Common searches

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Save space and money while building your dream computer ! 🤣
https://www.gog.com/en/game/pc_building_simulator

...just randomly discovered it. But looks like it has been around for a while, so this may be old news around here.
But really fits this forum/site, given that builds are (almost) all we talk about here. Have no idea if it has an option for Adlib Gold or Voodoo 6000 though....😮

Now on sale 62% off.

Reply 1 of 6, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote on 2022-03-31, 12:22:

Have no idea if it has an option for Adlib Gold or Voodoo 6000 though....😮

No it hasn't. -> Crap 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I watched somebody play that game on youtube 2-3 years ago. It looks kind of cool, but I could quickly tell I would get irritated at the assumptions the game makes about how it thinks you should go about troubleshooting and what "must" be wrong. I don't approach problems the same way the game's author does, so I think the game would make me feel like a frustrated employee working for some shop that forces me to do things in an unnatural way.
It would be hard to fix this - it's ability to simulate reality just has practical limitations. It also holds your hand too much IMO.
To be fair though, I haven't seen the game in ~3 years so my impression could be outdated.

One thing that would make it more interesting to me would be an option to set it to a year of your choosing, and see an appropriate distribution of the types of systems coming in for repair accordingly.
It would be fun to play in ~2000 for example, getting in lots of slot-1 machines, socket-370, socket-7s (maybe wanting an upgrade), a few 486s, and occasionally something really old would walk in the door like an IBM AT or whatever.
Or if you play in ~2005, you start seeing lots of bad caps.
I don't have nearly as much interest in modern PC hardware, and unfortunately that's what the game is all about.

This is the type of game that makes me think of how great it would be if other games could be combined with it.
I thought Test Drive Unlimited 2 was nice idle entertainment if you just want to drive around, but the world is empty. I'm not surprised it failed because there's nothing to do.
It would be great to be able to drive to the PC repair shop, ie this game, or any of 100 other "simulators" that could also be plugins for the same connected world. If a world building framework like that existed, then I'd be paying money for plugin-games like this.

Reply 5 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
javispedro1 wrote on 2022-03-31, 15:28:

But will it simulate the software side ? And by that I mean will it blue screen from time to time due to crappy drivers ?

On a side note, I've thought about making a game where the whole point of the game is to make the game work. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-03-31, 21:24:
javispedro1 wrote on 2022-03-31, 15:28:

But will it simulate the software side ? And by that I mean will it blue screen from time to time due to crappy drivers ?

On a side note, I've thought about making a game where the whole point of the game is to make the game work. 😁

Not a game idea per se, but getting this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rigs:_Over_the_Road_Racing to actually be playable without having access to source code might be a fun challenge for someone .