VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the game yesterday, tried it first on my win 0 machine (I9 9900k 3.6 ghz, 32 gb ram, gtx nvidia 2080 11 gb) and it got up to the m,ain menu with no issues, after that everything is super slow, no matter the settings no matter the compatibility used (w98,win 7, wxp sp 3)

tried on PCEM/86box, game runs fine, but is super, super slow, no matter the pc spec i build my machien with (p2 200, 64 mb ram, w98 se)

tried on a win 7 vmware virtual machine, game runs fine , quite fast but everything is a white blurry mess, cursor is a white square, many polygons are all white.

any help?

Reply 1 of 10, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got that game as part of the emissary gift pack but I gave up trying to get it to run outside of virtual machine so I just watched the cutscenes. Most windows games during that period just are terrible with compatibility on modern systems. If I were you I'd keep a win xp virtual machine in virtual box handy

I am I

Reply 4 of 10, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dgvoodoo2 is optional. But a ddraw wrapper is required and you need to hexedit the game exe.

Please check here:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine Dominion Wars and dgvoodoo2
DS9 Dominion Wars wrapper fix

There is a problem that the game has many variant versions (US 1.01, EU 1.03, DE 1.03, US 1 .04) and there are many patches that will break things instead of fixing.
I only recommend 1.04 because it's available for US, EU, DE.

Reply 5 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Game is from 2001. The game should be using D3D7 or D3D8. In both cases you will need something such as DxWnd or dgVoodoo2. As another member suggested here, for DDraw (if it is DX7) to work, you will need to hex edit it if you use dgVoodoo2 or any proxy wrapper.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-15, 05:09:

Game is from 2001. The game should be using D3D7 or D3D8. In both cases you will need something such as DxWnd or dgVoodoo2. As another member suggested here, for DDraw (if it is DX7) to work, you will need to hex edit it if you use dgVoodoo2 or any proxy wrapper.

thanks i tried using HXC to edit the exe and to find ddraw but cannot find it all. maybe is a string and not a "code"?

tried dxwnd but seems so big and complicated as an app, i just chose dx 8 and left everything as default and the game doesn't even starts

Last edited by Zaxxon on 2022-04-15, 13:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yochenhsieh wrote on 2022-04-15, 03:37:
Dgvoodoo2 is optional. But a ddraw wrapper is required and you need to hexedit the game exe. […]
Show full quote

Dgvoodoo2 is optional. But a ddraw wrapper is required and you need to hexedit the game exe.

Please check here:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine Dominion Wars and dgvoodoo2
DS9 Dominion Wars wrapper fix

There is a problem that the game has many variant versions (US 1.01, EU 1.03, DE 1.03, US 1 .04) and there are many patches that will break things instead of fixing.
I only recommend 1.04 because it's available for US, EU, DE.

thanks got that file already but cannot find the value ddraw using HXC as hex editor

Reply 8 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
twiz11 wrote on 2022-04-15, 02:18:

I got that game as part of the emissary gift pack but I gave up trying to get it to run outside of virtual machine so I just watched the cutscenes. Most windows games during that period just are terrible with compatibility on modern systems. If I were you I'd keep a win xp virtual machine in virtual box handy

i thought windows 7 was a good vm for those games but maybe i was wrong at this point

Reply 10 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yochenhsieh wrote on 2022-04-15, 14:21:
These are the address in my ds9dw.exe (US, 1.04 no-cd) BFAFE EC874 But if you can't find, perhaps your game version is not same […]
Show full quote

These are the address in my ds9dw.exe (US, 1.04 no-cd)
BFAFE
EC874
But if you can't find, perhaps your game version is not same as mine.

ok found the reason why:

for some reasons the exe was ALREADY set with ddra2.dll, without me modifiying it. just the fact that i put the ddra2 file, also put that string into the exe for some reasons.

so what i did was :

download the dgvoodoo files needed as listed in the links you guys posted above

deleted ddraw and ddra2

modified the exe and put ddraw string to the two place instead of ddra2

ran the game, it crashed.

i then modified the hex of the ddraw with drra2 FIRST, and the put the ddra2 .dll file LATER

and voila, it works! no crash no slowdown

game is not that bad to be honest, and with no real, good st games on the horizon, that will suffice.

thanks again for your support guys