VOGONS

Reply 21481 of 27168, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very heavy and structurally sound case.
Main problem with sleeper builds is ventilation. Basically, you have to "destroy" the case to achieve that. Not a fan of that.

Reply 21482 of 27168, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neither a fan of that and there is the possibility of losing functionality especially with non-ATX cases.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 21483 of 27168, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-18, 16:01:
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-18, 02:38:

I finally got around to trying out each 3D accelerated version of Tomb Raider. The 3dfx, PowerVR, and Verite versions are the best.

It runs even better on PowerVR when the chip is overclocked. I've tried at up to 80 Mhz.

I'd like to do that, but I can't risk this card. I paid a lot of money to get one new in the box, and I doubt I'll stumble upon one for $20 these days (but I know others can, will, and do).

Reply 21484 of 27168, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, as of tonight, I'll be adding yet another laptop to my collecction - I bought a FMA3500C on E-bay - it's the color model of their hilariously outdated-looking 486 model, but in COLOR of all things. I used to have the STN Mono model years ago, this one has the trackball on the right above the keyboard and the newer style barrel jack power connector. I guess that stupid;y overpriced shipping was worth it, it got here in 2 business days!

Also might be obtaining a color screen for the DFI soon. After NanTan, I'll be nabbing some NCR/AT&T/Samsung stuff (plus the Rebadged Versa variants or two).

I've been on a bit of a NanTan kick lately.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 21485 of 27168, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:08:

I really appreciate the designs of these early ATX cases. Maybe moreso then AT cases.

Sleeper build, anyone?

Same thing 🙂

I actually used to not be a fan of the cases that had to make use of floppy drives with removed faceplates, because it would usually mean that any floppy drive in there would not have its faceplate and be kinda useless for to put into a different PC case.

But now I appreciate these cases more.

stef80 wrote on 2022-04-18, 17:18:

Very heavy and structurally sound case.
Main problem with sleeper builds is ventilation. Basically, you have to "destroy" the case to achieve that. Not a fan of that.

🤣, nice pun 😜

And I agree fully. I have in some cases ended up making a new hole or improving an existing one using a hacksaw + filing the edges to not be sharp anymore + adding a fanguard (which I sometimes would have scavenged off of a dead or crummy PSU). What I do like is that they are solid and sturdy steel cases and I also like their aesthetics. The modern cases seem to be made of material thinner than canned foods cans with the pressed in motives in the sides and such being mostly there to improve sturdyness. The old cases didn't have that, these were sturdy because they were sturdy 😁
I often ended up using period correct cases for my builds mostly because of the limitation of its ventilation, but to me this is a part that I actually like.

Also the early ATX cases were the starting point of cases that didn't have a plethora of sharp edges inside the case anymore 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21486 of 27168, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Repaired a crackling issue on my Audigy 2 ZS today.

During initial startup in Windows, it was putting out distorted sound with random crackles. These would subside after a minute or so, but still annoying. After reading on the forum about replacing the caps near the power, I opted to replace those four caps.

Unfortunately during the initial replacement, I failed to notice I'd created a short on cap C195. Whoops! This resulted in the Audigy 2 ZS not even being detected by Windows.

After diagnosing the short and replacing that cap (again), it works. No more crackling noises during Windows startup. 😀

Attachments

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-04-18, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21487 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sweet. I should recap my sound cards someday.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21488 of 27168, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Helpful info, mid-year sound cards are on the capacitor plague spectrum. I should probably replace a *lot* of caps.

Been working on my file servers, which are this side of retro, though I just through of using a retro-ish slim case for the smaller one. The larger one will be between 20-24 drives, if I can mount them all in a Corsair tower. Only about 10-12 will be 3.5 drives, the rest 2.5s, so that's easier to mount. Printing mounting rails for a couple of drives as I have only 4 of the 6 built-in slots in the case. Sucker's gonna be heavy when done. The smaller one will be a VM/Docker container server for retro and vintage emulators. Hoping to have an RDP-enabled set of emulators for as many systems as I can available over the network (to bring us back to retro activity). Acorns and Apples to Tandy and Zenith, I hope.

Trying to psych myself up into "get rid of as much as possible" mode. I won't get down to 2-3 systems like some people do, but I am overloaded. I really wish they still had regular computer shows here, I could get a table and at least make a little more than the table fee. I really need to ramp up eBay but I hate their newer listing software. Way more work than it needs to be for a lot of $10 items. They really have shifted all their efforts to big sellers, trying to become Amazon.

Most of the stuff is cataloged now, I was kind of paralyzed trying to decide what would stay before that. Organization will set you free! Thanks to everyone who has been discussing builds for years here, helping me choose what will go in which system.

I mentioned older mobos in newer systems, I put a PCChips Athlon 1400 into a Dell Optiplex 3010 - I finally got the pinouts for the front panel connectors, though all the documentation is for re-using the mobo and not the case, you could puzzle it out. Unfortunately now I need to try to find a PCI USB card with standard Intel front USB ports for when I rewire the connector in the case. I like the early 201x Dell cases, should respond well to a little paint, new logos and stickers, and maybe color-coded LED fans behind the front grill. I was thinking white and grey fronts instead of black and grey stock, though we'll see if the first one I paint is a disaster. 😀 Only good for baby AT/microATX, of course, being "mini towers".

Optiplex Athlon.jpg
Filename
Optiplex Athlon.jpg
File size
218.89 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I worked on a design for a modular 5.25 drive bay adapter for floppies or card readers or whatever (though if I can find one cheap enough I'd go with that rather than spend a day printing something), and I already have an idea to convert the CPU fan to an 80-120mm fan (120 would have a large offset because of the PSU). The cables on this PSU were assembled by a blind man, though, lots of places where things going one place go around other things going other places, makes it tighter than it needs to be around the CPU.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 21489 of 27168, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reality is this Foxconn socket 462 had a lockup problem from the beginning, if left to idle. Now that I think on it. It could be the cpu, xp 2600+. I have others. Maybe I'll have better results with a different/slower cpu. Memory was new (Corsair) afaik. No other sticks I tried would work in fact.

Reply 21490 of 27168, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

fma3500c.jpg

The NanTan 3500C came in earlier than expected. So yesterday I got to film all of the initial expeditions into this old hardware. This one was a oddly hidden e-bay auction that came with a Hayes modem power supply (which did not work), and an AT to PS/2 keyboard adapter (could use more of those in my life).

With my generic $15 power supply - on 20VDC, this laptop is in almost 100% working order. It boots up, the original HDD works, it has Stacker on it (!!), windows 3.1, Tank Wars came pre-installed plus a bunch of other software. Even the NiCAD battery charges and runs for about 30 minutes off a charge (!!).

Things Done
- Cleaned Trackball (the explanation of it's feel is not appropriate forum content...let me leave it at that...."bedroom stuff", 🤣)
- Visual inspection of inside
- Found proper BIOS settings (having internal PS/2 port off made the system hang and lose keyboard input, a bit confusing as this is the laptop I often chastise for having a TOGGLE SWITCH for internal/External PS/2 port usage)
- Found ALL of those special 3500 notebook drivers including the ones for Windows that allows for special functions on the keyboard to work and all the various screen adjustments from the DOS prompt/Windows 3.1

ToDo List
- Remove that Varta Battery - which has spilled it's guts but somehow still holds enough of a charge, I'm thinking CR2302 about the only impact is the hilariously bad internal speaker, which may just be how this thing is. It's on a very bare spot of the board thankfully.
- Put in a bigger HDD (8GB?)
- Figure out some way to clean up/even out the DTSN LCD
- Get one of those LoTech Parallel Port Adlib cards for it

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 21491 of 27168, by Mu0n

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

made a video of a hardware recording of Space Quest III running on my Mac Plus, connected to my MT-32. The most infuriating slowness of gameplay paired with flawless, speed accurate music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBj2wKesDRM

1Bit Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YYXWX1SxBhh1YB-feIPPw
DOS Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUn0Dp6PM8DBTF-5g0nvcw

Reply 21492 of 27168, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had to completely disassemble my Sharp MZ-700 computer, including the keyboard and it's many many screws, all just to fix 1 non-functional key on the keyboard! A dab of IPA on the key's contacts and it was back to life and promptly reassembled. It looked like a previous owner had performed repairs on that particular key and probably contaminated the contacts in the process.

I then spent the rest of the day going through the collection of games I have in .wav format and seeing which games required BASIC to be loaded first and which could be run straight from the machine code Monitor at boot. There's not a lot of software for the obscure MZ-700, so it only took about an hour tops. Loading the games via an old iPhone, I knew it would be useful 1 day. 🤣

Some interesting games for such an incapable computer and also some noble efforts but ultimately bizarre, such as the MZ-700 version of Space Harrier!

Reply 21493 of 27168, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought an Intel 387 SX Math Copro for my Zenith Data Systems 620N ( it's a 386 XS )

387SX :

2022-04-19 11.31.15.jpg
Filename
2022-04-19 11.31.15.jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

ZDS 620N :

2022-04-02 19.44.55.jpg
Filename
2022-04-02 19.44.55.jpg
File size
710.18 KiB
Views
File license

Before :

2022-04-19 16.42.31.jpg
Filename
2022-04-19 16.42.31.jpg
File size
102.04 KiB
Views
File license

After, the Match Processor is detected

2022-04-19 16.53.47.jpg
Filename
2022-04-19 16.53.47.jpg
File size
106.58 KiB
Views
File license

Started Windows in Extended mode and Virtual Memory ( hence the 7MB Ram displayed here )

2022-04-19 17.05.57.jpg
Filename
2022-04-19 17.05.57.jpg
File size
160.76 KiB
Views
File license

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 21494 of 27168, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cleanend the SB16 CT2770 that I bought some days ago. It was in pretty bad condition and cleaning with IPA didn't help. As some users here suggested I let it sit in warm water with dishwasher powder for some time and brushed it carefully with a toothbrush. Now it's all shiny again 😀
Strangely the stickers on the backside are still there but the text on the 46.6Mhz oscillator was washed away.
Some of the traces look concerning but I didn't test it, yet.

Before
SB16_Value_CT2770.jpg

After

Attachments

Reply 21496 of 27168, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did same with motherboard thas was probably used in a garage computer (very oily). I used liquid detergent. Dried it, and after that washed again with IPA, to get rid of any water/detergent under the chips. And sprayed liberally with contact cleaner 😀.

Reply 21497 of 27168, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know. I'm gonna be honest with you all: The more i spend time with the Sound Blaster Pro 2, the more I'm happy i didn't pay anywhere near what people on Ebay want.

This card is actually underwhelming. I think some of the Aztech clones iv had previously sounded better! Everything with the pro is just....muffled and uncomfortable. Just a tad bit sad sounding compared to how clear the FM and digital effects quality was on the Aztech. Could be bad caps too ofc.

Last edited by FioGermi on 2022-04-19, 20:43. Edited 1 time in total.