VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by osme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG help me!

i downloaded DOSBox so i could try and play CASTLE OF THE WINDS and followed all the prompts on the "basic setup and installation of DOSBox", and when i tried to play COTW thru it, it came up with "this program requires Mircosoft Windows"

i admit i'm a total novice at computers, but i'm desperate to play this game and i've tried so many things that never end up working!

i'm using XP, and am on a server, but am trying to play the games on the hard drive itself

please, help!

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install Windows 3.1 in DosBox and then play it.

I though COTW worked in Windows XP?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by osme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm sorry, but i'm an absolute idiot when it comes to computers. how do i install windows 3.1 into DOSBox? 😕 so embarassing!

yeah, cant get COTW to play. might be something to do with my computer which my idiot brother put together for me....

Reply 3 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello, osme. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

Please, don't write all in caps (not even for thread titles) just because it is as if you were shouting to us.

By the way... Version from HOTU works just fine under Windows XP.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 6, by NoeWhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found Castle of the winds does not need dos box. (Or at least my version).

This game to me, is like the original Diablo but in 2D 🤣!!! I also have the Caslt of the winds 2 or something.... Too hard thats 4 sure. Too many creatures!
Too many creatures!
Too many creatures!
(Dont get me wrong, I still beat it)

Reply 5 of 6, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/
http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/castl11a.zip
download, extract somewhere, run it it like normal.

the only bug i have encountered under winXP (apart from cheat-o-matic 0.99a not working anymore) is that menu's sometimes stay highlighted which is just a major nuisence because it forces you to make additional mouse clicks ;P you gotta click once on the item that is stuck highlighted then click on what you want.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website