VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. I ordered hopefully fully working, another, Voodoo 2 CT6670 12MB but, if it won't be fully working I have alternative to 'fix' but in this worst case scenario which chips to reflow ? If damaged in any way windows won't detect and if will I guess I'll see glitches on screen even in SLI?

2. How to tell if SLI cable (I got two made from regular FDD cables, twisted in the middle) works or not? If not I hope it just won't work and won't damage anything.

3. I updated Voodoo 3 2000 to the newest firmware/BIOS whatever (because not sure iif it has BIOS/FW or anything) and should I do the same to Voodoo 3 3000?

4. I plan to get Voodoo 3 3500 but should I look for nonTV version or performance is the same just I need to get adapter to VGA/DVI? And will windows force me to add drivers to TV part of it (I don't really care about)? Youtube videos proves this is the best (non 200MHz card) and non compaq OEM I could buy locally for (sic!) 2000PLN, ~448,28, and I don't think this is reasonable price to pay for this OEM.

5. I have 2 version of Gex 2 aka GEX 3D, European wersion (works on any PC with Voodoo with cosmic resolutuion, iirc 1130x320 or similar) and USA (a moment of black screen and kicks back to desktop), how to fix at least one? On Voodoo 1 EU version shows normal resolution of 640x480.

6. I've read, but this is just a curiousity, that Voodoo 4 and 5 are bad cards, why? Do they not support glide? I'm aware even V3 stands no chance against any other cheaper really AGP video cards with OpenGL and Direct3D but still. 😁

Reply 1 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) Don't see the point of reflowing old cards. More modern cards run much MUCH hotter, the extreme temperature changes from hot to cold casues cracks in the solder, when relowing a card your hoping to melt the solder somewhat to fill in these cracks. Old cards simply don't get hot enough for this to be a problem.

2) Yes it just works (or not) you wont hurt anything if it's not right.

3) Up to you, If the card is doing everything you want is it worth the risk on older hardware, Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Initially up to you though.

4) If you don't want the TV part you can use the generic drivers, note the TV card isn't using standard DVI however it seems you just need a "P&D adapter" which are still fairly common.
Voodoo3 3500TV, connect to monitor?

5) pass

6) I don't think Voodoo 4/5 are bad, its more that Glide was pretty much finished around the era of the V3 so no games really required anything more powerful. Made more sense to go out and buy a cheaper and better performing D3D card from Nvidia, so were rare even back then.
Nowadays they are sort after as that extra power can be used for things like enabling AA but are priced out of most peoples budgets.
Compatibility is also an issue with some games been locked to a V1 or maybe V2 at best.

Reply 2 of 7, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Think that with the current pricing of v5, you can get other cards, that will do the same, just faster 😜, if you are into "newer" games. I do like mine.

They are the fastest voodoos you can get, maybe some compatibility issues for older stuff (dont know, cus I havent played anything older than 97).
I dont have a crt, nor do I want one, I also dont wanna play at 800x600, so v5 is as low as want to go with my usecase, and even that is sometimes meh... There are fanatics(dumbasses) on both sides, 3dfx and anti-3dfx, so you know, form your own opinion 😀 its not like the debate is not for a 20y old hardware, so very important stuff in life!

Reply 4 of 7, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding 1, I fixed around 20-30 V2 cards. Most of them had bad solder joints on the FBI/TMUs. For some reason the solder on these cards (regardless of the brand) has turned to mush. The failures I'm describeing are not due to mechanical damage.

Reply 5 of 7, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well its been good 20 years since the cards were made. And I guess you could actually use v2 for a couple of years when it was current, so you know, dont think we will be seeing rtx3090 cards after 20y 😁

Reply 6 of 7, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, nowadays, and I think that's good, no matter which card, no matter if too fast, as for DOS and early 3D gaming all parts matter or game will be too fast.

But again, what's the deal with V3 cards? I heard Velocity is too slow, and 2000, 3000 and 3500 are good to go but their clock speed is different and as owner (already) of 2000 and 3000 I see the difference and it's only 20MHz. 😁