VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was offered what were described to be as large "flat screen" monitors. What I found were... flat glass CRTs! I mean, I guess they have flat screens, but I think that this description is a bit misleading nowadays.

They are otherwise excellent monitors and are in good condition, but I had to decline as I don't have anywhere to put them. I also don't keep any CRTs for personal use, as the correction from my glasses causes it to be painful to look at them.

Does anyone have any information on these?

20220330_200406_resize_2.jpg
Filename
20220330_200406_resize_2.jpg
File size
238.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220330_200354_resize_98.jpg
Filename
20220330_200354_resize_98.jpg
File size
144.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 9, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HOLY! Man, those things are BEAUTIFUL! Too bad I am too far away or I might be interested. I used to have the NEC (its internally a Sony. Well.. both of them are, anyways) they are a PAIN to adjust but once you do, they do look gorgeous for old games. It gives it this... "cinematic" feeling. Too bad your glasses are a problem. And I cant pick them up. 🙁 Might I suggest you get them and sell them? Im not suggesting that you might make a pretty penny out of them but hmmm... maybe? 🤣 Cheers.

Reply 2 of 9, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm considering going back to pick them up to sell them on, since they are in such good condition.

I live in a small apartment so I would have to put a lot of thought on where to store them so that they won't get damaged.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-04-02, 12:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The noble thing would be to pick them up and offer them for a modest profit to someone in the retro community ... 😉

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The usage of the term unfortunately got mangled later on, but that's exactly what "flat screen" actually means. 😀
I had a late flat-screened Sony Trinitron but it didn't last long due to some manufacturing defect. For a while it was beautiful though.
A family member had a 17" NEC FE700+ or FE770 or something like that (probably getting the model wrong). It always had a great picture. I'm guessing that FE1250+ is a bigger brother of that monitor.

If you think you can make some money on these then go for it. You'd be the one making the effort, finding space, and taking the risks involved with selling, so you deserve whatever value the market will give you for making these available to someone. 😀 The potential income will vary depending how quickly you want them gone and whether you ship or just sell local (which is less risky and probably easier).

If you do decide to sell them, make sure people know what the deal is with the horizontal black lines. They're normal for aperture grille monitors but some people don't understand that and might file a complaint, return for refund, etc.

Reply 7 of 9, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These would make perfect monitors for Pentium III or Athlon XP. 17" - 19" is ideal. Flatscreen CRTs were late models before they were phased out in favor of LCDs.

I would go back to pick them up if it's close and put them up for sale for a small profit.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS