VOGONS

First post, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently getting back into retro PCs, and I recall late 90s put together a "PC Technicians" CD that included a bunch of manuals I downloaded off the maker's FTP sites. I randomly checked a few and some I found the same files already available, some I see I have other versions of, and were better versions where what was online was a scan - but I didn't look too deep.

I've put them up on my gdrive for now, if someone wants to take them, may these are all out there, but I don't plan to keep these up long term
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UPZBt … GbM?usp=sharing

Manufacturers:

abit
aopen
asus
atrend
chaintech
epox
fic
houston tech (pc chips)
ocean
shuttle (spacewalker)
supermicro
tyan

* edit - maybe not 600+ boards, was going by file count and I see some boards have multiple files

Last edited by Jason21 on 2022-04-08, 00:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ooo neat. Guys at UR would love this

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, thank you very much.

Yes, everyone thought Asus manuals were safely on the german Asus FTP until they weren't, Abit pulled their old stuff without warning, PC Chips (Houston) have been quite hard to find, then Ocean aka Octek went tits up just before the millenium and their stuff is hard to dig out. Aopen is also Acer

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 21, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If possible, please upload a zip/rar archive of the full collection. Downloading the full set in a single file will be much easier than downloading and sorting potentially hundreds of files for those of us who have our own archives.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 12 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you click on the leftmost part of the folder google drive will zip the lot for you, so that's only as many clicks are there are manufacturers listed.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 21, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, thanks. I didn't see that

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14 of 21, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm glad it could be useful, it was kind of just filler at the time. The rest of the CD probably isn't too interesting, FAQs, cable pinouts, and some common diagnostic, compress, etc apps. I'm attaching a text file with a listing of all the files

Attachments

• Filename
    cdfiles.txt
    File size
    115.06 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 21, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jason21 wrote on 2022-04-08, 23:06:

I'm glad it could be useful, it was kind of just filler at the time. The rest of the CD probably isn't too interesting, FAQs, cable pinouts, and some common diagnostic, compress, etc apps. I'm attaching a text file with a listing of all the files

Can you zip up the "help" folder? It looks like there's connector info in there which is always good if done properly and possible some manufacturer website links that can be dragged through archive.org for missing bioses/manuals

Reply 19 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome, thanks much again. There was a few things I was curious about but didn't wanna twist your arm.

If you find any other old media, things I think people would appreciate are ASPI drivers, there's a number of interfaces and drives that aren't supported well by drivers that "survived" onto modern web, then there's mid 90s BIOS modding tools that have gone missing also, earlier versions of AMIBCP for DOS I think are most sought.