Some eBay sellers are assholes

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 81, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2022-05-03, 03:16:

that doesn't help me though, I still lose out of even having a chance of getting it.

You win some, you lose some .

Admittedly, there's not much to be done about greedy assholes (other than reporting them), they will get their comeuppance some day and, if we're all lucky, they'll learn something along the way and move on from being assholes.

The way I see it, if you were about to deal with an asshole, anybody who saves you from it is actually doing you a favor .

There will always be other opportunities, there are still good people left on the Internet .

Best of luck!

Reply 63 of 81, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-05-03, 04:59:

Admittedly, there's not much to be done about greedy *** (other than reporting them), they will get their comeuppance some day and, if we're all lucky, they'll learn something along the way and move on from being assholes.

ebay really doesn't care though ^^ there's not even categories for reporting stuff like that, as long as it's not something that could get them into trouble (illegal items) it doesn't matter to them.

and the nice thing about ebay is that you don't really have to deal with people at all, just click buy, pay and wait for the item to arrive.

another thing that happened to me recently was, I bought a nice VLB card along some other stuff from the same seller I wasn't as keen on as that one VLB card... when I got it, everything was there except that VLB card, instead there was a very nonspecial Vibra sound card in addition to the rest... told the seller, said I really wanted that one card though, they seemed nice and said they'll resend the card... I was glad they seemed to still have it and it didn't get mixed up in another package... that was a few weeks ago, and now they don't reply anymore.

Reply 64 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you have a month to file a claim with ebay. do it even if you want to keep the items. odds are either the seller or ebay will refund you without shipping the items back. if the seller actually ponies up the return shipping label, just throw it away and cancel (or better yet let expire) the case, keep the items and leave non-specific negative feedback (vague comments like 'poor seller' can NEVER be removed by ebay).

if anything, opening the case just returns some of the frustration the seller 'sold' to you back to them.

Reply 66 of 81, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Y'all are only mentioning what sounds to me like mildly annoying sellers.

I had one seller send an old laptop in a flat rate box with pretty much no packing material.

When it arrived, the plastic was, of course, broken way beyond repair.

I tried to talk to them about it before submitting a ticket, but they then claimed that once it left their hands it wasn't their problem.

Then they tried claiming that I only bought it to take parts from it and then return it.

Then they started getting really nasty.

EBay of course sided with me and forced a return.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 67 of 81, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-03, 14:28:
Y'all are only mentioning what sounds to me like mildly annoying sellers. […]
Show full quote

Y'all are only mentioning what sounds to me like mildly annoying sellers.

I had one seller send an old laptop in a flat rate box with pretty much no packing material.

When it arrived, the plastic was, of course, broken way beyond repair.

I tried to talk to them about it before submitting a ticket, but they then claimed that once it left their hands it wasn't their problem.

Then they tried claiming that I only bought it to take parts from it and then return it.

Then they started getting really nasty.

EBay of course sided with me and forced a return.

Being an asshole is one thing, but that guy was an idiot to boot. If he had been diligent enough to pack decently, nobody would have needed to learn that he was both a self-defeating idiot and an asshole.

I wonder if he learned something from the experience or if he just blames you and Ebay, actually sees himself as a faultless victim and is now one step closer to believing the world was always out to get him.

Is asshole psychology a branch of proctology? Asking for a friend. 😉

Reply 68 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

seller not acknowledging that the shipping carrier is THEIR 'agent' for delivering the item into your hands (not just your doorstep) sounds like a common misconception.

if the package gets swiped off my doorstep before i get a chance to open the door it's not my problem. agency in the law is just that. until it physically touches my hands it is still the seller's property and they bear the loss as the sale has not technically been completed yet. of course the seller can try claiming against their own shipping carrier, but that is none of my affair.

get your money back and tell the seller to get insurance or signature confirmation next time to protect THEIR interests.

Reply 69 of 81, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stanwebber wrote on 2022-05-03, 15:03:

if the package gets swiped off my doorstep before i get a chance to open the door it's not my problem. agency in the law is just that. until it physically touches my hands it is still the seller's property and they bear the loss as the sale has not technically been completed yet.

Would this not depend on whether something is shipped FOB Shipping Point versus FOB Destination?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 70 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

on ebay there is no way for the buyer to pay the shipping carrier directly. the shipping carrier is always the seller's agent since they choose, contract and pay for their services. in essence, the sellers name is on the contract of lading--the seller owns the merchandise while it is in transit.

now outside of ebay the buyer can choose, contract and pay a shipping carrier directly. in that circumstance the shipper is now acting as agent for the buyer and can accept possession on behalf of the buyer. the sale is complete once the seller delivers the merchandise into the hands of the buyer, or the buyer's agent. the buyer's name is the one on the shipping contract now--the buyer has possession (thru agency) and ownership of the merchandise in the event of a claim for loss.

Last edited by stanwebber on 2022-05-03, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 72 of 81, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stanwebber wrote on 2022-05-03, 16:56:

on ebay there is no way for the buyer to pay the shipping carrier directly. the shipping carrier is always the seller's agent since they choose, contract and pay for their services. in essence, the sellers name is on the contract of lading--the seller owns the merchandise.

depends, unfortunately I don't live in a country with a vivid retro market, so I have to order elsewhere and most people don't ship here and if they do it's too expensive, so I use forward shipping, so basically it's my responsibility once it's on it's second journey towards me... that had already screwed me over once before too 🙁

Reply 73 of 81, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to post here once, drop a hot-take, and likely leave, never to return. I also only read the first post and no others, so if I'm beating a dead horse....

Ebay, is not your friend. The sellers are not there to give you a hand-job after a hard day's work. People sell on ebay to make MONEY. To expect sellers to be your friend is asinine (and vise-versa). If you want a different experience, I suggest a different website entirely. If I can get an extra $20 for a special revision for a SS7 board. I WILL. Not because i'm greedy or i'm trying to pull one over on you. But because there is a 99.999% chance I'm selling something to buy something else, and the less 'new' money I put into this hobby, the better I feel.

just because someone puts their wellbeing over yours, does not make them an asshole. THAT SAID... I can empathize with your frustration with the price change. But I'd ask the following. If it WASNT the revision you are looking for, would you have expected a cheaper price? Would that not have been "asshole behavior" to the seller?

*smokebomb*

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 74 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-05-03, 17:02:

When discussing legal matters keep in mind this is an international forum and laws may vary depending on location and jurisdiction.

yeah, initially i tried to keep the language as academic as possible. what your legal rights are and what redress is legally feasible are rarely ever aligned.

i suppose if you had unlimited funds and a self loathing vindictive streak you could sue ebay in the jurisdiction where they are headquartered (us standard of law would apply) no matter where you are in the world since they are directly acting as the seller's agent.

it's all really academic anyway since ebay's contract lawyers are not dumb...the ebay resolution center is set up to overwhelmingly favor buyers who have already agreed to waive their legal redress in the courts in favor of arbitration in the ebay user agreement. breaking that arbitration agreement would require something tantamount to criminal illegality from ebay.

Reply 75 of 81, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2022-05-03, 17:14:

just because someone puts their wellbeing over yours, does not make them an asshole.

Greed (desire for optimal profit) alone does not an asshole make, IMHO . Greed (desire for optimal profit) that takes precedence over common courtesy, ethics or applicable law, does, again IMHO .

luckybob wrote on 2022-05-03, 17:14:

THAT SAID... I can empathize with your frustration with the price change. But I'd ask the following. If it WASNT the revision you are looking for, would you have expected a cheaper price? Would that not have been "asshole behavior" to the seller?

*smokebomb*

IMHO, in general terms, expecting a cheaper price in such a case would fall under "assholery", but asking/offering a lower one might not be (depends on context). Respectful communication is never a bad thing.

Last edited by darry on 2022-05-03, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 76 of 81, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stanwebber wrote on 2022-05-03, 15:03:

seller not acknowledging that the shipping carrier is THEIR 'agent' for delivering the item into your hands (not just your doorstep) sounds like a common misconception.

if the package gets swiped off my doorstep before i get a chance to open the door it's not my problem. agency in the law is just that. until it physically touches my hands it is still the seller's property and they bear the loss as the sale has not technically been completed yet. of course the seller can try claiming against their own shipping carrier, but that is none of my affair.

get your money back and tell the seller to get insurance or signature confirmation next time to protect THEIR interests.

Not disagreeing, but if a sellers offers insured shipping and/or a signature as an extra cost option, but the buyer decides against, it does change the dynamic slightly, IMHO .

Also, if the shipper uses obviously inadequate shipping/packing material, that is all on the seller . A seller putting a collectible ceramic plate in a plain unpadded manila envelope and dropping it off at the post office for shipping would be an extreme example .

Reply 77 of 81, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tell the seller to get insurance or signature confirmation next time to protect THEIR interest

Just my personal experience with this a t work, we had one UPS driver that left deliveries outside in the parking lot and entered the managers name as the person receiving the shipment.
That could be easily done with a home delivery, just use the name on the label.
We lost some deliveries this way.

Reply 78 of 81, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tannerstevo wrote:

Just my personal experience with this a t work, we had one UPS driver that left deliveries outside in the parking lot and entered the managers name as the person receiving the shipment.

I had a package stolen at my apartment complex once; packages are left on shelves outside the main office and anyone can take them. The thieves were a bunch of kids and I actually walked past them on the sidewalk as they were carrying boxes away, as I had just received the delivery notification and was heading to the office to pick it up.

Despite it not being eBay's fault, the seller got to keep their money and I was issued a full refund. I was surprised how well they handled it. They did require that I submit a copy of the police report, along with the name and number of the officer assigned to the case and his badge number.

I'm not certain that this incident falls under the buyer protection, but I felt taken care of. I wasn't expecting to get my money back at all, so it was all very stressful.

Reply 79 of 81, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-03, 22:38:
I had a package stolen at my apartment complex once; packages are left on shelves outside the main office and anyone can take th […]
Show full quote
tannerstevo wrote:

I had a package stolen at my apartment complex once; packages are left on shelves outside the main office and anyone can take them. The thieves were a bunch of kids and I actually walked past them on the sidewalk as they were carrying boxes away, as I had just received the delivery notification and was heading to the office to pick it up.

Despite it not being eBay's fault, the seller got to keep their money and I was issued a full refund. I was surprised how well they handled it. They did require that I submit a copy of the police report, along with the name and number of the officer assigned to the case and his badge number.

I'm not certain that this incident falls under the buyer protection, but I felt taken care of. I wasn't expecting to get my money back at all, so it was all very stressful.

glad it worked out for you.