectDraw interface in the same way.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-03-30, 03:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21333 of 27170, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-29, 20:55:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-03-29, 18:14:

Just thinking, do they even really need to be bought... I have enough random blanking plates, where I'd think of drilling a hole to bolt the top of one to the back of another, and then put 2 holes (76mmm apart?) for the fan in that one... then a little more fugly is attacking one with a hammer to flatten it out, screwing it to the case, and ziptieing the fan underneath it.

Yeah they do need to be bought when you got handyman skills like mine 😬

Reply 21334 of 27170, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-03-29, 04:29:

I'm so familiar with things like the Apple ][ and the Atari 2600 that I have 0 nostalgia feels for them. I have far better feelings for things that weren't such a common part of my life when I was young. Enough hands on time to hold a reverence for them but not enough to have experienced all I would ever want to.

CGA video falls into that category too, but I love some EGA, the last standard that still felt like computer graphics. To me VGA and beyond (with the exception of the Amiga) feel too modern. Amiga ECS chipset still has a vintage feel despite the increased color palette.

It's all new ground for me. The IIGS was just on my list of white whales due to the modern rarity of them.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 21335 of 27170, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2022-03-27, 21:44:

Been playing around with Amiga emulators on a raspberry pi 400. Amiga for me was just games though so I feel lost in workbench..

Same deal with me, and I got the Amiga back then.

AmigaDOS ? Huh ?
AREXX ? What ?

Give me Syndicate or Dune, okthxbye Workbench.

Reply 21336 of 27170, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-03-30, 11:31:
Same deal with me, and I got the Amiga back then. […]
Show full quote
Joakim wrote on 2022-03-27, 21:44:

Been playing around with Amiga emulators on a raspberry pi 400. Amiga for me was just games though so I feel lost in workbench..

Same deal with me, and I got the Amiga back then.

AmigaDOS ? Huh ?
AREXX ? What ?

Give me Syndicate or Dune, okthxbye Workbench.

Don't get me wrong, I have always been interested in what those higher end Amigas could do but I only had my simple a500 with some extra memory I had to turn off with a switch to play winter games (if I remember correctly).

Reply 21337 of 27170, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did benchmark all my PCIe graphic cards to see if they're ok. 3 were broken.
Now I'm gonna benchmark all my AGP graphic cards. Found a GeForce 6800 GS (256MB) in the pile. Wasn't aware that I have a valuable AGP card beside my two Voodoos.

Reply 21338 of 27170, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, completely wasted evening. Night, even.

I did try to test a video card on a HP slimline to compare to the integrated video using XP, but I had a completely weird series of problems with a previously tested card that went all the way down to having to reinstall XP.

When I tried to set up the audio drivers, the drivers would not install because the Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture driver was missing. HP didn't have the driver and said to get it from Microsoft. Microsoft didn't have the driver because they dropped the standard. Even better, when they made SP3 they made it incompatible with the driver. So basically MS literally sabotaged this hardware for future use.

There's supposed to be some kind of whack hack patch somewhere but I may just rip out the best parts and run it over a few times. It's too bad because I love these tiny form factors, and everything but that seems to work... I hate to give up on hardware, especially getting rid of a smaller machine in favor of a larger one when I'm trying to reclaim space.

One of the things I ran into over the weekend was incompatibilities in different systems with different cards. I had like 7 PCI, AGP, and PCIe cards that would not post (beep errors) and 5 of them worked on different systems. Compatibility is largely a suggestion, it seems. At least the "dead" ISA card was just a mystery configuration issue, don't have enough of those to lose one.

Edit: I got the HP s7620n sound working by not following the directions and trying random crap. Of course. I'm not even sure the hotfix patch even made a difference, just ignore the warnings about UAA and install a generic chipset driver for the sound chipset.

Anyway, I did 3DMark99 (not really best for this time but to compare to older cards I tested this weeknd) and the Radeon Xpress 200m, which had a Passmark score of 23, had a 3DMark99 score of 11,486. The 8400 GS (installation of which was craaaaazy) has a Passmark score of 128 and a 3DMark99 score of 3996.

That makes NO sense at all. The only thing I can think of is that the 200m offloads most of the work to the T2600 CPU and the 8400GS does it all on the card? The 200m is supposed to be worthless and yet here I am. No, the scores weren't reversed, the 200m was tested without a card in the system.

I have a second 8400 GS, but it has a PCB post sticking down on the bracket end of the card for no adequately explained reason that interferes with a cap just past the end of the slot.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 21339 of 27170, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I benchmarked my 486! I've no idea what's good for a system like this but I guess it is what it is. CPU is an Am486DX4-100, Motherboard is a DataExpert EXP4045. Video card is a VLB S3 805 which claims to have come out of a DECpc according to the VGA BIOS. Disk controller is some random 16bit ISA thing. The disk seems awfully slow but I'm sure its normal enough and this is just the first time I've ever benchmarked a disk of this age.

bench.png
Filename
bench.png
File size
22.05 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
mem.png
Filename
mem.png
File size