VOGONS

First post, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will soon upgrade the memory to 96 MB's and a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (if it's gonna work).
So, what games should I definitively try?
DOS/Windows games all welcome, but no emulators, I can emulate on a stronger machine.
The more games the better, and I would like to see some 3D games even tho I do not have a 3D accelerator.

###HP Vectra VL 5/133 Series 4, D4644B###
CPU: Pentium 1 133Mhz
RAM: 96 MB EDO RAM (4x8MB, 2x32MB)
GPU: ELSA Victory 3DX (S3 Virge/DX 4MB)
Sound: Avance Logic ALS100 Plus+ REV 2.0
HDD: Seagate 20 GB (need to boot OnTrack)

Reply 1 of 37, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To name a few must play:
2D: Command and Conquer Red Alert, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Age of Empires (1), Diablo (1), Blade Runner, Baldur´s Gate
3D: Turok, POD, Tomb Raider, Colin McRae Rally (1), Motoracer, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Blood, Croc, MDK, Need for the Speed II

I read you don´t own a 3D accelerator yet. Prices are high for period correct PCI 3D accelerator cards. Maybe you could get a Rage 3D Pro (or its a newer variant, the Rage XL) which is still affordable. It will let you play all of the above mentioned decently.
In the meantime, your system will handle all the DOS era classics just fine.

Reply 2 of 37, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Con 2 botones wrote on 2022-04-05, 12:32:

I read you don´t own a 3D accelerator yet. Prices are high for period correct PCI 3D accelerator cards. Maybe you could get a Rage 3D Pro (or its a newer variant, the Rage XL) which is still affordable. It will let you play all of the above mentioned decently.

I have a problem and that is my pc only has 2 PCI slots and I have an ethernet card and sound blaster live 5.1 in them already so I don't even have slot for a 3D card.
I should get an ISA soundcard but it's difficult to find a "good" one at a reasonable price.

Reply 4 of 37, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Over the mountains to the north (if I guessed your location right) you can buy the following for reasonable prices:
ESS cards, especially those with ES1868F, tend to sell for under 15 EUR. I think they offer great bang for the buck.
Crystal cards often sell for as little as 5EUR.
Opti, ALS, Analog Devices and CMI8330 stuff starts around 10EUR.
SB Vibras start around 20EUR, but for 20EUR you can choose almost everything.

Reply 5 of 37, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
To name a few must play: 2D: Command and Conquer Red Alert, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Age of Empires (1), Diablo (1), Blade Runne […]
Show full quote

To name a few must play:
2D: Command and Conquer Red Alert, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Age of Empires (1), Diablo (1), Blade Runner, Baldur´s Gate
3D: Turok, POD, Tomb Raider, Colin McRae Rally (1), Motoracer, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Blood, Croc, MDK, Need for the Speed II

AFAIK, Duke 3D has no hardware 3d acceleration and should run fine on a p1.

The whole Tie-Fighter and Dark Forces franchise comes to mind for that time.

koleq wrote on 2022-04-05, 13:08:

I have a problem and that is my pc only has 2 PCI slots and I have an ethernet card and sound blaster live 5.1 in them already so I don't even have slot for a 3D card.
I should get an ISA soundcard but it's difficult to find a "good" one at a reasonable price.

Depends on how many ISA slots there are, but an ISA ethernet will suffice for most things. 10 Mbps is still much better than none.
Plenty of affordable sound cards around 20 € with AL100, Crystal or ESS chips.

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 37, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-05, 16:49:

Depends on how many ISA slots there are, but an ISA ethernet will suffice for most things. 10 Mbps is still much better than none.
Plenty of affordable sound cards around 20 € with AL100, Crystal or ESS chips.

I am currently bidding on a Avance Logic ALS100 Plus REV 2.0 with the LS262 OPL3 clone chip.

here is the picture on the listing.
121515280.jpeg

Reply 8 of 37, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
  • Crusader: No Regret (complementing the above post which is the sequel to No Remorse)
  • StarCraft
  • Stargunner
  • Tyrian
  • WarCraft II

All of the mentioned games aren't 3D rendered but works very well on a Pentium 133.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 11 of 37, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Without 3d acceleration, there's Little Big Adventure 1 and 2, Skynet, Total Annihilation, Grand Prix 2.
Games with acceleration that can run without, there's the series of car games Screamer 1, 2 and Rally, Destruction Derby 2.
In 2d Theme Hospital, Fallout 1, Monkey Island 3.
Older Dos games have non accelerated 3d too, Commanche maximum overkill was pretty impressive at the time, Big Red Racing was fun, there's all the sharewares like Doom, Descent, Whacky Wheels, etc.

Reply 12 of 37, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sim city 2000

Specter challenger

Myst

koleq wrote on 2022-04-05, 13:08:

What mobo is it?

Got a pic?

Ultimate retro link?

I tried looking up the mobo in your signature

I couldn’t find the exact one but I assume it’s similar to one I found where it is a non standard form factor with a riser all the way at the back on one side.

Looks like it has onboard sound and video?

If so, you could probably put up with the onboard sound in favor of a pci gfx. I’d suggest a radeon 7500. I’ve had really good luck with them on my socket 7 builds.

Also I noticed that the board seems to have a spot for a vrm module upgrade. Depending on what voltages that vrm supports it may allow for upgrading to a k6-3+ 400-500mhz

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 13 of 37, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-26, 03:39:
What mobo is it? […]
Show full quote

What mobo is it?

Got a pic?

Ultimate retro link?

I tried looking up the mobo in your signature

I couldn’t find the exact one but I assume it’s similar to one I found where it is a non standard form factor with a riser all the way at the back on one side.

Looks like it has onboard sound and video?

If so, you could probably put up with the onboard sound in favor of a pci gfx. I’d suggest a radeon 7500. I’ve had really good luck with them on my socket 7 builds.

Also I noticed that the board seems to have a spot for a vrm module upgrade. Depending on what voltages that vrm supports it may allow for upgrading to a k6-3+ 400-500mhz

I actually kinda don't want to make this PC much faster than it is now, I kinda want to live with the limitations the PC gives me.
the PC has 3 ISA slots and 2 PCI slots in a daughter card.

in the PCI slots I have an ethernet card - to access my home NAS
and S3 Virge/DX 4MB 3D accelerator (yeah people don't like the card, but I think it's cool and interesting.)

and in one of the ISA slots, I have a soundcard.

The motherboards has an integreated S3 Trio64 video card, but no integreated sound.

I have tried a bunch of games, most of Windows games run very slowly, and DOS games run great.
Keep the suggestions comming.

Reply 15 of 37, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I share leileilol's opinion. If you sacrifice one of your 2 PCI slots, then you should use a better 3D accelerator that actually accelerates 3D (or at least displays correctly). I also have a soft spot for S3 graphics cards, but their 3D accelerators preceding Savage3D are not good.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 16 of 37, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the S3+ 3Dfx Voodoo accelerator card combo too. 😁

Later ViRGE variants and derivatives has improvements on the 2D core and better RAMDAC. The only variant of the Trio64 that shares some of these improvements is the Trio64V2 (not to be confused with the Trio64V+).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 17 of 37, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware aside, here are a few of my favorites I haven't seen anyone pitch in yet.

* Deadlock
* Caesar III
* Warlords III
* Mechwarrior 2
* Master of Orion 2
* Jagged Alliance
* Zork Nemesis & Zork Grand Inquisitor
* Civilization II
* Settlers II
* Might & Magic VI

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 18 of 37, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am interested in trying every single Virge game there is, this site has an awesome list of them:
https://ctrl-alt-rees.com/2020-12-06-s3-virge … -downloads.html

Reply 19 of 37, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Pentium 133 was around with Windows 95 not 98, you're going to be frustrated with 3d games. The cpu matters a lot for the graphics card to render fast. If you upgrade to a Pentium MMX or K6 around 266 Mhz most games will start getting playable with an S3 Virge (although not as fast as with a 3dfx).

Here are a few other games that should work with your computer.
3d games Banzai Bug, Links LS, Normality inc, Overboard!/Shipwreckers!, Pandemonium, Rally Championship, Sega Rally, Terra Nova Strike Force Centaury, X-wing vs Tie Fighter (I haven't played this one)
2d games 3d Ultra PInball the lost continent, Bad Mojo, Commandos 1 and 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Worms World Party
Kay's Power Goo, a tool to have fun with pictures