Topic actions

Reply 240 of 332, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crazii wrote on 2021-12-09, 17:07:
mockingbird wrote on 2021-12-08, 16:49:
I think you need the modified setupds. The download is available at Phil's Computer Lab. […]
Show full quote
crazii wrote on 2021-12-08, 14:52:
I have sb-link connected with 724 and i815 board, but the IRQ and IRQ mode in setupds is greyed out. Now I can only get FM in DO […]
Show full quote

I have sb-link connected with 724 and i815 board, but the IRQ and IRQ mode in setupds is greyed out. Now I can only get FM in DOS.
Am I connecting them wrong? The header on both sides have no hint of the plug orientation.😁

Checked this thread AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header
And make sure they are correctly connected, still not working. There's no PCI ISA settings or DMA settings in BIOS.

EDIT:
Use setupds 3.16 and the DMA mode can be set to S-IRQ, but get a "Cannot detect interrupt at..." error. Then I reversed one side of sb-link connector and everything works fine now.

I think you need the modified setupds. The download is available at Phil's Computer Lab.

I tested this with my 724 and 845 (ICH2) motherboard last night and it worked fine. Confirmed by unplugging/plugging back in the SB-Link header and doing the tests. Everything worked (Set to S-IRQ, and PC/PCI was automatically selected and greyed out), but "SB 8-bit audio" was silent unless the cable was plugged in (The Native audio and FM tests worked with the cable plugged out).

EDIT: Ok, I see your edit now. You had the SB-Link plugged in the wrong way.

Now for my question: Can you please test Turrican 2 and see if the sound works with just the SB Link and nothing else (no TSRs, drivers, or otherwise... Just the set blaster variable)?

I tested Turrican 2 just now without TSR and it ain't having any sound.

SETUPDS is not a TSR. It is only a configuration utility.

Since you have a setup with the PC-PCI cable, it should act pretty much like a regular ISA card.

The only stock TSR for these cards is the DSDMA one which is not needed since you have a setup that supports DDMA and PC-PCI.

You may need to play with IRQ settings in the BIOS or try a different PCI slot. However, if it is working fine with most games then that isn't going to help unless you want games to run that have hard coded IRQ or DMA settings.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 241 of 332, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-10, 05:17:
SETUPDS is not a TSR. It is only a configuration utility. […]
Show full quote
mockingbird wrote on 2021-12-08, 16:49:
I think you need the modified setupds. The download is available at Phil's Computer Lab. […]
Show full quote

I think you need the modified setupds. The download is available at Phil's Computer Lab.

I tested this with my 724 and 845 (ICH2) motherboard last night and it worked fine. Confirmed by unplugging/plugging back in the SB-Link header and doing the tests. Everything worked (Set to S-IRQ, and PC/PCI was automatically selected and greyed out), but "SB 8-bit audio" was silent unless the cable was plugged in (The Native audio and FM tests worked with the cable plugged out).

EDIT: Ok, I see your edit now. You had the SB-Link plugged in the wrong way.

Now for my question: Can you please test Turrican 2 and see if the sound works with just the SB Link and nothing else (no TSRs, drivers, or otherwise... Just the set blaster variable)?

Since you have a setup with the PC-PCI cable, it should act pretty much like a regular ISA card.

The only stock TSR for these cards is the DSDMA one which is not needed since you have a setup that supports DDMA and PC-PCI.

You may need to play with IRQ settings in the BIOS or try a different PCI slot. However, if it is working fine with most games then that isn't going to help unless you want games to run that have hard coded IRQ or DMA settings.

OK, the funny thing is DSDMA's also working besides SETUPDS /s , but I use SETUPDS /s because there's no DDMA actually.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 242 of 332, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2021-12-10, 04:35:

Yep I modified the cfg file to set the correct DMA, but no sound. Guess it's too picky 😁.
There is a omd folder besides msd, dunno the difference but I tried that in cfg but still no.

I tried Turrican II with a real SB16, it wouldn't work!

I don't think it likes DSP 4.13 (or DSP 4.11).

Maybe I'll try setting it to ordinary SB in the CFG file and perhaps reserving the IRQ in the BIOS.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 243 of 332, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crazii wrote on 2021-12-10, 09:32:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-10, 05:17:
SETUPDS is not a TSR. It is only a configuration utility. […]
Show full quote

OK, the funny thing is DSDMA's also working besides SETUPDS /s , but I use SETUPDS /s because there's no DDMA actually.

If you have PC-PCI there is absolutely no need for DDMA or DSDMA.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 244 of 332, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2021-12-11, 22:55:
I tried Turrican II with a real SB16, it wouldn't work! […]
Show full quote
crazii wrote on 2021-12-10, 04:35:

Yep I modified the cfg file to set the correct DMA, but no sound. Guess it's too picky 😁.
There is a omd folder besides msd, dunno the difference but I tried that in cfg but still no.

I tried Turrican II with a real SB16, it wouldn't work!

I don't think it likes DSP 4.13 (or DSP 4.11).

Maybe I'll try setting it to ordinary SB in the CFG file and perhaps reserving the IRQ in the BIOS.

Well I solved the Turrican II conundrum...

The answer lies mainly in the principle of "don't have one one single computer for every retro scenario".

Also important is not to use the incomplete Turrican download you get from most sites. You need setup.exe, you need the TURRICAN.CFG directory, and when you run T2.exe from the TURRICAN directory, it should launch setup.exe for you each time.

Why setup.exe throws a funny exception error, I don't know. Maybe it is a speed-sensitive executable... Maybe it's incompatible with FAT32. Maybe both.

All I know is that I set up a system with the following parameters:

486 DX2/66
MSDOS 6.22 (NOT MS-DOS 7.1!)
FAT16 Partition (NOT FAT32!)

When I first ran setup and specified my soundcard (original vanilla Sound Blaster, not SB16 this time), the game launched and I got sound. But then the sound cut off and I resolved to check my settings. Lo and behold, the jumpers on my Sound Blaster were set for IRQ7, and I had it configured for IRQ5. Changing my SET BLASTER parameter (SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2) and changing the IRQ in the pre-launch setup fixed it. Effects worked, music worked... I do say, once you get the game working properly it is indeed quite nice and well made.

So 2GB FAT16 partitions and DOS 6.22 for your 486 builds. Don't be greedy!

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 245 of 332, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dos clones had big problems with FAT32 and games (detail for other nice DR-Dos are here: https://sheet.zohopublic.com/sheet/published/ … 18fd20113524552 its main problem why i dont use, otherwise it has nice multitasking).. but im not aware some problems on MS-Dos.. Are you sure than on same machine with FAT32 is not working?

Maybe there is some program which are emulation FAT16 environment on FAT32 or something like that.. it could be only some not enough freespace overflow problem, but still dont understand how it is connected with Sound effects, maybe its problem in some dos sound driver, library.

Otherwise maybe some local ASM mages can make a patch for game.

In know that this game is super famous on Amiga, i even dont know if Dos port is good? I never had this game legend.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 246 of 332, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2021-12-13, 00:21:
Dos clones had big problems with FAT32 and games (detail for other nice DR-Dos are here: https://sheet.zohopublic.com/sheet/publ […]
Show full quote

Dos clones had big problems with FAT32 and games (detail for other nice DR-Dos are here: https://sheet.zohopublic.com/sheet/published/ … 18fd20113524552 its main problem why i dont use, otherwise it has nice multitasking).. but im not aware some problems on MS-Dos.. Are you sure than on same machine with FAT32 is not working?

Maybe there is some program which are emulation FAT16 environment on FAT32 or something like that.. it could be only some not enough freespace overflow problem, but still dont understand how it is connected with Sound effects, maybe its problem in some dos sound driver, library.

Otherwise maybe some local ASM mages can make a patch for game.

In know that this game is super famous on Amiga, i even dont know if Dos port is good? I never had this game legend.

I can attempt to transplant it to my FAT32 drive and test again, now that I have the settings saved in the directory, but it will be some time before that happens, because I trashed my FAT32 partition on my spinning rust today accidentally and I would like to try and recover it rather than delete it.

Either way, I learned my lesson. FAT16, DOS 6.22, keep it simple. I have other machines with bigger, better hardware for later retro software.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 247 of 332, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you can try running setup in DOSBox and save it, then copying to the real machine. It's a little inconvenient but maybe works.😁

Reply 248 of 332, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can keep FAT16 partition along side of FAT32, but even than FAT16 is not good thing, even some 486 games are quite big and have multiple 2GB partitions sucks..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 249 of 332, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, i'm trying to get dos sound working on my sony vaio picturebook c1 with Yamaha YMF754B DS-1S. Under dos i have fm music but no digital sound. I've tried DS-XG PCI configuration utility but no luck. I also have some additional file called ymfieq.exe and after trying some numbers i found that soundcard is sitting on IRQ 9, now it tells me that YMF754 found. IRQ was changed into 9. After that, in setup, i have 16 sound + fm, but 8 bit sound. Don't understand what to do now...

Under windows 98 VXD drivers are not working. And with WMD drivers i also don't have sound in dos games, but have general midi 😀

I wanted to test irq 9 in games but faced that doom and duke just don't allow setting irq to this value.

Reply 250 of 332, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vorob wrote on 2022-03-19, 21:48:

I wanted to test irq 9 in games but faced that doom and duke just don't allow setting irq to this value.

In this case swapirq tool may help.

I have no Idea why some laptops with YMF cards works properly only after first restart (pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del), here mine Toshiba 2805-S200 with YMF754B-R chip & setupds.exe version 3.16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tubG37haY

Attachments

• Filename
    SWAPIRQ.zip
    File size
    38.67 KiB
    Downloads
    73 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 251 of 332, by starbond6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Boy I'm glad this thread exists. Maybe one of you could finally help me
I have a 440EX motherboard with a ymf740 onboard soundchip, which is nice because it works with setupds to route to ISA for dos games. I get TERRIBLE crackling/static/loud noises all the time no matter if I'm playing midi or wave/mp3 files. And the same if I'm in windows or DOS. I have no idea what could be causing this, as I know many many years ago this computer did not have this issue.

Secondly, I have a PCI YMF724 soundcard, which I'm using to see if the crackling stops, but I cannot for the life of me, turn off onboard audio without also stopping the PCI card from working. And if I leave onboard audio on, Windows keeps trying set up the onboard 740 instead of the PCI 724! The motherboard DOES have a pc/pci pad, on it, and the card has the header for it, so if i could get the PCI card to work i would solder in the header on the mobo and use the card as the dedicated dos sound.

Reply 252 of 332, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My bet is that there are some capacitors that need to be replaced on the motherboard to fix the static/crackling/popping. Either that or the power supply is putting out really dirty power. Is it the same power supply it has always had or have you replaced it with a good quality, new power supply?

If it is the old power supply, bad capacitors could be causing at least part of the issue with the onboard sound.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 253 of 332, by starbond6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The power supply is not original but its likely from the same time period, a 250W output. I was also thinking capacitors, as I replaced seven 2200uf ones which turned out to have no effect, but now there are two SMD capacitors that I have ordered to resolder in. If the power supply is putting out dirty power, is there anything that can be done for it other than replacing the whole thing?
https://imgur.com/a/ev9HkTD

A small development, but not too rewarding, I found that by installing a clean version of windows while leaving the onboard audio disabled DID get it to detect the 724 sound card for a little while then suddenly nothing. Its as if the PCI slots never existed. Windows doesn't detect them at all. Update: It seems the mobo pci slot is VERY VERY PICKY about the exact angle the card sits in the slot. If it leans ever so slightly one way or another, boom its like it was never there at all.

Reply 254 of 332, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, i'm trying to get dos sound working on my sony vaio picturebook c1 with Yamaha YMF754B DS-1S. Under dos i have fm music but no digital sound. I've tried DS-XG PCI configuration utility but no luck. I also have some additional file called ymfieq.exe and after trying some numbers i found that soundcard is sitting on IRQ 9, now it tells me that YMF754 found. IRQ was changed into 9. After that, in setup, i have 16 sound + fm, but 8 bit sound. Don't understand what to do now...

Under windows 98 VXD drivers are not working. And with WMD drivers i also don't have sound in dos games, but have general midi 😀

Hey I use YMFIRQ 9 and it succeeded, what the IQR mode you use in SETUPDS, Have you tried the "S-IRQ" mode?

BTW the IRQ 9 is not SB IRQ, it is for the PCI sound card itself, you can just set the SB irq (5 or 7 usually) in SETUPDS and set SOUNDBLASTER with I5 or I7 at the same time.

Reply 255 of 332, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I read this thread, but I did not find a clear answer to the question. Can anyone suggest?
Will the Yamaha 754 be like this:

17ec89f30d4db38b0cb1657ba33941d26090fc30.jpgd7b98ac78017c69f5f3b76ba1a13a585514b4e2f.jpg

work on motherboards of the old 8 generation Intel (81 chipsets and higher) under Haswell, with an onboard ITE PCI-e > PCI bridge, under Windows XP and Windows 98?

"Work" - in the sense that at least just play MP3 sound from the speakers under Windows, without relying on any advanced features. In the most basic version.

Reply 256 of 332, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98+XP native are not problem, problems are with Dos.

Reply 257 of 332, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2022-06-28, 22:26:

Hey I use YMFIRQ 9 and it succeeded, what the IQR mode you use in SETUPDS, Have you tried the "S-IRQ" mode?

BTW the IRQ 9 is not SB IRQ, it is for the PCI sound card itself, you can just set the SB irq (5 or 7 usually) in SETUPDS and set SOUNDBLASTER with I5 or I7 at the same time.

Sadly it’s grey in settings… I’ve got fm music under dos, but no sound. You have the same laptop?

C3719248-ADA4-4A91-BA7A-7617C9AF6480.jpeg
Filename
C3719248-ADA4-4A91-BA7A-7617C9AF6480.jpeg
File size
203.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
5DDD72A4-B724-4BBC-853D-11785662DBAE.jpeg
Filename
5DDD72A4-B724-4BBC-853D-11785662DBAE.jpeg
File size
198.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 258 of 332, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2022-07-25, 15:47:

Sadly it’s grey in settings… I’ve got fm music under dos, but no sound. You have the same laptop?

Mine is a VAIO PCG-SR17. I think those sound hardware spec are not different. Though I have a different SUBSYSTEM ID (bottom right) from yours.
Can you try check you DS.INI located in your SETUPDS folder, and see INTAIRQ=9? It should be 9.

I ran YMFIRQ 9 each time before setupds, however sometime the machine freezes, so I don't run it now, only running setupds. and I found setupds can run without YMFIRQ. It's probably only needed for the first time.

Reply 259 of 332, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

vorob, as I wrote before in this thread, setupds.exe version 3.16 preferable for YMF754 and version 3.11 for YMF744.
Using wrong version easy could makes grey settings issue. So make sure you use v3.16 with your YMF754.

In rare cases, by some reason, laptops with YMF sound detects by setupds properly only after warm reboot (using ctrl+alt+del):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VixxrL7_D14

Here my DS.INI for Toshiba laptop (with INTAIRQ 11, but it let me use IRQ5 for SB):

Spoiler

LEGEN=1
SBIO=0
SBIRQ=0
SBDMA=1
MPUIO=0
MPUIRQ=0
JOYIO=4
INTAIRQ=11
IRQMODE=2
DMAMODE=1
FIRSTTRY=0