VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently networked my P2 233 Voodoo Banshee rig to curiously test some games. I only had a couple of those 'free fps games' i've had (OpenArena, Nexuiz), the former only worked well. (of course just because its my game it must work great !)

Anyone else have similar experience to share in playing very new games on uh, old systems?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 17, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found voodoo cards in a k6/2 or k6/3 box too slow for q3, but a gf2 much better. Haven't networked them.

That class of box is fine for multi-player q1, q2, avp, warcraft 2, starcraft, heretic, hexen, heretic2, hexen 2.

Reply 2 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as the new game is not 3D (which is getting rarer and rarer nowadays), I haven't experienced any difficulties running on old system (RAM size aside). Heroes IV of Might and Magic is an example --it runs quite comfortably on my Duron 500 MHz system.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 17, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guess what? The 500 mhz beast is running nicely once again. The machine had fan troubles and it was not used for a while and it seems to be running nicely again but the fan is still running at a stupidly hot temperature. I can run nfs underground on this machine and the game uses 800 mhz for minimum requirements.

Reply 7 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought you said that machine was a ghz clocked to 500mhz? Doesn't count.

I can play Space Pod (lol) on my P100 w/ Voodoo2 at a staggering 25fps at 800x600x16 and that's a 2003 game 😮

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh. This thread makes me wonder: have you ever running new games on a very old video card? For example, have you ever run Quake 4 on an old Voodoo2 card?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 15 of 17, by mrreality13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,
I have gotten a old toshiba tecra 740cdt(lappy) running win 98
p1 .166 mhz w/ mmx//147 ram//5 gig hd//12x cd rom(cant boot from in bios)NO floppy
any ideas for games?

Thanx In advance