VOGONS

Some eBay sellers are assholes

Topic actions

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sent an offer on an item and the seller made a counter offer. Then I asked some follow-up questions about the firmware version, etc., and explained that I'm looking for a specific model. He checked for me (very kind) and I confirmed that this is what I was looking for. Then he made a new offer that was higher than the last.

Confirmed this is what I wanted. Then raised the price. Asshole.

I wouldn't buy it without knowing this information, so I had to ask either way. But I wasn't expecting him to raise the price.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-04-30, 00:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 81, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He's already asking more than I want to spend.

There is another seller that is convinced that this item is worth three times as much. I sent him photos of sold listings at the correct price to justify my offer and he countered with listings that matched his exorbitant price... of completely different models.

Some sellers are absolutely clueless as well. He says that he already sold one at that price. There are plenty of other listings and I don't believe him.

Reply 3 of 81, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's definitely a dick move. But at least you know not to deal with that particular seller if that's the kind of sh!t they're going to pull.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 81, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well all you have to do is move on, wait for another opportunity. The free market dictates sellers can ask whatever insane price they like for their stuff. That also means it can sit for years unsold because the price is too high and nobody is willing to pay it. The real value of anything is only worth what somebody else is willing to give you for it, not what previous items have sold for or what other items are currently listed at.

As far as this particular instance, stick to your price and if the seller rejects it, try again a week later. Enough time goes by the offer will probably start to look pretty good. Then you can lower your offer, 🤣.

Reply 6 of 81, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brawndo wrote on 2022-04-30, 00:59:

As far as this particular instance, stick to your price and if the seller rejects it, try again a week later. Enough time goes by the offer will probably start to look pretty good. Then you can lower your offer, lol.

I like this logic! Too bad one of the hardest parts of retro tech is being patient and waiting for that hopefully perfect listing. My watch list grows every week :D and I've had my share of icky sellers and bad buys too...

Reply 7 of 81, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put in an offer on a listing this week, and the seller counter offered the full asking price. It was cheap anyway, but not something I needed that badly 😀

I've been mostly buying DVDs and Blu Rays lately, I already have far too much computer hardware in my small house 😀 And for movies and box sets, it's always cheaper if I'm selective and don't buy until some unsuspecting seller forgets to check what their wares are worth (moreso than with hardware).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8 of 81, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar experience on my local classifieds site.

A guy was selling a bunch of GPUs, including an FX5900, but had no photos of that card in the listing. When I asked to see some pics, he demanded more money. I said that I might consider it if he would test the card to show me that it was fully operational. For that, I simply wanted him to run a few rounds of 3DMark 2003 and check for artifacts. He said that I was being "too demanding" and that other people buy this "old junk" without a fuss. Needless to say, I didn't get that card.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 81, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-30, 02:09:

I put in an offer on a listing this week, and the seller counter offered the full asking price. It was cheap anyway, but not something I needed that badly 😀

There is an auction up that I submitted an offer for and the seller countered with an amount MORE than the starting price! I asked him about this and he said that he has already gotten a lot of offers higher than the starting price.

The item is under $30 and doesn't have any bids.

Reply 10 of 81, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(X) Some eBay sellers
(O) Some human beings

Once a guy asked me about a laptop under a cheaper desktop I advertised. I told him the laptop cost more and politely reminded him that questions regarding to that laptop should be asked under the respective item. He cursed me with foul words and disappeared. 🙄

Reply 11 of 81, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sold a laptop once that was clearly labeled as having the dead battery removed to save on shipping.

Upon receipt, the buyer opened a problem case and said that the laptop doesn't charge. I had to refund the item, shipping, and pay for return shipping. I tried to submit an appeal, but eBay denied it.

Reply 12 of 81, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-04-30, 02:13:

I had a similar experience on my local classifieds site.

A guy was selling a bunch of GPUs, including an FX5900, but had no photos of that card in the listing. When I asked to see some pics, he demanded more money. I said that I might consider it if he would test the card to show me that it was fully operational. For that, I simply wanted him to run a few rounds of 3DMark 2003 and check for artifacts. He said that I was being "too demanding" and that other people buy this "old junk" without a fuss. Needless to say, I didn't get that card.

Ppl like that I wanna say "I highly value your time, @ say $120 an hour, but if the item isn't worth one picture that takes less than a minute, my offer is $2."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 81, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Local classifieds are extremely risky for some purchases compared to eBay.

I bought some speakers from a classified ad and found that it was missing the stand for one of them. The seller called me a liar, said that his friend was a cop and that he would call the police if I set foot on his property.

Reply 14 of 81, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-30, 03:01:

An exception is when the seller is nearby and willing to allow you inspecting the item before transaction completed. Just make sure to find a well-lit, security camera-equipped location e.g. transportation hub, fast food chain, convenience store, etc.

Reply 15 of 81, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2022-04-30, 03:39:
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-30, 03:01:

An exception is when the seller is nearby and willing to allow you inspecting the item before transaction completed. Just make sure to find a well-lit, security camera-equipped location e.g. transportation hub, fast food chain, convenience store, etc.

Meeting in a public place is always best.

Second best is in front of someone's property . If I need to go inside someone's property, I always have someone I know with me .

Also, recording audio/video in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy may not require two party consent in one's given jurisdiction (checking with a knowledgeable lawyer beforehand is always recommended) and may afford an extra level of protection against surprises if something "bad" happens and one needs to involve the courts .

Reply 16 of 81, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it is free market and it is only matter of how much people are willing to pay for things. It does not make someone an asshole if they ask for prices higher than what "normal" price is considered to be. It is just matter of if he manages to sell it at that price or not.

I do know it makes buyer upset if he cant get something at the price he wants to pay, but I dont think asking for higher prices makes anyone an asshole. Assholes are those who try to scam you by selling something fake or otherwise not send you what they claim to be selling.

Reply 17 of 81, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-30, 02:45:

I sold a laptop once that was clearly labeled as having the dead battery removed to save on shipping.

Upon receipt, the buyer opened a problem case and said that the laptop doesn't charge. I had to refund the item, shipping, and pay for return shipping. I tried to submit an appeal, but eBay denied it.

What the hell? You sell an item with correct description, buyer either didn't read it or understand it and eBay sides with them? Jeez!

Some time ago I noticed I can't sell anything on eBay anymore, when I try to create a listing the site just errors out. Twice I asked support to help, on the first try I just got an automatic bs reply and then silence, on the second didn't get even that. But if the protection they offer for sellers is like that can't say I'd be in a hurry to sell anything there anyway.

Oh, and also currently dealing with one of those sellers myself, might get a full refund through eBay without asking them to step in but if I get the return shipping fee back without forcing the matter through PayPal I'll be amazed.

Reply 18 of 81, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've pretty much stopped bothering to get refunds through eBay itself, if I cant resolve the issue with the seller then I just file an issue with Paypal direct, Paypal answers to the Credit companies and Banks directly so they generally wont fuck you around half as much as eBay itself will if you have clear evidence.

If worst comes to worst then you can always talk to your banks and CC directly but so far for me it has not come to that, that said I also dont sell via eBay either due to their shitty handling and how easy ti is for buyers to simply fuck sellers over.

Reply 19 of 81, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never pay too much for an item that is sold as untested and without warranty/possibility of return. In general avoid eBay as it's too expensive. Don't get fixed on particular hardware as then you will have to pay the premium price. When buying on eBay I pay by Paypal for additional buyer's protection.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS