VOGONS

crappy old power supplies

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 157, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is filtering if you look closely, starting inbetween the heatsinks, to the right of the second photo. Plus the one on the AC receptacle.

As for the missing spot you're seeing, I am not sure but by how it's printed, it could have been an torroid for APFC, probably, and it is instead empty to (possibly) acommodate a classic PPFC choke instead (or none at all.)

The rest of it looks surprisingly decent considering the OEM being Key Mouse (K-Mex).

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 121 of 157, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stanwebber wrote on 2022-04-20, 23:05:

this 500w psu is JAM PACKED! in fact it is so FULL that when plugged in and turned OFF the voltage is leaking out. i measure 1.8v on all the red wires and 4v on the yellow wires. when actually powered on it reads within 5% of spec.

IMG_20220312_165359.jpg
IMG_20220312_165032_1_95.jpg

Be careful, that PSU has Fuhjyyu capacitors, this is a big red flag! Especially on such a cramped unit where these caps will get baked, and Fuhjyyus do not like heat at all! So if you intend to use it for powering any valuable hardware I would replace all these caps with good quality Japanese caps.

Reply 122 of 157, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

CWT (Channel Well) OEM, looks pretty sturdy. What are the connectors on it? (besides normal ATX, that is)

1x 6-pin GPU cable
3x molex cable with 3 connectors
1x SATA cable with 2 connectors
1x optional floppy-molex adapter

PSU can hold only 4 cables simultaneously. So maybe there was additional SATA cable to give more options what to plug, which was lost in time. Judging by ATX specs, it was manufactured somewhere around 2005-2006.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-04-22, 09:14. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 123 of 157, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:47:

There is filtering if you look closely, starting inbetween the heatsinks, to the right of the second photo. Plus the one on the AC receptacle.

Eh, this isn't even a modular PSU, I take that back, I got confused by all the AC sockets. It looks like it has one input and two outputs for some reason, and those are switched on/off via a relay. It has an on/off switch there as well.
I have not seen relays in PC PSUs for decades now, what a weird contraption. Perhaps it's meant for a specific market?

Reply 124 of 157, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

psu might still be for sale on amazon. i especially like the title of the sole customer review.

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Power-Supply-SP … t/dp/B00PE692ZO

it was a fantastic power supply for more than a decade. i finally took it out of service because all the fans would continue to spin after the system was powered off. (also lost 1 motherboard under it awhile back)

Last edited by stanwebber on 2022-04-21, 21:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 125 of 157, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2022-04-21, 21:40:

psu might still be for sale on amazon. i especially like the title of the sole customer review.

What the hell did he expect for $10? 🤣

Reply 126 of 157, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it was a fantastic power supply for more than a decade. i finally took it out of service because all the fans would continue to spin after the system was powered off. (also lost 1 motherboard under it awhile back)

They said it would be quiet, they didn't say that it would work...

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 127 of 157, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

those crappy power supply with the all metall smell are a classic
and we all used them, no clue on how much time they lasted.

During the Athlon XP era i used it with one of those crappy PSU, until i got some money and i was able to buy a real PSU Topower brand, that thing was super heavy and the metal had a mirror finish.
Some weeks ago i was able to buy an old Topower power supply from that era that is 520W with a super juicy 5v line with a shitload of amps. It was never opened for a cleanup because the sticker is there on the screw.

My idea is to open it someday, and check all the capacitors, because during that era ...capacitors were a mess. I bet many of them have bulged. But it would be good to replace all caps (excluding the big ones that are like 400 volt ones). My idea is to open it someday, remove all caps, and make a big order on digikey to leave it like new

Reply 128 of 157, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why does it have 4 power plugs?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 129 of 157, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-04-21, 21:50:

They said it would be quiet, they didn't say that it would work...

If it explodes is that still considered "quiet"?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 130 of 157, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's the councils judgement on this almost 2 decades old PSU? Is it good?

IMG_7066.JPG
Filename
IMG_7066.JPG
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Just trolling. 😜
Can anyone guess the brand? The heatspreaders kinda give it away.

Reply 132 of 157, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-22, 00:51:
What's the councils judgement on this almost 2 decades old PSU? Is it good? IMG_7066.JPG Just trolling. :P Can anyone guess the […]
Show full quote

IMG_7066.JPG
Just trolling. 😜

Enermax?

I like jumpers.

Reply 133 of 157, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-22, 00:51:
What's the councils judgement on this almost 2 decades old PSU? Is it good? IMG_7066.JPG Just trolling. :P Can anyone guess the […]
Show full quote

IMG_7066.JPG
Just trolling. 😜

Enermax, the transformer and the PCE-TUR caps gave it away.

I'm taking a wild guess and going to say it has a strong 5v rail.
Would recap it (anything that isn't Rubycon/Panasonic in a PSU is bad news, maybe except Teapo since I've seen those used in Xbox PSUs.) and take care of it.

Reply 134 of 157, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 04:25:

Enermax?

PcBytes wrote on 2022-04-22, 06:00:

Enermax, the transformer and the PCE-TUR caps gave it away.

Yupp!

You're goddamn right!

IMG_7078.JPG
Filename
IMG_7078.JPG
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Beefy 5V, beefy 12V AND beefy -5V.
I usually only see 0.5A on -5V.
It's the last series from Enermax which still has -5V. Everything newer is ATX 2.0 and therefore doesn't have -5V.

PcBytes wrote on 2022-04-22, 06:00:

Would recap it (anything that isn't Rubycon/Panasonic in a PSU is bad news, maybe except Teapo since I've seen those used in Xbox PSUs.) and take care of it.

Are those caps really that bad? It's definitely worth preserving.
I have 4 of them and none has bulged caps so far. 1x ATX1.3 465W, 2x ATX1.3 365W, 1x ATX1.2 365W. The ATX1.2 version has one of these AUX connectors for Pentium 4.
Got the 465W one a few months ago and forgot to inspect+clean it. Only took it on a quick test run so far. Was a bit surprised that I got it for 10€ (including shipping).

Reply 135 of 157, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-22, 06:25:

I have 4 of them and none has bulged caps so far. 1x ATX1.3 465W, 2x ATX1.3 365W, 1x ATX1.2 365W. The ATX1.2 version has one of these AUX connectors for Pentium 4.
Got the 465W one a few months ago and forgot to inspect+clean it. Only took it on a quick test run so far. Was a bit surprised that I got it for 10€ (including shipping).

Pretty much. These older units were usually known because of the glue used being a issue (becomes conductive), and the caps being pretty bad (although they're not the only ones to use them in the early 2000s, IIRC Seasonic did too.).

Here's an example of glue blowing up stuff in Enermax units:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php? … ht=Enermax+glue

I had one of those 365W units as well (EG365P/VE) but unfortunately by the time I had bought it second hand, the glue had already done damage. Ended up parting out the unit, and various parts have gone into other PSUs (main caps went into an beefy nJoy 500W unit, golden grille went into a spare Premier/DEER casing I have kept for rebuild purposes, and a few other stuff went into various PSUs over the years) so not a very big loss for me, especially since I had gotten a Seasonic SS-351HT shortly after the Enermax.

Reply 136 of 157, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2022-04-22, 08:03:
Pretty much. These older units were usually known because of the glue used being a issue (becomes conductive), and the caps bein […]
Show full quote

Pretty much. These older units were usually known because of the glue used being a issue (becomes conductive), and the caps being pretty bad (although they're not the only ones to use them in the early 2000s, IIRC Seasonic did too.).

I had one of those 365W units as well (EG365P/VE) but unfortunately by the time I had bought it second hand, the glue had already done damage. Ended up parting out the unit, and various parts have gone into other PSUs (main caps went into an beefy nJoy 500W unit, golden grille went into a spare Premier/DEER casing I have kept for rebuild purposes, and a few other stuff went into various PSUs over the years) so not a very big loss for me, especially since I had gotten a Seasonic SS-351HT shortly after the Enermax.

This glue becoming conductive over time is quite concerning. Which glue is it specifically and how does one recognize it?
Any recommendations on what glue to use? (and preferably one that is not too expensive, one that is effective and/or one that is relatively easy to work with).

I don't think I have any Enermax PSUs, are there any other models perhaps affected? Or did it affect a certain era or vintage in certain years?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 137 of 157, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're goddamn right!

Alter, please don't misquote me. I make it a habit not to speculate about die Netzgeräte. 😁
(you must have copypasted the wrong quote string...)

Oh well, and I have a MSI KT3-Ultra and and Geforce 4 4200 that were violently sent to the eternal hunting grounds by an Enermax dual fan, as mentioned several times before.
To elaborate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizEamsB-mk

I like jumpers.

Reply 138 of 157, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-22, 10:14:
This glue becoming conductive over time is quite concerning. Which glue is it specifically and how does one recognize it? Any re […]
Show full quote
PcBytes wrote on 2022-04-22, 08:03:
Pretty much. These older units were usually known because of the glue used being a issue (becomes conductive), and the caps bein […]
Show full quote

This glue becoming conductive over time is quite concerning. Which glue is it specifically and how does one recognize it?
Any recommendations on what glue to use? (and preferably one that is not too expensive, one that is effective and/or one that is relatively easy to work with).

I don't think I have any Enermax PSUs, are there any other models perhaps affected? Or did it affect a certain era or vintage in certain years?

It's a kind of tan glue which as years go by somehow starts getting conductive. It was used to probably hold the MOSFETs and rectifiers during manufacturing.

FSP also had this issue as far as I remember with some of their older units from early to mid 2000s.

Reply 139 of 157, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 14:15:
Alter, please don't misquote me. I make it a habit not to speculate about die Netzgeräte. :D (you must have copypasted the wrong […]
Show full quote

You're goddamn right!

Alter, please don't misquote me. I make it a habit not to speculate about die Netzgeräte. 😁
(you must have copypasted the wrong quote string...)

Oh well, and I have a MSI KT3-Ultra and and Geforce 4 4200 that were violently sent to the eternal hunting grounds by an Enermax dual fan, as mentioned several times before.
To elaborate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizEamsB-mk

This youtube video doesn't elaborate anything. It's just a stupid 8 second meme oneliner.
(and yes, it's literally 8 seconds)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!