VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 43780 of 52361, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Parts for my soon to be downgraded WinXP PC starting to arrive, here's a boxed Sound Blaster X-Fi:

SB X-Fi.JPG
Filename
SB X-Fi.JPG
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
SB X-Fi 2.JPG
Filename
SB X-Fi 2.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Though somehow I completely missed the marked capacitor on the card before buying, don't know how that happened, I always check the caps and that's the largest cap on the card 😐 First I thought someone had swapped it but the solder joints look identical to the others and the cap seems original too. But why then mark it? Someone tested it with a multimeter without taking it off the card and deemed it in need of replacing, even though you can't get reliable readings that way? Or is it possible it was marked at the factory for some reason? The cap looks fine on the outside atleast.

Can't test the card yet, would require a bit of effort to do that with my other machines so I'll just wait till the other parts arrive and test it then along the others. It was sold as tested and working but we'll see is that cap a problem.

Reply 43781 of 52361, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't test capacitors in circuit with DC components on a circuit board. Whomever told you this is dead wrong.

I see components marked like this often. It's probably part of the binning process in factories. This is very common in electronics and indicates that a particular component has been verified by hand.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-04-08, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43782 of 52361, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-08, 11:21:

You can't test capacitors in circuit with DC components on a circuit board. Whomever told you this is dead wrong.

I see components marked like this often. It's probably party of the binning process in factories. This is very common in electronics and indicates that a particular component has been verified by hand.

Sombrero wrote on 2022-04-08, 10:57:

Someone tested it with a multimeter without taking it off the card and deemed it in need of replacing, even though you can't get reliable readings that way?

🙂

Good to know about that, thanks! Never seen a mark like that before other than on cards that have been clearly tampered with.

Reply 43783 of 52361, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next up are a couple of Compact Flash 64GB cards and a few motherboards recently purchased. For the AU31, I was actually looking for an Athlon 3200+ Barton. There's only 2 on eBay at $55.00 and the next up is probably $80.00 with currency conversion. The AU31 listing left off the XP in the title and the board, I/O shield and the 3200+ was $10.00 cheaper shipped with currency conversion than buying the processor alone. 3200+ seems to be hard to come by now. I never owned a Thunderbird Athlon; that explains the GA-71XE4 pickup, which includes 1100Mhz B chip. I'll have it compete against a Tualatin board. I have a 1200Mhz CPU on the way (B), but 1300 (B)and 1400MHz (B) versions are even harder to find than the XP 3200+. I don't want to put the time in to look anywhere else except eBay, of course. I bought the Asus board because I thought I was getting a 400MHz memory bus and DDR400 support. I now know I need a KT880 for that - oh well. It looks like this version of the AU31 is the board it will stay in since it has the missing requirements.

Attachments

Reply 43784 of 52361, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For capacitance no, but they can be tested with an ESR meter in circuit, can they not?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 43785 of 52361, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Realistically, the only test you can do on a cap in circuit is a short/open test. Even that can be wrong.

I was using a x-fi card until recently, that cap Is likely just fine.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 43787 of 52361, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-08, 18:52:

For capacitance no, but they can be tested with an ESR meter in circuit, can they not?

Depends on the circuit, most often it will be wrong or misleading.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 43788 of 52361, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ordered a Tandy CM-11 monitor off Ebay. I was admittedly nervous at the prospect of having a CRT monitor shipped.

It turned out to be one of the single best packaging jobs I've seen. It had been wrapped in bubble wrap, then encased in rigid foam insulation, then placed in a box, then that box placed in a larger box along with more bubble wrap. Kudos to the seller for such a marvelous packaging job!

And testing it out, it looks fantastic! 😁

Attachments

• CM-11 Monitor.jpg
    Filename
    CM-11 Monitor.jpg
    File size
    248.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • CM11_monitor_box1.jpg
    Filename
    CM11_monitor_box1.jpg
    File size
    112.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • CM11_monitor_box2.jpg
    Filename
    CM11_monitor_box2.jpg
    File size
    171.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • CM11_monitor_box3.jpg
    Filename
    CM11_monitor_box3.jpg
    File size
    164.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-04-08, 23:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 43789 of 52361, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow that seller did a fantastic job getting that crt packed up. Sadly I've seen some horror shows here were the sellers basically just dropped a monitor in a box.

Reply 43790 of 52361, by happycube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-07, 15:21:

A few items from a local trash trader... I don't even mention price I paid... but lets say it was comparable to a good business lunch.

Both machines in nice Enlight cases (the more recent case is missing the USB ports cover, but I will make one on a 3D printer). Dual socket Abit BP6 needs recap but it's supposed to work... we will see.

Great find!

The other motherboard needs recapping too, but the BP6 is the real perl in this pickup IMO. At least in that case intel tried to get good Japanese caps, but sadly they weren't.

Reply 43791 of 52361, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-04-08, 23:19:

Wow that seller did a fantastic job getting that crt packed up. Sadly I've seen some horror shows here were the sellers basically just dropped a monitor in a box.

Yeah, I was super impressed at the double boxing, plus the rigid foam. Seems a really good way to ship these!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 43792 of 52361, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-07, 21:12:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-04-07, 15:29:
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-07, 15:21:

Dual socket Abit BP6 needs recap but it's supposed to work... we will see.

One of the coolest boards ever! Congrats

I got into PCs with SMP around 2001 with Athlon MP configurations (I still have one of the MSI boards with a dual MPs from that time) but I never had any SMP motherboard with Slot 1 / S370 CPUs. And BP6 seems quite interesting not only because it looks cool, but also the crazy idea Abit had to design it exclusively for Celerons (I've read that PIIIs were never supported in MP config on this board).

And even more, the totally rogue move of designing a motherboard for dual Celerons, which according to Intel wasn't SMP capable and they definitely didn't want people to run them in dual. IIRC, Abit even wrote in the manual that it wasn't supported and should be considered a feature for test purposes only 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 43793 of 52361, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had a lost item arrive today .. one of the two missing coast modules arrived ... 6 months and a refund later ...not sure what to do about it but I guess it'll get added to the board that is missing one.

Also finally added a GeForce 3 Ti500 to my collection, dont worry about it not getting used, I have a retro PC in mind for it that will likely end up being a Xbox emulation rig as I managed to retrieve all the ISO files off the dead Xecuter Xbox I have. Im still researching the best way to set it up in a manner that replicates an Xbox as close as possible. Also looking into if the original Xbox controllers can be connected to a PC via USB, the rig really does need original controllers if its possible.

Reply 43794 of 52361, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's something that I really wanted, but didn't buy in the end:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313941800168?orig_cvip=true

Tell me this isn't the most beautiful tower case ever made! I didn't buy it because the seller sold it as defective, and he's sold lots of older PCs that look like they were sourced from a scrap yard. But if it's working, whoever bought it got a great deal - it's a Pentium 60 system which is worth quite a bit on its own.

Reply 43795 of 52361, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
asdf53 wrote on 2022-04-09, 16:59:

Tell me this isn't the most beautiful tower case ever made!

It's not 😁

I stumble upon them from time to time and sell them because I don't really like this design.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 43796 of 52361, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't buy it because the seller sold it as defective, and he's sold lots of older PCs that look like they were sourced from a scrap yard. But if it's working, whoever bought it got a great deal - it's a Pentium 60 system which is worth quite a bit on its own.

Even if defective, it could make for a good restoration project.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 43797 of 52361, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tell me this isn't the most beautiful tower case ever made! I didn't buy it because the seller sold it as defective, and he's sold lots of older PCs that look like they were sourced from a scrap yard. But if it's working, whoever bought it got a great deal - it's a Pentium 60 system which is worth quite a bit on its own.

Maybe "beautiful" isn't quite the right term, but it's certainly sleek and stylish and used to be high end.
The backplate is missing but if it had one back then, chances are it wasn't cheap.
Just a pity as the breakouts for the ports were used and without that plate, they stick out from the surface, which is pretty irritating. d-sub sockets should not be a bumper.

Judging by the photos, the sticker on the VGA, it was sold in that config.
The P60 and Socket 4 was rather elite in its time, well overlapping 486 times.

It's a good board:
http://www.amoretro.de/2012/03/si5pi-aio-rev- … otherboard.html

P60 goldcaps go for mid two figures these days but s4 boards are really rare. So if in working order, that's not even a bad price.

But, I did not notice the offer since I strictly refuse to filter for keywords like "retro" or "vintage". (as a matter of style and general principle)
And, I'd have passed it as well, it's quite a bit of money for am electric door block.

I never quite understood how people can move these things and not even have a generic power cable and old tft with VGA cable.
That would be perfectly sufficient for the most basic confirmation of working order. Anyone below that skill should not be allowed to use my internet.

So, maybe we're lucky or nothing would be cheap any more or maybe for some sellers, it's on purpose for plausible deniability - if it does indeed not work, they don't want to know.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43798 of 52361, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:07:

I stumble upon them from time to time and sell them because I don't really like this design.

Really? What would be a better looking one in your opinion? I've been scouring ebay for about two months now and have looked at 300-400 machines, and 95% of them are either ugly by design or in very bad shape. So far, this is the only one that I really like. I love the boxy, minimalist design of it, looks very classy.

Reply 43799 of 52361, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
asdf53 wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:17:
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:07:

Really? What would be a better looking one in your opinion? I've been scouring ebay for about two months now and have looked at 300-400 machines, and 95% of them are either ugly by design or in very bad shape. So far, this is the only one that I really like. I love the boxy, minimalist design of it, looks very classy.

Since that old Trödler in Hamburg was unable to even turn the bloody photo on its feet, this is what we're discussing:

ATmiditowerp60nn.jpg
Filename
ATmiditowerp60nn.jpg
File size
52.42 KiB
Views
File license

IMHO:
It's pretty neat.
In good preservation, low yellowing. Fairly symmetrical. Clean surface, no unnecessary bells, whistles, ornaments in ugly off colors. That could be much worse.
The protruding sections up top and for the buttons and the nameplate seem a bit random, or the step between the two layers.
But somehow, that was very common back then.

One could do much, much worse - especially for a case with a working MHz display - that feature alone is about 50 bucks nowadays...

For the timeframe and apart from the MHz LEDs, I'd still prefer the Artist I received this week. If it were less yellowed, which sadly, it is:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-04-09, 17:50. Edited 2 times in total.

I like jumpers.