VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ArturoYee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have OS X 10.3.9, and want to access the CDROM. Where is the documentaion ? or is it impossible.
Macs do not assign drive letters to drives -

Thanks in advance for the help,

Reply 5 of 14, by ArturoYee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the mount with the -t switch is for Windows -

Sorry about the confusion -

I did get the CD to mount - now is just figuring out why the application on the cd would not run.

And I posted this in the wrong forum - I am trying to use DosBox on a Mac, not trying to emulate a Mac.

Thanks all,

Arturo

Reply 6 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The -t cdrom is for any system, so if the game requires a cd
you should try it.
Otherwise please post more details about the problem
(error message, when exactly it happens, what game/program etc).

Reply 7 of 14, by ArturoYee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks - I found what I was doing wrong.

I just tried
mount d "/volumes/xxx" -t cdrom -ioctl

and it works. Earlier I was not using quotes - so I couldn't mount it as a cdrom.

But I was able to mount it as a drive without the quotes.

Thanks again for your patience....

Reply 9 of 14, by ArturoYee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Feel kinda of dumb - you are right. 😦
What I was doing was using the
\volumes\xxx
vs.
/volumes/xxx.

Actually got the software to run! 😁

But now trying to figure how to set the environment parameter for the temp path. Normally it is set in autoexec.bat. If I get that figured out, the only remaining hurdle is the expanded/extended memory allocation.

But those are different subjects - so this problem is SOLVED!

Thanks all

Reply 10 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well you can use something like "SET TEMP=C:\TEMP" if you have a
TEMP directory in your /volume/xxx
But of course depends on the game/app how they handle temporary
files, some use TMP or a custom method.

Reply 11 of 14, by ArturoYee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep - I've tried set the temp environment variable to c:\windows\temp and the set command seems to work. Typing SET repeats the enviroment settings.

I have the correct folders set up - went to the directories and verified that it is indeed there.

Program does not seem to see the definition.

Will post in DOSBox General for help on this problem - I think I need to have autoexec on Z: to define the temp folder.

I have to verify something on my DOS machine first.

Thanks for all the help -

Reply 12 of 14, by ArturoYee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well.....
I was taking stupid pills, again! I should cut back on them and not take so many.

My problem with the temp/tmp directories was again the / vs \ characters.

The software runs, but my new (and maybe final) problem is the software not recognizing the CD as a volume being mounted after it accesses the temp folder - I am posting this problem in the DOSBox General forum.

Thanks all,

Arturo

Reply 13 of 14, by All Hail The New Flesh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I've been reading this, and this has been a big help, I myself am a Mac OS X user, since we are in this subject and I am not trying to hijacked this topic, I am trying to play Under a Killing Moon, I've got it passed the sound get up but I can't get passed the "Please insert Disk 1 screen", The disk is in but it won't let me in the game. What am I doing wrong?

Reply 14 of 14, by ArturoYee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I found is that DosBox/Apps will recognize CDs (and diskettes?) if you create images of the media.

In addition, on the Macs - if the app is looking for a particular CD, it would fail. I think if the app is just looking for a CD with the right files on it, it should work.

What does not work may be is that the media label information is not passed to the app.

That is finally what caused my app not to work - it sees the cd, but did not want to run because it is the "wrong" CD.