VOGONS

[removed]

Topic actions

First post, by 0xCats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[removed]

Last edited by 0xCats on 2023-01-17, 22:13. Edited 1 time in total.

There are two types of devices, those that know they've been hacked and those that don't yet know they're going to be hacked.

Reply 1 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Powerleap started it :p

Woohoo!!

Good job Catsay!! Clever doing a vertical design!

Ps: thanks for the tips and ideas! It’s been fun brainstorming tinkering and learning! Plenty more to come!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
0xCats wrote on 2022-04-05, 01:26:

Herewith I am making a Project announcement!

I have been working an a Socket-5-to-7 interposer with onboard high power VRM in private for a while now, originally got the idea last year December 2021.
However I work a full time job and time for this hobby is understandably limited. Hence I also do not like to do running 'build logs' on forums. They eat time.

That looks well designed, and I applaud you for waiting until you had a testable (even if not yet tested) product to announce. While I have to applaud Sphere for his enthusiasm, and despite my not being any kind of electrical or electronic engineer, I have pointed out a couple of potential problems with the designs he has shared. I'll be waiting for you to finalise your design, as your write-up (I read it and understand enough to know it will be well designed), then hope I will be able to build a couple of interposers and VRMs (or, better still, that someone who knows what they are doing sells them at little over cost).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-05, 01:47:
0xCats wrote on 2022-04-05, 01:26:

Herewith I am making a Project announcement!

I have been working an a Socket-5-to-7 interposer with onboard high power VRM in private for a while now, originally got the idea last year December 2021.
However I work a full time job and time for this hobby is understandably limited. Hence I also do not like to do running 'build logs' on forums. They eat time.

That looks well designed, and I applaud you for waiting until you had a testable (even if not yet tested) product to announce. While I have to applaud Sphere for his enthusiasm, and despite my not being any kind of electrical or electronic engineer, I have pointed out a couple of potential problems with the designs he has shared. I'll be waiting for you to finalise your design, as your write-up (I read it and understand enough to know it will be well designed), then hope I will be able to build a couple of interposers and VRMs (or, better still, that someone who knows what they are doing sells them at little over cost).

Currently my two designs are in beta and alpha respectively. (They clearly say this in the threads, as well have disclaimers saying to not build them until they are tested.) This thread is about catsay’s design. I’m quite disappointed it is being used as a platform to criticize my hard work when I’ve been nothing but supportive of you guys and your projects. I’ve poured many hours into tweaking and improving the tweakers. Hell, I started work on the voltage tweaker in large part because you guys kept complaining that the tweaker should be a interposer and I was dumb to not make it into one. I could have kept the design files to myself and not shared any of it. There is nothing wrong with developing a project from inception to completion in a public venue. It cultivates ideas and feedback. Just like there is nothing wrong with keeping it private till you feel it’s ready. That decision is up to the author. You guys are quite frankly being mean and making me regret sharing my work. Many of the concerns you guys have brought up I have fully agreed with and am improving while I learn, others quite frankly have been shortsights on your part. For instance you guys keep referring to the p5a and tillamook mods as wrong as if the threads proving they work don’t exist. Completely glossing over the fact that I have even improved upon those mods making them able to be disabled and able to use a resistor for safety, something the original version of those mods didn’t have. Also, I did quite a bit of real world testing discovering how the BF pins work (yes, I’ve already done it) but you guys are telling me that design won’t work, when it’s the exact same thing that the motherboards do. And exactly what I have already seen works on actual hardware.

We all have knowledge to share. And I don’t deserve this, there are plenty of gaps in my knowledge and there always will be, there are Many things I don’t know, but there are plenty of things I can teach you. You don’t know everything and I don’t know nothing. I fully welcome being shown better ways, being proven wrong and learning from others.

I waited patiently for months, a year? On promise that this was coming, which is fine, that’s catsay’s schedule and I didn’t blame him for it or expect him to do anything but what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it. So one day I decide to learn to do it myself and skip waiting longer for something that may never come and see if I can do it myself and all a sudden catsay fastlines it in like a day as if I’m trying to take something from him. No not one bit!, I’m not trying to take anything from you, in fact you’ve helped with several aspects of the design! You found the lower sockets, gave us the cache idea, you’re clever and I appreciate your contributions. I’m allowed to make my own version there is nothing wrong with that it’s even open source, I am not trying to take anyone’s credit, quite frankly I was just tired of waiting and decided to give it a go myself. Not to mention, people were literally asking me to do it.

At the end of this I’ll have learned a lot and we’ll all be better off for it because I’m sharing what I am learning. So, I am sick and tired of you guys putting me down for trying and if you take the time to think about that you’ll understand why.

Now can we please get back to the topic, this thread is about catsay’s design and I’m absolutely delighted to see it and follow it. I just want to get along and not have drama and just have fun here with this wonderful hobby. Good job catsay! Your interposer looks amazing and we can all see you’ve put a lot of work into it! 😀 I look forward to reading updates!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you considered putting a hole in the vrm card large enough for a heatsink clip to pass through? You could maybe put a hook on the interposer pcb to catch it on the other side allowing use of typical socket 7 heatsinks. The card will probably block a lot of the air from one side, but as we know, it doesn’t take a whole lot to cool these chips, stock coolers as big as the chips themselves do a pretty good job without much of a fan on them.

As you and I know, the black LIF socket has clip tabs that are too close together to mate with the clips we usually have in abundance. Though the far side may be of some use.

I like your idea of using the 12v cpu 4 pin square connector, that idea had crossed my mind also. I think it’s very cool idea to use that wire that’s hanging around unused in many cases. We can pretend we have pentium 4s :p

I was having trouble figuring out which VRM to begin planning to use though, so ultimately the answer to that would decide which connector would be possible. The floppy connector leaves both 5v and 12v options on the table.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 6 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry Sphere, it wasn't my intention to criticise or put you down, I was just expressing that I like oxCat's design as a lot of thought and experience has gone into it. It doesn't mean I don't see the work you are putting in or appreciate how open you are being about using it as a learning tool. I got the impression that your goals were different from oxCat's, and his design so far looks like one I can use. I might say the same about yours when you have put more work into an interposer, I just can't say that yet.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-05, 03:21:

gave us the cache idea

Just to clarify, what cache idea?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!