VOGONS

Reply 120 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thunderbirds and DDR motherboards are OK.

We will have more competitions in the future. We will try to have better more thought through hardware rules in future competitions.

Maybe you can give us some input.
Me and my friends are discussing rules for a possible upcoming "1998" competition.

I was thinking something like this:
The theme is #Quake2toTheMax. The guy/gal that gets the highest fps score wins.

Max Pentium II 504mhz
Or K6-2 unlimited OC. This time it is k6-2. Not 3 or any of the + models.
I was thinking unlimited OC on the AMD cpu just give it a fighting chance with the pentium II:s K6-2 has 3dnow.

The hard part is graphic card rules. 3DFX Voodoo2 SLI or not? Or should we just skip the voodoo:s?

Or should we go for 1997 tech?

What do you guys think?

Any comments?

Reply 121 of 253, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For quake2 it has to be Voodoo2 or Riva TNT. This game sold tons of Voodoos.
Are Mendocino Celerons allowed? They are more affordabale and clockable, since they are not limited by L2 cache chips.

Reply 122 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stef80 wrote on 2022-04-25, 19:21:

Are Mendocino Celerons allowed? They are more affordabale and clockable, since they are not limited by L2 cache chips.

Well. We havent really decided anything yet. But those celerons would be allowed if we decide to go with the Pentium II/K6-2 theme

How about banning the voodoo2 line of cards?

U0tzxgj.png

It would be a much fairer competition since the voodoo2 is way faster then its competition.

Reply 124 of 253, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Necrodude wrote on 2022-04-25, 20:28:
Well. We havent really decided anything yet. But those celerons would be allowed if we decide to go with the Pentium II/K6-2 the […]
Show full quote
stef80 wrote on 2022-04-25, 19:21:

Well. We havent really decided anything yet. But those celerons would be allowed if we decide to go with the Pentium II/K6-2 theme

How about banning the voodoo2 line of cards?

U0tzxgj.png

It would be a much fairer competition since the voodoo2 is way faster then its competition.

Or you could force a Voodoo2 into 800x600. The framerates are relatively equalized, and you keep the number of possible participants high.

Reply 127 of 253, by Tweakstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love this contest!

cfg tweaking and building dlls or Q3 clients is alien to me, but I copied some stuff together and can bring some serious hardware from that era 😎
I think this is a really cool idea you came up with @necrodude - I only wished that the Geforce 256 DDR was excluded, because its release was 2000-02 and it would have been a ton more exciting regarding video cards.

Therefore I find the idea to exclude Voodoo 2 (/SLI) from a Q2 contest really good, because it opens up the possibility for more diverse builds.

I hope I can submit a result for Q3 by tomorrow 😀

Reply 128 of 253, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tweakstone wrote on 2022-04-25, 21:57:
I love this contest! […]
Show full quote

I love this contest!

cfg tweaking and building dlls or Q3 clients is alien to me, but I copied some stuff together and can bring some serious hardware from that era 😎
I think this is a really cool idea you came up with @necrodude - I only wished that the Geforce 256 DDR was excluded, because its release was 2000-02 and it would have been a ton more exciting regarding video cards.

Therefore I find the idea to exclude Voodoo 2 (/SLI) from a Q2 contest really good, because it opens up the possibility for more diverse builds.

OK, I realize again that I'm a Voodoo agnostic. Was finishing highschool and starting college back then, had other things to do, people to meet, barrels to drink.
Considered getting a set as a curiosity ten years ago, but they already were mid two digits. (only got a token single ct... 8 MB) Of course I could buy a house today, but still...
Are the SLI V2s supposed to beat a GF256 DDR? Really? They're what, two years older? Back then, that was eons...

I like jumpers.

Reply 129 of 253, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-25, 22:36:
OK, I realize again that I'm a Voodoo agnostic. Was finishing highschool and starting college back then, had other things to do, […]
Show full quote
Tweakstone wrote on 2022-04-25, 21:57:
I love this contest! […]
Show full quote

I love this contest!

OK, I realize again that I'm a Voodoo agnostic. Was finishing highschool and starting college back then, had other things to do, people to meet, barrels to drink.
Considered getting a set as a curiosity ten years ago, but they already were mid two digits. (only got a token single ct... 8 MB) Of course I could buy a house today, but still...
Are the SLI V2s supposed to beat a GF256 DDR? Really? They're what, two years older? Back then, that was eons...

Although it is not clear, the GeForce 256 comment is in reference to the Quake III contest ('Tweakstone' is suggesting it should have been banned). For the next contest, which is Quake 2, 'Tweakstone' agrees with the idea the Voodoo2 should be banned. The GeForce 256 and Voodoo2 were the tops of their generation.

Reply 130 of 253, by Tweakstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, of course a V2 SLI cannot compete with a GeForce 256, let alone the DDR Version.

Voodoo 2 SLI was extremly powerful a its time, as it essentially offered next-Gen Performance back then and sometimes even reached Voodoo 3 3000 Performance (UT99 for example).

But GeForce 256 ist another Generation more and a completely different Level of Performance.

Typing english on a German Smartphone is Not fun. 😒

Reply 132 of 253, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tweakstone wrote on 2022-04-26, 06:06:

Typing english on a German Smartphone is Not fun. 😒

The keyboard on my LG lets me flip between languages... which it usually does on me accidentally... typing like "I'm at the store shall I pick up a bag of flugzeugabwehrkanone flour? dammit."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 135 of 253, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2022-04-26, 15:25:

Pentium II 504? Do you mean to say PII 450?

He means something like if you had a PII@400MHz using a 4 multiplier with a 126MHz bus, you'd get a PII@504MHz OC.

Reply 136 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-26, 15:43:
Garrett W wrote on 2022-04-26, 15:25:

Pentium II 504? Do you mean to say PII 450?

He means something like if you had a PII@400MHz using a 4 multiplier with a 126MHz bus, you'd get a PII@504MHz OC.

Or if you have a Pentium II 450 and you crank up the bus to 112mhz you will also get 504mhz.

Reply 138 of 253, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Necrodude wrote on 2022-04-26, 16:17:

I figured since the k6-2 is way slower then the Pentium II, it would be more fair to allow unlimited OC on the k6-2.
Even with the 3dnow patch installed the Pentium II 450 wins over a k6-2

Yeah, there's literally nothing that you can do with a standard K6-2 to make it surpass a Pentium 2 450 in Quake 2.
A very overclocked K6-3+, running at 633MHz or more can do it, though (with the 3DNow! patch).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 139 of 253, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after quite a lot of testing I have concluded that once you hit a certain GPU level and certain settings in the game the GPU type just will not matter anymore.
Q3A seems to be 100% (or very near) CPU/mem speed limited.
I noticed this when I was playing around with my stack of GF2 MX's (they manage 100MHz AGP bus).
Overclocking them gave ZERO extra performance.
And chucking in a GF2-U for the lols showed the same thing.

Now its certainly possible that you still need a GeForce class graphics card and I didn't test with any TNT era cards.

But it seems like this is a test of finding a combination of bus-speeds, memory timings, drivers and what sound card that steals the least amount of performance =)

Anyways I'm throwing down this gauntlet:

https://youtu.be/BtJpZZfmrU4

The hardware used is in the comment.
No HW secrets from me.
And its far from fully tweaked.
And yea, the CPU-z version I'm using wont show the actual CPU frequency (notised after uploading the vid) but its legit.