VOGONS

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi its hard to describe the problem but i try it.

I have an Asrock P4i45 GV board. It was not running stable. I looked at the capacitors and the main ones were done, all arched at top. So i changed them and now the board ran fine. So i installed windows 98 drivers etc., still ok. Installed also nfs 5 and as soon as i want to go to 3d setup my screen freezes. I can move the mouse around but cannot click anymore. Also wanted to start dxdiag and happens the same.

The other components are ok since i use them on other boards.

Looked at all other capacitors, they look optically good, so what might be the problem?

Reply 1 of 17, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd replace them all even if optically good. I've had enough caps look good but be absolutely dead inside to warn anybody who does a recap to go ahead and do it on the whole board, and not just a certain section.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 17, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried that video card in another system or another card in this system. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the GPU and it fails when switching into 3d mode from 2d mode. What video card are you using?

Reply 4 of 17, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
atom1kk wrote on 2022-04-04, 15:24:

Is there a possibility to check them with aslong they are in the board or do they have to be out?

They have to be out, or at least one leg has to be floating.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 17, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There can be electrolytic caps that are beginning to fail that show no signs. One way to check with the cap in circuit is an ESR meter. But for me, if I see signs of failure in a certain set of caps, I'd order up enough to replace that set of caps entirely, even if not all bad just in case, since it really doesn't cost much to have enough on hand to replace them if they are a bad brand of cap, you'd be glad you prepared to do it. You do not have to replace all caps. I'd just focus on some commonality such as same brand, same rating, same type, same purpose, etc.

Reply 6 of 17, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its a GF2 Ti, it works fine in two other systems, so it cant be the GPU. I changed all of them with the same type since they were all done. They were the biggest ones on the board. I marked them in red.

Interesting is, that the board doesnt have a 12V connector. I thought its mandatory. All my other boards have one.

Unfortunatelly im not in the mood to change them all 😁, those 5 I had enough. I have another board which works fine. The benefit of this board is that i can drop down the FSB to 50Mhz and slowdown the CPU.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    445.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 17, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a multimeter? If so, check supply voltages. If they look good, then check if they stay stable when the system is put under stress. If you see them sagging much while Windows boots, for example, it's likely a problem.
Failing that, at least look at the BIOS readings, but keep in mind those are unreliable. Some boards will give readings that are wildly different from what a real meter will show.

Does it only lock up with 3D? What about Prime95 or memtest86, do those pass?

Reply 9 of 17, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the exact same issue you're describing just yesterday on a very similar computer. Asus P4p800-VM, i865 chipset, 2.8GHz northwood pentium 4, 1Gb of DDR333 (2x512) and a Geforce FX 5700LE with 128MB of vram.

How much RAM are you running? If you're running 1Gb and an nvidia card with win98, you either have to drop down to 768MB or install PATCHMEM. https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

On my PC, everything ran fine until installing the video card drivers. I tried several versions with various results, from hags/freezing like you're describing to having the video card be detected as a 2d only device in dxdiag (direct X 8.1).

I dual-boot XP and 98 on this PC, and everything ran perfectly well under windows XP. So I pulled a stick of ram, and the PC was perfectly stable under windows 98 with 512MB. As soon as I put the other stick in, the PC would boot into win98 and hang when launching a 3d game.

Reply 13 of 17, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yep tried it also on 2 different supplies.

got my first succes. I left after windows reinstall the standard chipset drivers proveded by windows. If i go now on dispay 1 it doesnt hang up any more. but it shows me an error "0x88760249" DDERR_CANTCREATEDC.
I left dx 6.1 which was installed originally. tired it before with DX9 this doesnt work at all. it does not hang up, but it even cant manage the first ddraw test (the one via d3d)

found 3 other drivers. with the latest i get also the same error but atleast it does not hang up. with the windows standard driver i can also do the 3d test. with the oldest "working" on not. it just rashes as soon as it wants to start direct 3d.

so here is an overviev

standard - does not hang up , error, d3d test OK
version 1003 - hangs up
version 1001 - hangs up
version 1007 - does not hang up, error, test not ok. crashes on test start

the guy who sold the board to my was only running XP and he had no issues. maybe its a win 98 issue?

Reply 14 of 17, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After analyzing it seems there might be somehow a conflict with the onboard gpu. Is it possible that wi98 cant handle it somehow? All my other boards did not have an onboard gpu. In bios i can only choose the primary one. But nothing more. I already set it to agp

Reply 17 of 17, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

installed win XP to test and there are no issues at all. so seems kind of issue with win98. but atleast it works with standard drivers without problems. But still would like to know how it might me possible to prevent the issue. maybe there was a fix for win 98 or something?

after bit of testing its definotely the issue with the onbaord gpu. windows automatically installs a standard PCI graphics driver to my normal one. and this seems to be the issue. tried to deactivate this one, but than my agp card does not work correct.

so its a win 98 issue atleast with this board