VOGONS

PC crashing in BIOS help?

Topic actions

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've recently been tring to get an old abit bf6 to work but for some reason it crashes specifically only in the bios when i look at cpu temp.
Ive flashed it , repasted the cpu , reflowed the mobo , swapped the ram , cleared the cmos but it hasn't helped

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 30, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

check to see if windows/linux/whatever os you want to run on it works ok, run some benchmarks and ignore the bios health page.

other option would be to find out which sensors the board uses and verify they're still on the board/functioning/connected.
or flash a newer/older bios on it.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 30, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a vague memory that this plagued some folks back in the day, but don't recall cause or solution. Maybe searching some longlived forums like Anandtech or overclockers might find some clues.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-18, 15:59:

Got a vague memory that this plagued some folks back in the day, but don't recall cause or solution. Maybe searching some longlived forums like Anandtech or overclockers might find some clues.

Definitely worth some creative googleing, yes.

And, my suspicion, if it has any logical reason at all:
Something to be displayed in the hardware monitor causes an alarm or gets a sensor value that does not compute because the software doesn't expect it.

Typical suspects: CPU fan not detected - fan without a speed signal or one with too few RPM because it's to large/modern to register, running below maybe 2000 RPM.
Maybe some very low CPU or ambient temperature does not compute.

If Windows is running, maybe install some diagnostic software provided by Abit or generic like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard_Monitor
Check the vales there for plausibility.

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 30, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

okay i figured out the problem , the psu was bad , it showed -60v on the -5v rail and gave some super odd readings , i swapped it with a crappy old codegen psu and now the bios health works fine.
It sucks cause it was a nice old compaq dps psu with good brand caps.
Hopefully i havent fried anything.

Reply 5 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-04-18, 16:13:

okay i figured out the problem , the psu was bad , it showed -60v on the -5v rail and gave some super odd readings , i swapped it with a crappy old codegen psu and now the bios health works fine.
It sucks cause it was a nice old compaq dps psu with good brand caps.
Hopefully i havent fried anything.

-60 V or 60 V is a matter of definition and -60 V would have meant that along with +12 V you would have had 72 V on you motherboard.
If that was for real, it would be toast now.
Therefore, that must have been bogus, but barely beside the tolerance. Which would support my hypothesis that the bios could not handle the value...
A, no offense, but let's be real about it, "crappy old computer" should be perfectly fine with a crappy old psu as long as that supplies power. Of course, it's alway nice to have original gear, I get your point.

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most likely the -5V value was bogus. Some boards display nonsense if a voltage isn't present. I assume your new PSU was missing -5V causing BIOS to glitch/crash when trying to read the value.
The PSU may be completely fine.

Reply 7 of 30, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-04-18, 16:38:

Most likely the -5V value was bogus. Some boards display nonsense if a voltage isn't present. I assume your new PSU was missing -5V causing BIOS to glitch/crash when trying to read the value.

I just checked and you are right the psu has no -5v.
The fact that a motherboard could lockup because of value not being available seems like a massive oversight on the ABIT's part.
Is there any workaround for this problem other than not using the bios health check?

Reply 8 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-04-18, 16:38:

Beyond tolerance, or absent, yes.
I assumed it was an AT PSU, romantic that I am. 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 9 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hehe, seeing that that is an ATX board, it's rather normal to have an ATX supply attached to it 😉

Those are not supposed to have -5 at all, there's no pin for it.

Bios bug, I'd say, legacy oversight.

Do you need the health monitor? There are at least windows tools that do the same.
And probably DOS ones I don't know about.

I like jumpers.

Reply 10 of 30, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-18, 16:48:
hehe, seeing that that is an ATX board, it's rather normal to have an ATX supply attached to it ;) […]
Show full quote

hehe, seeing that that is an ATX board, it's rather normal to have an ATX supply attached to it 😉

Do you need the health monitor? There are at least windows tools that do the same.

Some of my other atx psus do have a -5v rail.
I don't realllllly need health monitor but it triggers my ocd that it wont work.
I've also noticed that sometimes the bios wont open if i press the del key too early , and im generally just worried about instability.
But i guess if it doesn't cause any serious issues i can ignore it.

Reply 11 of 30, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're wrong. The first specifications did have -5v.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 12 of 30, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hehe, seeing that that is an ATX board, it's rather normal to have an ATX supply attached to it ;) […]
Show full quote

Original/early ATX boards and PSUs did have -5V. Haven't checked the specs, but it must have been official in at least the first revision. I have a few ATX power supplies with -5, it's always a white wire, so easy to spot.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 13 of 30, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-04-18, 15:41:

it crashes specifically only in the bios when i look at cpu temp.

I saw an identical effect on my Gigabyte 7IXE. I eventually tracked this down to the ATX PSU I was using not providing -5V as when I used an old ATX PSU with -5V all was OK.

In the end I used a pair of resistors to provide -5 from -12 and all is now OK, see Re: upgrading a PC with GA-7IXE motherboard and need help choosing CPU and other components

Reply 14 of 30, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:03:
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-04-18, 15:41:

it crashes specifically only in the bios when i look at cpu temp.

I saw an identical effect on my Gigabyte 7IXE. I eventually tracked this down to the ATX PSU I was using not providing -5V as when I used an old ATX PSU with -5V all was OK.

In the end I used a pair of resistors to provide -5 from -12 and all is now OK, see Re: upgrading a PC with GA-7IXE motherboard and need help choosing CPU and other components

Would something like the isa slot voltage blaster fix the problem as well?
I'm not going to really have a use for the isa slot on this board so maybe i could use that if the slot isn't shared?

fix.PNG
Filename
fix.PNG
File size
975.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 15 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:01:
Show full quote

Original/early ATX boards and PSUs did have -5V. Haven't checked the specs, but it must have been official in at least the first revision. I have a few ATX power supplies with -5, it's always a white wire, so easy to spot.

OK, OK, now that three people have told me, I should believe it. Don't know very much about such modern systems! 😉

Should be an relatively easy fix via some voltage regulator at the -12 V?

I like jumpers.

Reply 16 of 30, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mean i could mod it as long as someone would tell me how to do it.
red-ray mentioned using resistors but his thread didn't seem to have any info on how he did it.

Reply 17 of 30, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:27:

IDK, it's not an item I have used and know about. Given I had some resistors it took me 5 minutes to make the issue go away.

Attachments

Reply 18 of 30, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:45:
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:27:

IDK, it's not an item I have used and know about. Given I had some resistors it took me 5 minutes to make the issue go away.

what are the blue tubes next to the resistors?

Reply 19 of 30, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:59:

what are the blue tubes next to the resistors?

Heat shrink to provide electrical insulation. The SIO chip now sees -5

file.php?id=135354

Attachments

• RAA.png
    Filename
    RAA.png
    File size
    25.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain