VOGONS

Heatsink glue for Pentium 233MMX?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This post has been around for a while now but by chance I ran into the same problem, I myself broke the socket 7 heatsink retention mechanism. It turns out that socket 7 and socket 370 are almost the same internally so it occurred to me to disassemble a Socket 370 and transplant the necessary part to the motherboard that had the broken socket 7, the internal difference of the socket 370 is that it lacks the hole for a pin that is present in the socket 7 but it is easy clear the missing hole.
I think this is the easiest fix for this problem, no need to desolder an solder a new socket.

Attachments

Reply 21 of 27, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hoping, Ingenious ... but That's just Evil 😁

Makes me wonder though what would happen, a socket370 cpu on a socket7 mb. Which will fry first?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 23 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the pins are all lined up you may be able to push it back on. In locked position the pins hold the whole assembly stronger to the motherboard with a cpu installed.

It doesn’t take much force to pull those pins out individually.

Btw, not all sockets use the same style pins/design internally.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 25 of 27, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks,that can always hapen but it's not the case and the board is very stable, it's the DFI I'm using in my actual project.
I shared this trick because I've thought that a lot of users can't desolder and solder a new socket, the only important steeps, are, protect the board to prebent scratches when lifting the socket and look for a 370 socket with the same kind of lever because that may indicate that it is made by the same bran and so it may be very similar internally.
I think that a socket 462 may also be compatible because the pins spacing is the same but didn't try it and it is missing more pin holes than the 370.

Reply 26 of 27, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2022-05-03, 14:49:

Thanks,that can always hapen but it's not the case and the board is very stable, it's the DFI I'm using in my actual project.
I shared this trick because I've thought that a lot of users can't desolder and solder a new socket, the only important steeps, are, protect the board to prebent scratches when lifting the socket and look for a 370 socket with the same kind of lever because that may indicate that it is made by the same bran and so it may be very similar internally.
I think that a socket 462 may also be compatible because the pins spacing is the same but didn't try it and it is missing more pin holes than the 370.

considering you're not the original thread starter, that comment wasn't about your board.
even funnier is that you made the exact remark about the original thread starters photo of the mainboard, more than a month ago, yet idan182 has since then not commented anymore on this thread.
typical confusion though, no worries 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port