VOGONS

paste in socket

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-12, 22:26:
At this point you may as well desolder the socket and put a fresh one on there... […]
Show full quote

At this point you may as well desolder the socket and put a fresh one on there...

Screen-Shot-2016-03-08-at-9.15.01-AM.png

oh dear... torture by soldering iron

Reply 22 of 35, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tap a small 3-7mm vacuum hose into a strong shop vac, and feed it a solvent of choice around the hose while touching it all... Much much better than pressure.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 23 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-04-12, 22:08:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-12, 19:24:

Alcohol might not work. Gasoline, diesel fuel, better acetone - evaporates without residues.

Would not use Acetone on plastics tho =).

That depends on the plastic - just as with any other solvent. Pretty sure water and alcohol are safe. But I remember a toothbrush completely dissolving in diesel or benzene in our workshop.

I like jumpers.

Reply 24 of 35, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-13, 01:11:
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-04-12, 22:08:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-12, 19:24:

Alcohol might not work. Gasoline, diesel fuel, better acetone - evaporates without residues.

Would not use Acetone on plastics tho =).

That depends on the plastic - just as with any other solvent. Pretty sure water and alcohol are safe. But I remember a toothbrush completely dissolving in diesel or benzene in our workshop.

My sympathies to your gums and teeth .

Joking aside, I wonder if a few hours of soaking in 99% IPA would be a thing try (not just minutes).

Reply 25 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
At this point you may as well desolder the socket and put a fresh one on there... […]
Show full quote

At this point you may as well desolder the socket and put a fresh one on there...

Something is fundamentally wrong in that picture.

That ring, that shirt...

Well, you do you.

I like jumpers.

Reply 26 of 35, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-13, 01:18:
Something is fundamentally wrong in that picture. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

That ring, that shirt...

Well, you do you.

I might have a vague inkling, I would need to flesh out that idea, though, to iron out the kinks in the concept, so to speak. Maybe then I could get a better handle on the subject matter, but for now I am just caught in the heat of the moment .

EDIT: I hope I haven't burned any bridges...

Reply 27 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-04-13, 02:04:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-13, 01:18:
Something is fundamentally wrong in that picture. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

That ring, that shirt...

Well, you do you.

I might have a vague inkling, I would need to flesh out that idea, though, to iron out the kinks in the concept, so to speak. Maybe then I could get a better handle on the subject matter, but for now I am just caught in the heat of the moment .

EDIT: I hope I haven't burned any bridges...

Not to fall into scorching sarcasm here, but that really is a hot topic and requires a well-tempered approach so not to end up in a heated discussion that leaves behind everyone with a singed psyche.

I like jumpers.

Reply 28 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote:

Gasoline, diesel fuel, better acetone - evaporates without residues.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory."

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 29 of 35, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-04-13, 05:14:
Cuttoon wrote:

Gasoline, diesel fuel, better acetone - evaporates without residues.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory."

I like the way you think !

Napalm is indeed the only solution to this problem.

Reply 30 of 35, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you put gasoline, make sure to keep fire close by. Wouldn't want the board to actually work /s

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 31 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brian105 wrote on 2022-04-13, 08:47:

If you put gasoline, make sure to keep fire close by. Wouldn't want the board to actually work /s

Coming back to the Kärcher idea, I will have to try that one fine day.
At least it should be a plausible threat to any board that gives me too much trouble.

I like jumpers.

Reply 32 of 35, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CwF wrote on 2022-04-13, 00:36:

Tap a small 3-7mm vacuum hose into a strong shop vac, and feed it a solvent of choice around the hose while touching it all... Much much better than pressure.

No offense, but this is outright dangerous to do with flammable solvents if you don't have equipment especially made for it. Electrostatic charge will build up due to the flow through the vac, and as if that wasn't enough, the gases might reach the fan motor with a possibly arcing commutator. It's basically a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Reply 34 of 35, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

damn the emotional rollecoaster was strong in this thread, between horror and good laugh!

That stock picture is absolutely fantastic :') you have to wonder if it's the work of a trolling black belt, I mean there's so many wrong things in a single picture it almost looks like a kid's game of spot the errors

Reply 35 of 35, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2022-04-13, 10:00:
CwF wrote on 2022-04-13, 00:36:

No offense, but... if you don't have equipment... as if that wasn't enough It's basically a catastrophe waiting to happen.

If if if. Bring it over, I'll show you how to do it. I'd just about guaranty success.
Clue; the solvent of choice may or may not be flammable, and never makes it to the shop vac. Maybe the in between collection jar is not obvious to the amateur. Anyway, easy to rig up, and it is a pro method, even dentist use it.

I used to know what I was doing...