VOGONS

Fastest motherboard that accepts a Voodoo 5500?

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 78, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:
But wouldn't the usefulness of the ISA bus(soundcards) diminsh with certain chipsets ? […]
Show full quote

But wouldn't the usefulness of the ISA bus(soundcards) diminsh with certain chipsets ?

Not sure which one is the newest chipset usable, but something like in the links below ?:
http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=2827

http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=8702
(sampled sound) (ICH5)

That was really interesting, thanks.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 62 of 78, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Good graphic. I ran into 'B' myself upgrading to an Abit SR7 in 2001 thinking my V5 fit AGP 2.0...

Me too after upgrading from Asus A7V133-c to Nforce2 Ultra 😢 I had to use the good old s3 virge dx for a couple of days before buying a new card 😒

Reply 63 of 78, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha! For me the 'new' video card I got to 'solve' the problem was an ATI 9700pro. Turned out to be a fabulous card that gave me years of good service, but I always missed Glide. In a way that was the beginning of my retro interest since I really always wanted to keep the Voodoo going...

Reply 64 of 78, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone considered designing a adapter that allowed the use of 3.3v era cards in 1.5v slots without modding the card or the board? From that adapter that was linked I am beginning to think that it might be possible but without the mosfets and the rest on hand as well a pcb cnc machine I can't go very far. I still don't know what voltages the data signal is being sent at. Is it all done on one voltage or is it split? Second I haven't looked well enough to see if the 1.5v era slots employ a pre amp for data if the voltages are split. What I mean by split is that lets say one voltage for power and a lower voltage for just pure data signals. If it is split and both specs are close enough on the data signal as suggested by some mods it might be possible to figure something out. That would at least deal with the slot issue when seeking slightly more modern boards. As rich as some collectors are they could design at least a agp3.3v to pcie riser adapter. Convert the 12v power to raw 3.3 with a mosfet and a resistor or two then smoothed out with a cap.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 65 of 78, by linuxfanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Extreme thread necro but just letting you guys know that the ECS P4VMM2 supports AGP 3.3v cards as well as 1.5v ones. If you have the right revision you can use chips with a 533Mhz FSB.

Reply 66 of 78, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
linuxfanatic wrote:

Extreme thread necro but just letting you guys know that the ECS P4VMM2 supports AGP 3.3v cards as well as 1.5v ones. If you have the right revision you can use chips with a 533Mhz FSB.

Necro cool... 😀

Reply 67 of 78, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
nforce4max wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

No way it was a Pentium 4, since these were all using AGP4x.
Your best bet would be something like a Via KT266. So, the fastest processor you could use would be an Athlon XP 2600+ AFAIK.
Unless you got yourself a PCI one of course, which you can even use on latest machines!

Not according to an online search listed a few sis equipped socket 478 (northwood era) boards that support 3.3v agp. In another search confirmed one of those boards (an asus) is safe to use with a v5 6000.

Abit sa7. It's an sis chipset with an universal agp port. Latter revisions support hyper threading too.

I had one for years with a v5500.

Reply 68 of 78, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra. Sis 645 chipset, Universal agp pro slot, 3gb of DDR266 or 2gb of DDR333 duak channel, and onboard Raid. Terrible caps. Max cpu is the 3.06/512/533 P4. HT wont work however, even with a powerleap adapter.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 69 of 78, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So is the SIS 645 chipset the only Pentium 4 Chipset that legitimately supports 3.3v AGP? So far all the boards I've seen that are confirmed to work are the same SIS chipset, but I see a lot of VIA chipset boards on ebay with unkeyed AGP slots.

Reply 71 of 78, by yachacha01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To add to this:

During the pandemic I wasted time building a few 3dfx systems I had been collecting.

First of all I love the Shuttle XPC form factor and so I greatly limited my options going this way, it had to be XPC.
without the top case on it is a perfect showcase for the voodoo5 5500 because the agp slot sits on the outside. It was just such a cool concept at the time that they shrunk the big box while retaining a lot of it's capability.

All systems used voodoo5 5500 AGP. I tried a few cooling methods. Biggest improvement is always open case and cold day.

My first build was SK41G - What I believed to be the best Shuttle XPC capable of universal AGP voltage. Barton 2800+ 266mhz is a little tricky to find but they are out there and it is a great system for the 5500. These systems are hard to find because 3dfx collectors know they are great performers, so are the 266mhz Bartons.

next...

I discovered the SS51G and more specifically SS51GV2 (Allows Hyper Threading CPU) - these systems ran the Pentium 4 and still had Universal AGP. Now when you read articles from the past about Pentium 4 vs Athlon vs Pentium 3 you must remember, a 2.2ghz Pentium 4 vs. the last 3ghz is night and day. I will tell you the 2.8ghz and 3.0ghz Pentium 4 are screamers and will outperform the Barton and any Pentium 3 by a good margin paired with the voodoo 5.

I built a few of these systems based on SS51G. The FSB memory was able to overclock quite a bit and this change is what gave me record numbers from the voodoo5 5500 AGP. It was a bit of luck and I went through a lot of memory sticks to find those that liked overclocking.The Shuttle offered enough if not limited overclocking of the FSB which made the voodoo 5's fly. Overclocking CPU made little difference. Overclocking 5500 makes a bit of difference but FSB OC you can see directly makes the card run faster.

I know this is hard to accept: The fastest voodoo 5 AGP system is the Universal AGP Pentium 4 Mobo's paired with the 2.8ghz or 3.0ghz Pentium 4. No Barton will be able to achieve the raw speed of the 3ghz Pentium 4.

Pentium 4 from Athlon XP was the biggest performance gain I could find with voodoo5.
FSB overclocking makes big gains.
Voodoo5 overclocking is a small gain but quickly becomes unstable.
CPU overclock made a small gain but 3ghz Pentium 4 is overkill to begin with Voodoo5.
Air cooling the card front and back will give you the best results.

Maybe someone can shoot me down, I couldn't find anyone turning out higher 3dmark numbers except the 200mhz super cooled cards. Running stock 166mhz on the voodoo card, you will get excellent performance from a Pentium 4. I like that most 3dfx collectors poo poo the Pentium 4 because it keeps it cheaper for those of us who know.

No real order to the pictures, you can see some of the 3dmark scores, I will try to find the highest.

Slowly through the pandemic I got better at painting...

IMG_0816.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0816.jpeg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

Reply 72 of 78, by yachacha01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

more

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    File size
    2 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0933.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0930.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0922.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0922.jpeg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0918.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    File size
    1.62 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 73 of 78, by yachacha01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

more

Attachments

• IMG_1192.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1192.JPG
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1182.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1182.jpeg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1083.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0943.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 74 of 78, by yachacha01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

more

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    File size
    1.16 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2911.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3112.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_3112.jpeg
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3113.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3666.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_3666.jpeg
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 75 of 78, by yachacha01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

more

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1689.JPG
    File size
    2 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1825.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1825.jpeg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2132.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2132.JPG
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2510.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2510.jpeg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 77 of 78, by yachacha01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did crack 4000 at some point I need to find that photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2130.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2130.jpg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2523 (1).jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2523 (1).jpeg
    File size
    236.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2524 (1).jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2524 (1).jpeg
    File size
    260.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1691 (1).jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1691 (1).jpeg
    File size
    434.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 78 of 78, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I need to test a v5-5500 in a couple different P4 setups I have that can take the fastest 478 CPUs.

I'm almost certain that at least one of them definitely supports all AGP cards as I have tested some very early AGP cards in it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK