VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Today I tried to install Win 98 SE on my retro rig which features a Matsonic ms7127c motherboard. Unfortunately the setup freezes at several points. Most of the time it freezes when it is supposed to start with the copying of files, but also before that. I've tried three different WIN 98 CD's and also swapped out the CD-drive. I'm pretty certain it must be something else than the CD-Drive or install disc.
I've also formatted the HDD, swapped out the RAM and the GPU. The only other thing attached is an DVD-RW drive as a slave. Any ideas what might be the cause of this?

Reply 1 of 7, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try using two IDE cables and jumpering both drives to master? I once also had problems with a board when I tried to use both drives on the same channel.
Do you have another HDD you can try?

Reply 2 of 7, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately no result. I also swapped the HDD for another one that already had Win 98 installed. I can't get into my desktop as it crashes when installing the plug and play drivers.. I get a Msgrv32 error code and it freezes. Trying to reinstall Windows also doesn't work as it freezes during installation.

Reply 3 of 7, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try other IDE cables?
I once had a cable that turned out to be broken. Swapped everything and nothing did help. I assumed the board was broken. When I later used the same cable on another board which did work before, I got the same issues. Was just like you described: Crashes/freezes during installation.

Another option you could try:
Swap the CPU or, if you don't have another CPU that fits, downclock the CPU a bit. Maybe it got degraded by too much overclocking and can't handle stock settings anymore.

Last edited by RaiderOfLostVoodoo on 2022-04-30, 16:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to go with...

Bad caps.
or bad memory,
or too tight on the memory timings...
or a lousy psu,
or some HF switching interference caused by the solar power inverters inducing some RF noise which upsets the giant invisible pixies which live inside of all our electronicals .

but I'm biased, so I'm sticking with bad caps.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 7, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:59:

or some HF switching interference caused by the solar power inverters inducing some RF noise which upsets the giant invisible pixies which live inside of all our electronicals .

but I'm biased, so I'm sticking with bad caps.

😁 😁 😁

Made me spill my tea 😜

Reply 6 of 7, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Probably too obvious but how much ram did you install? Not only does win98 dislike to run with lots of memory but sometimes also struggles to install.
2. Today I've been installing WinMe using usb keyboard and mouse connected by usb hub. I found a bizarre issue that would cause the install to apparently freeze -> it only advanced when I moved the mouse! It would also not register keyboard keystroke until I moved a mouse (which was extremely erratic too with random clicks). Turns out bios usb settings interfered with the install process, had to tweak usb handoff settings.
3. VIA UDMA controllers have always been somewhat buggy, try forcing pio in bios.

Reply 7 of 7, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-28, 15:06:
Did you try other IDE cables? I once had a cable that turned out to be broken. Swapped everything and nothing did help. I assume […]
Show full quote

Did you try other IDE cables?
I once had a cable that turned out to be broken. Swapped everything and nothing did help. I assumed the board was broken. When I later used the same cable on another board which did work before, I got the same issues. Was just like you described: Crashes/freezes during installation.

Another option you could try:
Swap the CPU or, if you don't have another CPU that fits, downclock the CPU a bit. Maybe it got degraded by too much downclocking and can't handle stock settings anymore.

It was the CPU! Swapped for another 1 GHZ and it runs fine 😁 Right now I'm installing drivers and hopefully I'll be playing some games in an hour or so