VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Last week I picked up a Matsonic MS7127C 370 socket motherboard for my retro build. I already had a Gigabyte ga-6vxc7 but I ran into some problems while configuring that board as can be read in this post.

The Matsonic worked fine on the first boot! The only thing bothering me was the fan as it made quite some noise. I decided to change it for another heatsink and fan I had laying around. Specifically, the one that came with the Gigabyte motherboard. I also applied some cool paste as I noticed it wasn't on the 1 GHZ P3 processor. And from there things went bad...

I tried to boot the system after replacing the heatsink and applying the cool paste and BOOM nothing to be seen on my monitor. Every fan is spinning and the mobo is definitely getting power, however no signal to be seen. The other components can't be broken as they worked perfectly well before the change. I also tried re-installing the previous heatsink and fan, but that also didn't work..
This is exactly the problem I ran into with my Gigabyte motherboard, and I'm afraid i may have screwed something up with the heatsink - however, I wouldn't know what... I'm feeling really dumb for potentially messing up these two mobo's 🙁

It would be amazing if somebody has an idea of what I did wrong

Reply 2 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this system is still inside a case, chances are you accidentally knocked one of the cables slightly out or you slightly moved something else. Try to remove and reattach all cables first and check any cables that are currently not attached to anything right now.

And yes please check for any beep codes. Make sure you have a speaker attached or you obviously won't hear anything 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 5, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, I cleaned the cool paste of the CPU reattached the heatsink and the motherboard booted! I don't know why, but it works! Now I only need to get it to recognise the IDE adapters and Floppy drive 🤣

Reply 4 of 5, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only way for thermal paste to cause issues is for you to apply an electrically conductive paste (most aren’t) over areas of the CPU or motherboard that shouldn’t have had paste applied.

I’m going to suggest (and hope) that the removal of the thermal paste is coincidental and that there was some other issue with the setup previously. Did you remove the CPU to clean it? Perhaps it wasn’t fully seated or perhaps one of the pins in the socket is worn or corroded and wasn’t making good contact.

Reply 5 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
paradigital wrote on 2022-04-28, 08:38:

The only way for thermal paste to cause issues is for you to apply an electrically conductive paste (most aren’t) over areas of the CPU or motherboard that shouldn’t have had paste applied.

I’m going to suggest (and hope) that the removal of the thermal paste is coincidental and that there was some other issue with the setup previously. Did you remove the CPU to clean it? Perhaps it wasn’t fully seated or perhaps one of the pins in the socket is worn or corroded and wasn’t making good contact.

This is what I'm also thinking. My guess is he perhaps had the heatsink mounted in reverse (180 degrees turned)?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!