VOGONS

Popular games that you don't much care for and why?

Topic actions

First post, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry if this has a thread already but I didn't see anything with a quick search.

My example: Quake 3.
My reason: Everything (literally) was worse than not only Unreal Tournament, but also worse that the preceding game.

In other words if I wanted a single player experience I had Quake 2 and it was pretty great. No real single player in Quake 3. Also could play Unreal if I was looking for that, it was better as well.
If I wanted multiplayer then damn was Unreal Tournament the better choice by far in my opinion.

I am sure there are plenty who feel the opposite. I just remember trying the game when new and being extremely let down.

Reply 1 of 146, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-04-20, 19:09:

My reason: Everything (literally) was worse than not only Unreal Tournament, but also worse that the preceding game.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with regards to Quake 3, and have recently posted my thoughts on it here.

With regards to other popular games, I could never get into Counter Strike. Not sure why exactly, it just never clicked with me. Maybe I was too fed up with FPS games at that point, having played hours upon hours of Duke3D, Quake 2 and UT99 together with my buddies in the years prior.

Come to think of it, I kinda got over my FPS phase around that time, moving more into action/exploratory RPGs like the Gothic series and the Elder Scrolls games.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 146, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-04-20, 19:29:
I'm pretty much in the same boat with regards to Quake 3, and have recently posted my thoughts on it here. […]
Show full quote
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-04-20, 19:09:

I'm pretty much in the same boat with regards to Quake 3, and have recently posted my thoughts on it here.

With regards to other popular games, I could never get into Counter Strike. Not sure why exactly, it just never clicked with me. Maybe I was too fed up with FPS games at that point, having played hours upon hours of Duke3D, Quake 2 and UT99 together with my buddies in the years prior.

Come to think of it, I kinda got over my FPS phase around that time, moving more into action/exploratory RPGs like the Gothic series and the Elder Scrolls games.

I can agree with a lot of that feeling with losing touch with the FPS community although I did play a few more after that. I enjoyed HL2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
I never could get into the COD craze, but I did play through a few of the Call of Jaurez games.
The magic of the 90's FPS games was just lightning in a bottle I guess.

Reply 4 of 146, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I liked the Quake 3 freezetag mod. Very addictive. Aside from that I agree the previous game was better.

I never liked Counterstrike and preferred Day of Defeat--until the devs decided to turn it into a CS clone set in WW2 , at which point I lost interest.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 146, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never cared for Counter Strike.
Was a very active Quake world player back in the day and CS just felt to slow for me.

Tho I administered a popular CS 1.6 server for many years.
Ran on a Pentium 3 500MHz and could do 20 players in total before the latency got noticeable worse.
Clans could schedule times on it for a guaranteed lag-free time for practices or matches.
At a time when broadband wasn't really a thing (Slow 512Mbit ADSL was the max) around here, we got lucky and could place the server in house at a local ISP (!).
I suppose it helped that they also used it, and that I provided bandwidth logs =)
And I only played on it as admin helping clans or players with the various in-game commands to control the game servers.

Reply 6 of 146, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2022-04-20, 19:33:

Almost all button-mashing action-adventures. Assassins Creed, Witcher, etc, etc.

Also don't care for Battle Royales, Minecrafts, etc.

Witcher II and III were good games. I couldn't get past the clunky as hell controls of the first game so it took forever for me to play the sequels.
I played the first Assassin's Creed game and that was it.
For me the best third person RPG games were the Fable series and I did like Dark Souls as well.

Reply 7 of 146, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Duke Nukem (any) : more personality* than gameplay. *(of the "annoying, toxic machismo" variety)

Almost all FPS games, after the initial 1990's run of founding creativity.

At what point did the gaming universe's massive, open, free imagination to creatively do everything and anything at all, get crushed down to endless variations on "man carries a variety of guns, and presses the trigger on them" ???

--

Highly subjective opinions, naturally! Almost anything could twisted to represent versions of the same complaints.

Reply 8 of 146, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The enter Call of Duty franchise.

The single player campaigns felt too much like rail-shooters overly reliant on pre-scripted action. Never got into the multiplayer side of things.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 9 of 146, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Battlefield 1942.
That game should not have been released while any of the greatest generation were still alive. That is simply a disgrace. One can dumb down things on a history based game, to create a fluent gameplay and arcade fun. But not too much. DoD got that right.

Quake 3, btw...
I rarely played Q3 on LANs but I liked it. Was too late to the online gaming scene to try it instead of king counter strike, but as a deathmatch on LANs, it felt great.
There's a thing about shooters (or others) that's hard to describe. A feeling of a game that you're somehow in control of the situation, making the best of the limited interface and your noob skills.
Q3 had that. Just the ultimate sci fi based, quick, chaotic hyper active deathmatch shooter.
Played more HL deathmatch, which, obviously, had one of the best interfaces and arsenals ever, but seemed to have a steeper learning curve and my litlle brother kept frustrating me.
No opportunity to compare UT back then.
Of course, none of those came even close to the sheer, hysterical joy of ledges.wad on DOOM with three friends and a BNC IPX network 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 10 of 146, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-20, 23:23:

The enter Call of Duty franchise.

The single player campaigns felt too much like rail-shooters

That's what instantly threw me off, too. Don't walk the intended way fast enough? The screen just goes red quickly.

I don't know how people like this stuff, it's really annoying how you just run through the levels like a madman to avoid dying.

For me, I never cared about:
Skyrim: Everyone and their dog seems to like this. But the story is very bland and uninteresting and the balancing is total garbage. I built this super-strenghty warrior character and after a while they throw a mandatory sneaking mission at you I was unable to finish. God that made me angry, I'm never touching this garbage again.

The Sims: Watching pixel people live their lives bores me to death.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 11 of 146, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's only about a billion of them, but to mention a few:

Halo: Combat Evolved:
I liked the music and the sci-fi plot, but I thought the levels were very repetitive and boring and wasn't terribly fond of the goofy comic book enemies either. The whole thing made me wonder what the heck made the game that big of a success, my working theory is that it simply found a new large audience amongst console players who hadn't been playing FPS games much or at all before and I bet the split screen multiplayer on Xbox helped too, everything is more fun with a buddy.

Metal Gear Solid 2:
Well, this is the game that made me realize I don't really like games from Japan/Asia anymore. They just have this over the top way of making their games and writing their characters/plots I just don't like. I'm sure there are games from Japan that were made after the change of millennium I'd like but just haven't noticed or tried them, but I don't expect there being many of them. Clash of cultures I guess. Plenty of games from Japan that were made during 8/16/32bit era I really like though.

Starcraft:
Being a fan of classic RTS games I should like this one too, but I don't? Honestly the only reasons I can think for that is how boringly grey the maps are and how few music tracks the game has, like three per side? That's apparently all it takes to make the game boring to me 😀

Build engine FPS games like Duke3D etc:
Lots of hit scan enemies that can do a lot of damage fast, there's a lot to like in these games but playing them just always starts to get more stressfull than fun to me sooner or later. Also those suicide bomber flying droid things in Duke 3D are the most annoying enemy I've seen in any FPS game ever.

Reply 12 of 146, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2022-04-21, 06:57:

Metal Gear Solid 2:
Well, this is the game that made me realize I don't really like games from Japan/Asia anymore. They just have this over the top way of making their games and writing their characters/plots I just don't like.

I think that's mostly Kojima though. The writing in his games is a bit too much for my tastes as well.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the story in some post-2000 JRPGs like the Persona series.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 13 of 146, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-04-21, 07:07:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-04-21, 06:57:

Metal Gear Solid 2:
Well, this is the game that made me realize I don't really like games from Japan/Asia anymore. They just have this over the top way of making their games and writing their characters/plots I just don't like.

I think that's mostly Kojima though. The writing in his games is a bit too much for my tastes as well.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the story in some post-2000 JRPGs like the Persona series.

Kojima is pretty much the epitome of what I don't like about Japanese style of game making (make me choose between playing Death Stranding and shoving my hand into a blender and I would actually hesitate for a short moment before choosing the game), but it goes deeper than that. There's not a single JRPG out there that doesn't look off-putting, Resident Evil 4 seems awful to me, both in writing and gameplay, even the anime style player character with weirdly thin long legs in Bloodborne bother me.

I seem to be some kind of video game racist.

Reply 14 of 146, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The biggest one is likely Witcher 3 for me. People say it's one of the best games ever but I felt me completing the game was just a waste of time. Boring combat, the open world not offering anything of interest. Some of the quests were mildly interesting but that's about it.

Reply 15 of 146, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume "don't much care for" means what it says and not outright hate.

Every Zelda games ever.
I think the only reason they held in such high regards is because they are Nintendo exclusives. Console exclusives are often overhyped, but among them Nintendo exclusives are overhyped the most.

Tomb Raider after the 2013 reboot.
Excluding the 2013 reboot because it's shit and I hate it with passion. That's the reason I don't care about anything after.

Doom Eternal
I enjoyed the 2016 reboot, but the sequel just couldn't pull me in. I started playing it last November and I still couldn't bring myself to finish it. I see and understand why people find it to be good, but it seems I don't enjoy those gameplay mechanics. It's not the game's fault that it's just not for me.

Skyrim
It's sad to see how entry-by-entry the series got "streamlined" to "increase accessibility" and "achive greater market penetration". It's got to the point where Skyrim is just plain boring. I don't have faith in the next entry either.

Fallout starting form 4
Same reasons as Skyrim, but even worse.

There are others, maybe I come back later.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 16 of 146, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ <suppresses urge to defend/explain his beloved Nintendo games> I played mostly PC + Arcade games for 3 decades, before I finally came full-circle (back to basics) and gained a love for Nintendo's creations.

"Oh god, just thought of another one".

The entire Grand Theft Auto thing. It was briefly fun, around year 2000, to experience it's novel yo-I'm-a-USA-urban-gangsta style. But, as is also the case with openly military types of gun-totin' FPS, I sometimes find it hard to get extended enjoyment from a simulation of something whose real-life version is the basis of a lot of harm in the world. I guess the less fantastical the context, the harder it can be to ignore unpleasant parallels or connotations with real life. Like, I don't want to gleefully run around an increasingly-realistic looking urban environment wantonly killing realistic-looking city folk, it's not a fun context for me.

Bugs, aliens, dragons, monsters, though - that's somehow different!

Very selective, isn't it? e.g. I could play a good racing game for hours without worrying about the real life environmental concerns of real cars! 😀

Reply 17 of 146, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Every Battlefield game made after BF2142

EDIT: I forgot to add the why. Because it doesn't have bot support nor mod support.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2022-04-21, 10:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 146, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Assassins Creed after Syndicate. They brought in too many RPG elements, and I felt it lost the original meaning of Assassins Creed

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 19 of 146, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-21, 07:33:
I assume "don't much care for" means what it says and not outright hate. […]
Show full quote

I assume "don't much care for" means what it says and not outright hate.

Skyrim
It's sad to see how entry-by-entry the series got "streamlined" to "increase accessibility" and "achive greater market penetration". It's got to the point where Skyrim is just plain boring. I don't have faith in the next entry either.

Fallout starting form 4
Same reasons as Skyrim, but even worse.

There are others, maybe I come back later.

Fully agree with you on that especially regarding Fallout, what happened when Bethesda gutted the Karma system and make an evil run impossible, dumbed down the gameplay and made the awful story that FO4 has was an absolute shame.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC