VOGONS

First post, by serjG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I recently built a Windows 98 machine, but I've encountered an issue with my SB Live. SB16 DOS emulation doesn't work at all.
I tried installing different DOS drivers, as well as messing with autoexec.bat and config.sys. No matter what, I can't get sound working in DOS games.

My specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ @ 1.9GHz
512MB DDR1 @ 333MHz
ASRock K7S41GX motherboard
ATi Radeon 9550
80GB WD hard drive
Sound Blaster Live! (CT4830)
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 5, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you enable the LPT port in the BIOS you should be able to enable LPT sharing in the sb emulation dialog in device manager. For my AudioPCI, I have the LPT port on 378 and normal mode.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 3 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In Windows make sure that the VXD drivers are installed or the SB16 emulation won't appear in device manager. A normal installation will use the WDM drivers by default which are crap. Phil's review on SB Live! could help you there.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 5, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar issue with this card.
I found that SBEGO.exe would play the wav and fm sample fine but couldn't get it to work in most games. Eg tyrian, alien carnage.
I tried various driver versions but never had much luck.
From what I gather the sb16 emulation 8snt perfect and if you really want full DOS compatibility you should put an ISA card in alongside your Live.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 5, by serjG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again! I appreciate your responses, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get SB16 DOS emulation working on my Athlon XP machine.

However, I recently got a Socket 478 system with a Pentium 4 Prescott @ 3 GHz and an ASRock P4i65G motherboard.
This time, SB16 DOS emulation worked no issues with the same Sound Blaster Live (CT4830) sound card. All I did was install the VXD drivers.

My guess is the SiS 741GX chipset my Socket A board uses doesn't cope very well with sound cards trying to emulate DOS sounds.