VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, ive got image files for MS-DOS 6.22, and i bought a pack of blank 1.44MB floppy disks to put DOS on. Well, the pc im trying to use, while it is running windows 10, has the hardware support for a 3.5" drive, which i do have. The problem im running into, is in attempting to copy the image files to the floppy disk, im either greeted with a "not enough space" message, normally by 17kb from format. Or a "cyclic redundancy error" something along those likes. Not as often as the space error tho. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reply 2 of 13, by scruit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have an .img file then you can't just copy that file to A:. In fact, you don't even need to format a disk if you are writing an .img file to it, because the img contains the format. The .img file contains a sector-by-sector binary image of what the disk should look like, and you need a piece of software that will read those sectors from .img file and write them to directly to those disk sectors at a very low level.

Imagine a disk is like a new sheet of blank white paper. You can write stuff on it but it'll be disorganized. Formatting the disk is like adding a margin and lines - the margin takes up space that you can't write in, but it, with the lines, helps organize the stuff you write on there. The .img file already contains the disk format (margin and lines etc) so it's like you're taking a sheet of lined/margin paper full of crappy 80's song lyrics (the .img file) and trying to fit it onto your new sheet of paper that you just put a margin and lines on (your new formatted disk). You cannot overlap the margin on your new sheet, so the sheet with the song lyrics won't fit (this is the 17kb). What you need to do is just paste the sheet of song lyrics directly on top of your new sheet, lining up the edges so it fits. Doesn't matter if your new sheet had margin/lines or was blank, it's all overwritten - and now it's just crappy 80's song lyrics.

Getting back to reality... There are many options. RaWrite is one I've used in the past.
http://www.netbsd.org/~martin/rawrite32/
http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

I currently don't have a modern PC with IDE any more so I use a GreaseWeazle to connect via USB - this creates a very low-level connection (does not 'mount' the disk, but allows image files to be read and written). https://decromancer.ooo/greaseweazle/ If you have a floppy drive that you can format and store data on then you don't need this - I just mention this for folks who have older disk drives that you can't buy USB version from Amazon. I can connect my 5.25 to my modern PC and use GW to write img files to it, then those disks work on my vintage PCs.

Regarding Cyclic Redundancy Checks... Back in the days where floppy disks were the norm and hard disks were a luxury... it was just understood that some floppy disks arrived with bad sectors. The CRC error sounds like that. DOS will recognize bad sectors, mark them, then avoid them when storing individual files, but an img file does not allow the flexibility of just putting data somewhere else on disk. A disk with bad sectors cannot be used on an img file because the img file dictates exactly where to store the data on the disk, and if that is on top of a bad sector then so be it. Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz Error.. If you have a floppy disk that gives you a CRC error when writing an img file to it then I would do a full format of the disk (not a quick format, which skips the exhaustive sector-by-sector checks) and then run CHKDSK. It will tell you if it found bad sectors. Any bad sectors? Mark the disk. It's still ok for files, just not disk images.

Reply 3 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, admittedly, I was trying to just copy to A 🤣. It would pull up the progress bar and make an attemt, but then id run into one of the two errors i mentioned. Is there any way to remove partitions from the formatted floppies so i can fit the img file on it? Also, ill give PowerISO a shot. Maybe i could write the disk using the windows command prompt?

Reply 4 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: PowerISO gives me options for cd, dvd, and bluray disks, but not 3.5" floppy diskettes. Maybe im missing something? NetBSD Disk Image Tool doesnt see the files at all, to even copy to the floppy.

Reply 5 of 13, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could you try Win32 Disk Imager? It's free but I don't know if it will write to a floppy drive. I don't have a floppy drive in any newer machines at the moment so I can't test it.

https://win32diskimager.org/

Reply 7 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just use WinImage, it should work just fine.
Run the program, then load the image.
Choose "Disk" in the menu bar, select your floppy drive and click on "write image to diskette" or similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTY5XNGxNrw

@scruit Your intentions at explaining are good and noble, but the OP seems to lack basic knowledge in computing (that's the norm nowadays). Or is a former Mac user.
Without knowing what a sector, image etc is, someone can't apply the information provided. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RawWrite for windows appears to be working. Ill follow up if I can test the floppys on another system, to see if everything installed properly.
@Jo22 ive used windows for a long time, but the only experience I have in writing disks is music CDs for my truck as i didnt have Bluetooth, or installing newer OS's through thumb drive. Personally i dont care for Mac 🤣. But you were right, some knowledge is lacking a little with the older tech 😅

Reply 9 of 13, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: the write was successful! The test pc I think is to new for DOS 6.22 tho, as I rebooted it after the install, and it says "error: unknown filesystem. Entering rescue mode..." for context, the test rig is an AMD Socket 462 system, roughly 1999-2000 ish

Reply 11 of 13, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just extract the images and copy the files directly to the hard drive of your soon to be DOS PC. You'll just need a boot disk and install from the hard drive.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 12 of 13, by scruit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-04-23, 19:10:

Update: the write was successful! The test pc I think is to new for DOS 6.22 tho, as I rebooted it after the install, and it says "error: unknown filesystem. Entering rescue mode..." for context, the test rig is an AMD Socket 462 system, roughly 1999-2000 ish

I've been booting into Dos6.22 on my 386-16 from 1988. A 486 is not too old. 😀

I had the same question last week, and I just confirmed and loaded into Dos.622 today!

Reply 13 of 13, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-04-23, 15:53:

Update: PowerISO gives me options for cd, dvd, and bluray disks, but not 3.5" floppy diskettes. Maybe im missing something? NetBSD Disk Image Tool doesnt see the files at all, to even copy to the floppy.

Just go to Tools/Write floppy disk image file. Like said already there are a lot of programs for writing image files. I like this one as you can also create and edit CD/floppy images.