VOGONS

First post, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As per the title.

I need a HSF for my AMD 5x86 - 133 but the Socket 3 on my Shuttle Hot 433 doesn't have the two centred tabs (as shown below)

Socket_3.jpg
Filename
Socket_3.jpg
File size
240.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

...so I can't use a Socket 7 HSF with the central clip 🙁

My Socket 3 also doesn't have the four recesses to accommodate a clip-on style HSF (as shown below) so I can't use a clip-on HSF because the clips cause the CPU to sit so proud of the ZIF socket that the pins don't make proper contact 🙁

1200px-Socket_3.jpeg
Filename
1200px-Socket_3.jpeg
File size
210.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Since my Socket 3 only has the offset tabs (see below) I assume I need a HSF that attaches with the Z-shaped wire ?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    39.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 18, by heckyeah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup, either that or a heatsink with plastic clips that attact directly to the sides of the CPU.

You can find a Z-clipped heatsink on Ebay still if you search for "Cooling Heat Sink CPU Pentium P75". They might collide with mobo parts sometimes but I've used them on socket 3 boards as well.

Reply 2 of 18, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are these little heatsinks that just clip onto the sides of a 486 CPU. You should be able to find those on Ebay. Or, I'll let you in on my super secret:

Be lazy! Buy a roll of thermal tape on Amazon and stick whatever Socket 7/small heatsink you already have lying around onto the CPU. I do this all the time and its worked out just fine.

Reply 3 of 18, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions but I already have a clip-on style HSF. The plastic clips cause the CPU to not sit flush on the ZIF socket (because my Socket 3 doesn't have the four recesses to accommodate the protruding clips), so much so that the CPU pins don't look like they're going into the socket far enough 🙁

Reply 4 of 18, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-20, 16:26:

Thanks for the suggestions but I already have a clip-on style HSF. The plastic clips cause the CPU to not sit flush on the ZIF socket (because my Socket 3 doesn't have the four recesses to accommodate the protruding clips), so much so that the CPU pins don't look like they're going into the socket far enough 🙁

*pulls out roll of thermal tape*

You know what to do

Reply 7 of 18, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're worried about damaging the writing on the top of the CPU I would suggest 3M thermal tape, it provides a secure bond but in case you need to remove it you won't have any issues as it is very elastic and does not leave any marks.

Another option would be to get one of those 486 coolers which used a plastic frame to hold the heatsink in place, but those are not as common as the clip-on variant.

Worst case scenario you could jury-rig a Z-clip using a paperclip or something like that.

Reply 8 of 18, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From this thread Can anyone recommend a cooling solution from Amazon for an AMD 5x86?
it looks like the clips on my clip-on HSF are way thicker than they need to be. The one shown in the thread has much shallower clips.

Reply 9 of 18, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-04-20, 16:43:

Worst case scenario you could jury-rig a Z-clip using a paperclip or something like that.

Thanks - I bought the cheapy heatsink with the Z-shaped wire to use temporarily and to see if I can use the wire clip on the P75 HSF (central clip) that I have.

Reply 11 of 18, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've used 3M carpet tape before on a DX2 5v CPU, with regular size sink and fan. It conducts enough heat to keep the CPU cool enough to remain comfortably warm. Can't imagine the 3,45v 586 runs much warmer...

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 12 of 18, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have 3D printer and a bit of patience for 3D modeling you could make plastic clip that uses these offset tabs.

I did similar thing with Pentium cooler, retainer clip on cooler broke in half so I modeled and 3D printer plastic one. Surprisingly it works fine 😁. Made a "hole" in the middle for M3 nut and screw so when I install it I can turn the screw in to create pressure on middle of the cooler. Maybe better to sketch it quickly in paint instead of describing 🤣

image_2022-04-21_085608.png
Filename
image_2022-04-21_085608.png
File size
2.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Works pretty good. It could be easily scaled to Socket 3, only potential problem would be if cooler had slot for retainer clip or not.

If it doesn't it would probably bet better to go with some of the designs douglar posted.

Reply 13 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-20, 16:01:
As per the title. […]
Show full quote

As per the title.

I need a HSF for my AMD 5x86 - 133 but the Socket 3 on my Shuttle Hot 433 doesn't have the two centred tabs (as shown below)
Socket_3.jpg

...so I can't use a Socket 7 HSF with the central clip 🙁

My Socket 3 also doesn't have the four recesses to accommodate a clip-on style HSF (as shown below) so I can't use a clip-on HSF because the clips cause the CPU to sit so proud of the ZIF socket that the pins don't make proper contact 🙁

1200px-Socket_3.jpeg

Since my Socket 3 only has the offset tabs (see below) I assume I need a HSF that attaches with the Z-shaped wire ?

Yes, you will then need to get a heatsink which can accommodate the z-shaped wire.
Be aware that more modern heatsinks often have a thicker base, which makes using the z-shaped wire harder or impractical unless you can manage with some bending. Also your AMD 5x86 probably probably won't need such a beefy heatsink anyway.

I can relate to not wanting to use glue or tape. For me it's mostly about it being less secure (if it falls off for some reason (age or because it's crummy quality or whatever), I will never notice until it's too late).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 18, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-20, 16:33:

Found one Cooling Heat Sink CPU Pentium P75 on eBay with the Z-shaped wire but it was only the heatsink.

Good grief, are you being serious?

You might just have to bite the bullet there and get a 50 x 50 fan as well and screw it on top of that heatsink, how about that? You do own a philips screwdriver?

Or, yes, use the Z-clip on some other cooler - so you do have screwdriver?

In any case, feel free to use your imagination as long as that's still legal in your country. 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 15 of 18, by Gary.H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-21, 12:57:

Found one Cooling Heat Sink CPU Pentium P75 on eBay with the Z-shaped wire but it was only the heatsink.

You might just have to bite the bullet there and get a 50 x 50 fan as well and screw it on top of that heatsink, how about that?

No attachment points on that cooler to accept a fan (regardless of screwdriver ownership) so the point stands.

Reply 16 of 18, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gary.H wrote on 2022-04-21, 16:32:

No attachment points on that cooler to accept a fan (regardless of screwdriver ownership) so the point stands.

Of course you can use screws to attach a fan to that cooler. The screws will push their way in between the fins of the cooler, forming a secure grip. Something like 5x15 mm self tapping screws should do the job just fine. If your screws are thinner than the spacing between the fins, just simply squeeze the fins closer together until the screws grip against them.

Reply 17 of 18, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might just have to bite the bullet there and get a 50 x 50 fan as well and screw it on top of that heatsink, how about that?

No attachment points on that cooler to accept a fan

Ah, I see. Many did not back then. Just use the usual coarse threaded screws around 25 x 4 mm. They will bite into the side of the fins, aluminium being rather soft, making their own threads.

I like jumpers.

Reply 18 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was actually quite common back in the day to simply place the fan on top of the heatsink, put a screw (that's long enough) in each hole and just screw it onto the fins 🙂

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!