VOGONS

Reply 21400 of 27362, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-09, 03:07:
I did it! I finally did it! Achievement unlocked: Successfully brick a mainboard […]
Show full quote

I did it! I finally did it!
Achievement unlocked:
Successfully brick a mainboard

Homepage was no longer online, so I had to rely on a 3rd party site. Seems like I got trolled.
But it's not the end of the world. Hirsch has a programmer and will unbrick it, next time he's around.
At least all my other boards have the latest BIOS now. Except a 440BX which I got recently. Have to undig my (only) Pentium II first.

Found one more damaged board. Floppy controller doesn't seem to work. Drive gets detected, but can't read or write anything.
Getting close to the end of the pile.

Which board did you brick?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21402 of 27362, by tomusi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gex85 wrote on 2020-10-26, 12:57:
Over the last few days I did some BIOS modding for my Diamond Micronics C400 motherboard, which is identical to the BCM QS440BX. […]
Show full quote

Over the last few days I did some BIOS modding for my Diamond Micronics C400 motherboard, which is identical to the BCM QS440BX. While Diamond stopped shipping BIOS updates at version 1.06, BCM continued to improve the BIOS for their board - but only for the later revisions with a 2 MBit flash chip. Seems they didn't want to bother with the space constraints on the 1 MBit chip anymore.

Since Diamond used the 1 MBit variant, I could not use the much newer and improved BCM BIOS version 2.10 on my board. So I salvaged a 2 MBit chip from another (dead) Slot 1 board and did a hot-flash, which to my surprise worked on the first attempt.

While I was at it, I modded the BIOS:
- Used the patched BCM QS440BX image from wimsbios with 128 GB HDD support as a base
- Inserted the full-screen logo (Diamond/Micronics) that I had extracted from the original C400 BIOS image
- Created and inserted a Diamond logo to replace the EPA logo
- Added various microcode updates so I can for example run my Tualeron 1400/100 in a modified Slotket
- Modified the BIOS string to show the Diamond C400 name instead of BCM

I know this is old but do you happen to have that modified BIOS at hand? I have the same board and would like to update the bios with the hotflash method and a 2mb chip, and I don't feel confident enough to modify a BIOS myself

Sorry if I'm necroposting quoting this btw but I'm not allowed to send DMs yet and I think it's the only way to reach you
Thanks!

Reply 21404 of 27362, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had one of those nightmare/comedic repair days, inside a far-far-too-cramped, awkward arcade machine of my own making.

One of those days where you begin work (slash, gaming), but realise something is not working right. So I fix it, and re-assemble the machine. I then realise *idiot* I've forgotten to re-plug something trivial inside the machine. So I open it up again, plug the thing in, put it back together again. Sigh! Sigh the First, as it happens.

Then I begin work (slash, gaming) again, and immediately notice that now audio's gone. What?! Awesomely, while doing the previous fix, in this nightmare cramped machine, bent over double with my arm shoved up this cavern of arcade doom, I've accidentally pulled a connector out from deeeep in the innards. 5 parts need to come out to even *get* to the socket for replugging. This is *at least* twice as annoying as the initial fix was. Sigh the Second. His reign was not short, and also, not sweet.

But fiinally it's done. And so I game.

Hey. One button's not working. One BUTTON'S NOT #%&$*^% WORKING. Doesn't take long to realise that Fix 2, which was caused by Fix 1, has itself caused 8% of Fix 1 (that is, one pin) to come unstuck, and oooohh yes, it's time for a visit to Fun Old Aunty Take-Apart again, for the 5th time this day. Grrrrr!

This time, I thoroughly test every aspect before putting the screws back in. While glaring harshly at the machine, just daring something to not work. This repair is going to get veeerry interesting, Will Smith style, if this farce goes on any longer. But at last, I'm here, looking at the attract screen finally. All the controls are good. Picture's good. Audio works.

Just in time to go and do the house work and meal preparation! 😁

Reply 21405 of 27362, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-10, 08:02:

Had one of those nightmare/comedic repair days, inside a far-far-too-cramped, awkward arcade machine of my own making.

Heh, I had my share of those days too.

Always reminds me of this clip with Hal trying to replace a lightbulb.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 21406 of 27362, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-04-10, 08:16:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-10, 08:02:

Heh, I had my share of those days too.

Always reminds me of this clip with Hal trying to replace a lightbulb.

Hahaha!, nice one. Yes it was exactly that. With the addition of the Benny Hill theme music.

All part of the hobby. There is a certain satisfaction in being able to solve all the problems. But no doubt, sometimes some mighty fine bouts of high frustration too! 😁

Reply 21407 of 27362, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...never thought I'd be busy with computers outside of work given the weather......I did replace the shocks in my 93' Explorer last weekend, this week+weekend though....so Auto season has started....

Latest events?

- Bought a DFI MediaBook (NanTan 9200M) for $55 on evil-bay, bought a $15.00 charager for it as well. Currently plotting to put an Active Matrix panel in there once I figure out the pinout from the graphics chipset to STN/DTSN adapter board. Put the FreeDOS drive from my M/75 in it - though toying with reloading with DOS 7 and Windows 3.1. - as then I can run Ultima 7 and some other games on it that don't run on freeDOS properly.

- Spent Wednesday morning tuning/tweaking, fixing up the Versa P/75. now the battery latch works again and it feels a little more solid. I need to figure out a good way to fix the screw anchors on the bottom though -and my M/75 is getting close to needing the same treatment.

- Brought the M/75 in last night and did tuning/tweaking to Windows 95, tried installing Exult (failed), tinkered some more with WSS (I seem to be getting better at that), downloaded a few WSS compatible games (William Shatner's TekWars, Flying Tigers I & 2, Get Losts, Giana Sisters, Abuse, and FitUp!), and did some dabbling with OHRRPGCE on it (been building a sci-fi RPG of sorts on there - which I'll probably never finish TBH - like every other game I started developing).

- Tonight I inspired a mass firesale of my big-box DOS games on e-bay with people offering to me left and right just before leaving for work. Never thought a bunch of old Sierra games would inspire such madness. Now I'm wondering why I did not do this sooner! I'm also planning to put 2 systems on the block (GEM 286 and my NEC Ready 9522).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 21408 of 27362, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After Asking a Coworker for a Laserdisc player, which he was more than glad to let me have thanks to his five spares, I decided to expand my collection of old Media. Of course, none of it was Laserdisc today because I didn't find something that just stood out to me. That said, I did pick up Ben-Hur on Betamax (because that exact phrase is fun to say) and The Menagerie on CED. I'll never have a reason to play my CEDs, and am explicitly never going to pay for a Betamax player, but they're interesting to have as part of a dead medium collection.

IMG_0337.jpg
Filename
IMG_0337.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0334.jpg
Filename
IMG_0334.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 21409 of 27362, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's unfortunate that laserdiscs are to be counted as a medium that can suffer from physical rot. I think it's a result of the discs being manufactured as two separate plates and it's the glue in between that's decomposing.

Reply 21410 of 27362, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-11, 06:06:

It's unfortunate that laserdiscs are to be counted as a medium that can suffer from physical rot. I think it's a result of the discs being manufactured as two separate plates and it's the glue in between that's decomposing.

Luckily, a lot seem to still be holding up well.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 21411 of 27362, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I honestly can't understand how disc rot happens, I should research into that somehow.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21412 of 27362, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-04-11, 07:01:

I honestly can't understand how disc rot happens, I should research into that somehow.

Not sure about laserdiscs, but prolonged exposure to sunlight and heat can most certainly cause CDs and DVDs to become unreadable.

I've personally had several game discs go bad due to this.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 21413 of 27362, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-04-11, 07:10:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-04-11, 07:01:

Not sure about laserdiscs, but prolonged exposure to sunlight and heat can most certainly cause CDs and DVDs to become unreadable.

I've personally had several game discs go bad due to this.

Sometimes its the glue they use to bind the layers of the disc together, all it takes if for a tiny part of it to decay and itll spread to the rest of the disc spindle, I have had this happen recently, destroyed a lot of discs. The other is the binding simply gets to old and when the drive spins the disc up it tears parts of the recording section off the disc surface.

Reply 21414 of 27362, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fixed some bent pins on a motherboard I bought "as-is" for a discount. I knew that the damaged area had very few components and saved myself some money. The pins bent back easily and the board is fine with no visible damage to traces or components.

20220411_042738.jpg
Filename
20220411_042738.jpg
File size
606.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 21415 of 27362, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The quest is finally coming closer to an end.

Boards left to check:
3x LGA775
2x Socket A
1x Socket 7
1x Slot 1

Planing to get done with LGA775 today and continue with Socket A tomorrow.
So far 3 boards that aren't working at all and 5 with partial malfuctions.

Reply 21417 of 27362, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-11, 11:26:

The quest is finally coming closer to an end.

This is why you always check for life before shelving. I would say that around 30% or more of vintage stuff I buy online is damaged or defective.

I have a pile of things on my workbench to fix as a result.

Reply 21418 of 27362, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In trying to distract myself from lots of things I'm supposed to do, I got the integrated DVD-ROM decoder card working on my Pentium 233 MMX equipped Toshiba Tecra 750DVD laptop.

It actually works! It was so difficult to find the drivers!! They were apparently scrubbed from the Internet because of licensing issues with the DVD player software and I don't think I'll ever find the recover CDs for this thing. Driverguide of all places had the driver and software: https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=104622
Then followed this guide to get it operational with the proper video chip driver for the S3 Virge/MX: https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewCont … ontentId=107612
It's janky and apparently can't even zoom the DVD video to full screen, but it's state of the art for mid-1997. This thing apparently cost $5,799 when new 😀

Also tried watching the same DVD on the Satellite 2800-500 to give it some use and see how the sound is, it couldn't read the DVD, but I cleaned the laser's lens with an ESD-safe cotton swap soaked with IPA and to my surprise that worked, it could actually read DVD again. I don't think that's ever worked for me before.
Then got annoyed that there was a bit of dirt inside the LCD (a little black dot) on there, so took apart the LCD and cleaned it out from between the LCD panel and the backlight. Now the LCD looks as good as a 15" toshiba from 2001 can.

Reply 21419 of 27362, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I think I'm done actively looking for CEDs. I managed to find ESB locally, and that's probably my peak.

IMG_0344.jpg
Filename
IMG_0344.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also went over to my Co-Worker's place earlier to see if the discs I own actually work, and was pleased to learn that they actually do. Of course, they sped ESB up hilariously in order to fit it on to a single disk.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png