VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I play a lot of older games on my Windows 11 PC with virtually no issues, however there are a few that just do not launch due to my Corsair AIO Cooler. Notable games are Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and pretty much any game running the Lithtech engine in the 90's (ie Blood II, Kiss Psycho Circus etc). In the picture I have circled in red what is the controller for the Cooler. It's basically a USB device and plugs into a USB header on my Motherboard. I can manually disable it by right clicking and selecting remove device, but it will reactivate itself if I plug or unplug any USB device. As it is the controller for the AIO I honestly don't want to disable it, but it does fix the issue with the games not launching. What I would like to know is has anyone ever ran into this issue before and do they know why it happens or do they at least know any other workaround that doesn't require me to remove the device?

Attachments

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly which AIO is it and do you run any software that interacts with it?

One thing that you could try is to disable EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled then restart the device. On this system it's in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04\6&279D3791&0&4\Device Parameters and yours will be almost the same, but 6&279D3791&0&4 will be different.

You could use the Menu->Tools->Link Devices panel of my SIV utility, uncheck the EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled then press [ Restart ]

file.php?id=134323

Attachments

• Link Devices.png
    Filename
    Link Devices.png
    File size
    59.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ✅EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 16, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-03, 23:03:
Exactly which AIO is it and do you run any software that interacts with it? […]
Show full quote

Exactly which AIO is it and do you run any software that interacts with it?

One thing that you could try is to disable EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled then restart the device. On this system it's in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04\6&279D3791&0&4\Device Parameters and yours will be almost the same, but 6&279D3791&0&4 will be different.

You could use the Menu->Tools->Link Devices panel of my SIV utility, uncheck the EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled then press [ Restart ]

file.php?id=134323

SO when i do this I get some error about corsair fucking stuff up 🤣. When I kill all corsair processes I still don't see a spot for power management. I have the Corsair H110i cooler.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Presbytier wrote on 2022-04-04, 02:57:

So when i do this I get some error about corsair fucking stuff up 🤣.
When I kill all corsair processes I still don't see a spot for power management. I have the Corsair H110i cooler.

Yes, the H110i protocol is such that you need to do write + read + write + read, as each read needs to be preceded by a write then a lock needs to be used to ensure such as write + write + read + read don't happen when two programs try to access the device at the same time. See https://siv.boards.net/thread/14/running-same … me-corsair-icue

As EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled is disabled/unchecked it can't be that which is causing the issue. I suspect the Corsair stuff must have disabled it.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-04, 05:15:

I am just here to comment that C-Media headphones prevent NFS1 from launching and I'll be following this thread.

Given this I suspect that the Lithtech engine is accessing HID devices that it should not be accessing and needs to be fixed. Given this probably can't be done then you could disable the AIO using device manager before you start the game and enable it once the game has started. It's also possible to disable and enable it using the devcon command, see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47530182/ … om-command-line

I don't think devcon.exe is there by default on W10 or W11 as it's part of the Windows WDK so I have attached it. I suspect the commands to use for the H110i are devcon disable "HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04" and devcon enable "HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04"

file.php?id=134337

Attachments

• devcon on my system.png
    Filename
    devcon on my system.png
    File size
    15.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    It worked for me
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    devcon.exe
    File size
    80 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File comment
    devcon disable "HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04"
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 16, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-04, 06:52:

Given this I suspect that the Lithtech engine is accessing HID devices that it should not be accessing and needs to be fixed. Given this probably can't be done then you could disable the AIO using device manager before you start the game and enable it once the game has started.

This is pretty much what I figured and what I have been doing already. I was just hoping to find another means is all. It's not hard to do (Although it took me forever to figure out this was the culprit 🤣). It's more like I keep thinking there has to be another way.

Reply 6 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Presbytier wrote on 2022-04-04, 12:45:

I was just hoping to find another means.

Without knowing why it's accessing the Corsair AIO it's hard to know where to start. I guess it could be scanning for HID Game controllers and the AIO get's confused, but this does not made sense as there is the Joystick API that should be used. It's also quite easy to get HID to tell you if it's a joystick before you directly access it.

Is there a configuration option to get it to skip specified Device IDs? Of so then try adding HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04.

Attachments

• Joysticks.png
    Filename
    Joysticks.png
    File size
    130.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

iCUE is a POS. My system would just randomly freeze. Took me forever to track it down to icue. Uninstalled that crap and system was completly stable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 16, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m honestly considering ripping out the AIO and replacing it with a quality heat sink and fan. It’s just a real pain and it’s not like it works right anyways as iCUE is constantly deleting my preferences and reseting it to defaults.

Reply 9 of 16, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've nearly the same AIO only mine doesn't have RGB on it. Point being, I'm using the BIOS on the mainboard to control the fans and pump and don't use any software for this and never had an issue. Now, the previous software I did have installed for all the MSI RGB stuff did seem to cause some issues for me, but again, I installed the software, set the RGB where I wanted it, and then removed the software. But I wasn't aware that the Corsair stuff even appears in the device manager?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 10 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the Corsair H110i cooler.

CrossBow777 wrote on 2022-04-06, 13:57:

I've nearly the same AIO only mine doesn't have RGB on it.

It would be far clearer if you specified the exact AIO model rather than "nearly the same AIO" as for example the H110i and H100i/H110i RGB Platinum have totally different HID characteristics with the protocols also being different, further some Corsair AIOs aren't even HID devices. I half suspect all would be OK with a H110i RGB Platinum, that said iPOO would still be suboptimal.

I wasn't aware that the Corsair stuff even appears in the device manager?

They will only appear in Device Manager when the USB cable is connected and even then the default names mean it's tricky to spot them.

Several years ago this annoyed me once too often so I got SIV to automatically set meaningful names when -AIOCTL is specified. Pressing [Restart] on [Link Devices] will also set the meaningful names.

file.php?id=134487

Attachments

Reply 11 of 16, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-06, 14:54:
It would be far clearer if you specified the exact AIO model rather than "nearly the same AIO" as for example the H110i and H1 […]
Show full quote

I have the Corsair H110i cooler.

I've nearly the same AIO only mine doesn't have RGB on it.

It would be far clearer if you specified the exact AIO model rather than "nearly the same AIO" as for example the H110i and H100i/H110i RGB Platinum have totally different HID characteristics with the protocols also being different, further some Corsair AIOs aren't even HID devices. I half suspect all would be OK with a H110i RGB Platinum, that said iPOO would still be suboptimal.

I wasn't aware that the Corsair stuff even appears in the device manager?

They will only appear in Device Manager when the USB cable is connected and even then the default names mean it's tricky to spot them.

Several years ago this annoyed me once too often so I got SIV to automatically set meaningful names when -AIOCTL is specified. Pressing [Restart] on [Link Devices] will also set the meaningful names.

file.php?id=134487

I did find a solution mostly. https://github.com/riverar/IndirectInput
There appears to be a device enumeration bug in modern versions of Windows. This wrapper does enable the games to run without needing to disable the AIO USB device. However Infernal Machine no longer detects a controller attached to the system. So like fine for games you only want to use a keyboard and mouse, but if you want to use a gamepad this wrapper doesn't seem to quite be up to snuff. Anyhow this at least gives me a better idea what is going on.

EDIT: Here is another wrapper that appears to fix a similar issue. It only supports keyboard and mouse too though. https://github.com/geeky/dinput8wrapper

Reply 12 of 16, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-06, 14:54:

My apologies, but I bought my AIO just over 2 years ago. It doesn't have any RGB on it other than just the CPU block lighting up with a white LED. Not even the fans have any LEDs on them. As a result, the only plugs on mine were just for the pump and fans. I don't recall anything being plugged into any of the USB headers on my mother board.

But I've been looking at replacing it out because the it seems the paint or silkscreen for the corsair logo that lights up, is actually painted within the water block housing because it has been fading with more and more of the back light coming through since I've owned it. Pretty sure that isn't normal.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 13 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-04, 06:52:
Given this I suspect that the Lithtech engine is accessing HID devices that it should not be accessing and needs to be fixed. G […]
Show full quote
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-04, 05:15:

I am just here to comment that C-Media headphones prevent NFS1 from launching and I'll be following this thread.

Given this I suspect that the Lithtech engine is accessing HID devices that it should not be accessing and needs to be fixed. Given this probably can't be done then you could disable the AIO using device manager before you start the game and enable it once the game has started. It's also possible to disable and enable it using the devcon command, see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47530182/ … om-command-line

I don't think devcon.exe is there by default on W10 or W11 as it's part of the Windows WDK so I have attached it. I suspect the commands to use for the H110i are devcon disable "HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04" and devcon enable "HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04"

file.php?id=134337

It has been quite sometime, and I just tested it today. Let's just clear some confusion, NFSSE isn't a Lithtech game. Having said that...

Using the SIV tool, I collected the ID and disabled the USB device for the of my C-media headphone (instead of HID device), but then I disabled the HID device too. The app started working.

Then I went back to enable both HID and USB devices. Turns out, the problem is not the HID but USB device instead. And I would need the USB device to listen to what sound the game is playing. So is there any idea what to do, the game works fine with any other sound device.

Another help, I clicked on the blue buttons on the left side of a hardware and now the device name has been changed. Is there a recovery method for the device name (doesn't matter much but still...)

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 14 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-01-18, 08:15:

So is there any idea what to do, the game works fine with any other sound device.

Another help, I clicked on the blue buttons on the left side of a hardware and now the device name has been changed. Is there a recovery method for the device name (doesn't matter much but still...)

As I said before I suspect the game will need to be fixed.

After setting the name an easy way to revert is to use Windows Device Manager to uninstall the HID then USB devices and then do Scan for hardware changes.

Last edited by red-ray on 2023-01-18, 09:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 16, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2023-01-18, 08:32:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-01-18, 08:15:

So is there any idea what to do, the game works fine with any other sound device.

After setting the name an easy way to revert is to use Windows Device Manager to remove the HID then USB devices and then do Scan for hardware changes.

I couldn't follow you.

file.php?mode=view&id=155296

I think this device was named "USB Audio Device". How do I recover that name?

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 16 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-01-18, 08:48:

I couldn't follow you.

Uninstall and Remove are much the same.

file.php?id=155297

Attachments