VOGONS

Shuttle Hot 433 won't POST

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-02, 20:52:

Dude, is the upper right corner there, like, absent?

Ha - yeah. That was me going a bit ghetto in order to clear the stupid internally extended PSU connector on my modern m-ATX Thetis Classic case !

In my defence I did check there were no traces in that corner first ! 😉

Reply 22 of 84, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-02, 21:06:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-02, 20:52:

Dude, is the upper right corner there, like, absent?

Ha - yeah. That was me going a bit ghetto in order to clear the stupid internally extended PSU connector on my modern m-ATX Thetis Classic case !

In my defence I did check there were no traces in that corner first ! 😉

Did you just tell us that you cut of the edge of a Shuttle Hot-433 to make it fit a case?

Could someone with the skills here please adapt the classic Boromir meme to tell us that one does not simply do that?

I like jumpers.

Reply 23 of 84, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should POST with the dallas battery being flat (it's not rechargeable anyways), but it won't save the BIOS settings of course

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 24 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm - that Ver 4 full manual link you posted seems to suggest that 8 beeps is a keyboard controller failure (non-fatal error).

The keyboard I picked up had a PS/2 connector so I'm waiting on an AT to PS/2 adaptor before I can plug a keyboard in.

Will also pick up some known working EDO memory to replace the (unproven) RAM I currently have.

Last edited by Gary.H on 2022-04-02, 22:57. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 25 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-02, 21:19:

Did you just tell us that you cut of the edge of a Shuttle Hot-433 to make it fit a case?

Could someone with the skills here please adapt the classic Boromir meme to tell us that one does not simply do that?

Yeah I'm not proud but it'll polish out with a bit of T-Cut ! - probably 😉

Reply 26 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2022-04-02, 21:24:

It should POST with the dallas battery being flat (it's not rechargeable anyways), but it won't save the BIOS settings of course

What's the best course of action if the Dallas IS flat ?

I see a space and pads on the motherboard for fitting a CR2032 battery socket - easier to fit one or replace the Dallas chip ?

Reply 27 of 84, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll have to remove the DALLAS chip in any case.

If you want a CR2032 battery onboard you'll have to : replace the dallas with some regular RTC chip, add the socket and potentially add other stuff (32.768khz quartz, two capacitors ...).

If you keep the board the way it is, you'll have to either cut holes in the dallas chip to solder a battery holder to it or find an new dallas chip (or a modern replacement like this thing https://github.com/necroware/nwX287)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2022-04-02, 21:41:

If you keep the board the way it is, you'll have to either cut holes in the dallas chip to solder a battery holder to it or find an new dallas chip (or a modern replacement like this thing https://github.com/necroware/nwX287)

Thanks - that Necroware nwX287 looks compatible with my Dallas 12887A chip.

Reply 29 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-02, 21:24:

Will also pick up some known working EDO memory to replace the (unproven) RAM I currently have.

Actually - IF the Dallas is flat as I suspect then the BIOS will have gone back to its default settings. Seeing as you have to set EDO memory as an option in the BIOS I'm guessing the default memory configuration is probably FPM !

That would explain the 2 beep POST memory errors (a read of this Q: EDO vs. FPM - how to tell which is which post) and the data sheets for the part numbers on my memory confirm that it IS, in fact, EDO)

Makes sense to buy some FPM RAM in that case.

Reply 30 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still not sure why installing the ET4000 card results in no POST beeps at all though ?

If it's dead so produces no video signal that's understandable but why it causes the board not to produce any POST beeps is odd.

Reply 31 of 84, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to clean the PCI slots of the motherboard and the PCI connector of the card just in case.

Reply 32 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-02, 21:24:

Hmmm - that Ver 4 full manual link you posted seems to suggest that 8 beeps is a keyboard controller failure (non-fatal error).

The keyboard I picked up had a PS/2 connector so I'm waiting on a PS/2 to AT adaptor before I can plug a keyboard in.

Reply 34 of 84, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-03, 17:39:

Still the same 8 (and 2) POST beeps, so I guess the 8 beeps is the graphics card missing (not the keyboard) ?

There are Award and AMI BIOSes for the HOT433, I don't know the details for the rev.4 though.

If you have an AMI BIOS (that theory is supported by the sticker on your BIOS chip), 8 beeps is "graphics card". The 2 beeps (much later) would be "some post error happened, please press F1 to continue". In this case, the expected POST error is: "CMOS checksum error, defaults loaded". This sounds perfectly fine for a board with an old Dallas chip and no graphics card. Chances are good that every works out as soon as you get a working graphics card for that board.

Reply 35 of 84, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-02, 21:02:

Obligatory 'meeting John Romero' pic whilst he was being interviewed for PC Gamer magazine 😀

1648933157555.jpg

Very nice!

Regarding the board.
I had one 433 and once it refused to boot because some srams were faulty or not properly seated. If in doubt maybe remove all the sram ICs to remove another trouble factor. The Dallas, when it was empty, used to, at first, lock up the system in the BIOS menu and later, when it was "done for", prevented the board from coming to life.
Also take into account that, as member Feipoa once stated, the Hot433 boards seem to have a life of their own.
No guarantees though.

Maybe buy a diagnose card if you already haven't.

Reply 39 of 84, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As suspected the Dallas RTC is kaput. Says CMOS Low but won't hold any set values between reboots.

Luckily it's defaulting to EDO RAM so my EDO memory is checking out ok (was purchased as 32mb but is showing as 64Mb ?)

Attachments