User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2022-05-03, 16:49:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125010729521 […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-03, 15:51:

Off to find a decent PCI-X network card for it to add extra networking options. (a gigabit network card would be pretty awesome for it)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125010729521

those cards are "BIS" as the young people say. reference: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BiS

I ONLY use Intel cards, the drivers ALWAYS work. The exception is 10/00 and I use 3com or intel.

not having to faff about with drivers is worth the extra cash.

Thanks for the link, I’ll have to find a seller that ships to Australia.

Reply 44341 of 52668, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the price of a pint of beer I bought these (seller's photo and description)

Intel® Pentium® 4 220/512
Intel® Pentium® 3 1000/256/133
AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

I have a pin straightening session ahead! 😀

And I have bought yet another ThinkPad (R50e) - looks like a Celeron/Pentium M but I have no info on it yet!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    185.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44342 of 52668, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-03, 20:09:
For the price of a pint of beer I bought these (seller's photo and description) […]
Show full quote

AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

And I have bought yet another ThinkPad (R50e) - looks like a Celeron/Pentium M but I have no info on it yet!

Is Socket A and coppermine P3 already a thing? I'm getting them all the time (for free, I wouldn't pay for them, I just don't have a heart to allow them go to trash any longer, few years ago we were trashing loads of them at work), but It wouldn't really cross my mind to even show people that I got some because they are so abudant and common... I don't really treat them as a vintage hardware and I didn't really liked these platforms when they were released... What's general opinion about them?

Last edited by HanJammer on 2022-05-03, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44343 of 52668, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-05-03, 20:57:
For the price of a pint of beer I bought these (seller's photo and description) […]
Show full quote

AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

Is Socket A and coppermine P3 already a thing? I'm getting them all the time (for free, I wouldn't pay for them, I just don't have a heart to allow them go to trash any longer, few years ago we were trashing loads of them at work), but It wouldn't really cross my mind to even show people that I got some because they are so abudant and common... I don't really treat them as a vintage hardware and I didn't really like these platforms when they were released... What's general opinion about them?

I think of anything from before 1 GHz was achieved as retro, but to call it interesting and vintage, I'd be looking at 486 and earlier. Sockets 370 and A are still extremely common (heck, even socket 7 is common as mud!)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 44344 of 52668, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-05-03, 21:01:

I think of anything from before 1 GHz was achieved as retro, but to call it interesting and vintage, I'd be looking at 486 and earlier. Sockets 370 and A are still extremely common (heck, even socket 7 is common as mud!)

Well, there are some interesting Socket 7 CPUs (P233MMX which is great CPU to have, K5 PR133/166/200, and some other less common chips) - interesting era because it wasn't limited to intel and AMD (although for S370 there were VIA and Cyrix (although I'm not quite sure about it) chips). I don't really like later 486s (DX4/Am486DX4/5x86 and so on) because these were poor man's Pentium replacements from my point of view, so there is no point using them now, when S5/7 CPUs are readly available.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44345 of 52668, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

Is Socket A and coppermine P3 already a thing? I'm getting them all the time (for free, I wouldn't pay for them, I just don't have a heart to allow them go to trash any longer, few years ago we were trashing loads of them at work), but It wouldn't really cross my mind to even show people that I got some because they are so abudant and common... I don't really treat them as a vintage hardware and I didn't really liked these platforms when they were released... What's general opinion about them?

I have no current plans to use them, just adding to the collection haha 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44346 of 52668, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had R50 series once, it is all intergrated video means there's no way to option external GPU and limited choices of CPUs on this thing. I ran into this issue so I dumped it.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 44348 of 52668, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pancakepuppy wrote on 2022-05-03, 17:25:
luckybob wrote on 2022-05-03, 16:49:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125010729521 […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-03, 15:51:

Off to find a decent PCI-X network card for it to add extra networking options. (a gigabit network card would be pretty awesome for it)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125010729521

those cards are "BIS" as the young people say. reference: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BiS

I ONLY use Intel cards, the drivers ALWAYS work. The exception is 10/00 and I use 3com or intel.

not having to faff about with drivers is worth the extra cash.

PRO/1000 T is regular old 64-bit PCI. If one wants PCI-X, search for the PRO/1000 XT (single port) or PRO/1000 MT (dual port)

I located a local seller with the Quad Port PRO/1000 MT, 4 gigabit ports will be very nice !

Reply 44349 of 52668, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote:

I located a local seller with the Quad Port PRO/1000 MT, 4 gigabit ports will be very nice !

Now find a gig switch with proper support for LAGG. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation )

^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 44350 of 52668, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2022-05-04, 05:59:
TrashPanda wrote:

Now find a gig switch with proper support for LAGG. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation )

^.^

Indeed !

Might grab a few spare 1 port gigabit cards to use in the machines that dont have native 1g support, tho I doubt DOS or Win 3.1 would support such cards 🤣

Reply 44351 of 52668, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

I hope those pins will bend back just fine for you. I found Socket 7 CPUs to have pins that bend back much easier without breaking.

Would have been nice if some kind of adapter existed for such laptop CPUs, some of the newer ones are really nice. Afaicr s754 was the last socket for which laptop CPUs could be used in desktop boards, if one takes some extra precautions for correct CPU HSF mounting.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2022-05-04, 08:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44352 of 52668, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

You have no idea what the general opinion is about Coppermine and even Athlon XP even though you've been a member on this very forum for close to 3 years?
How can you not know?? 😮

Report spammers here!

Reply 44353 of 52668, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

Is Socket A and coppermine P3 already a thing? I'm getting them all the time (for free, I wouldn't pay for them, I just don't have a heart to allow them go to trash any longer, few years ago we were trashing loads of them at work), but It wouldn't really cross my mind to even show people that I got some because they are so abudant and common... I don't really treat them as a vintage hardware and I didn't really like these platforms when they were released... What's general opinion about them?

You mean online? Because here in The Netherlands sA and s370 have been pretty much extinct in the wild for at least since before covid even.
Usually the oldest I find while thrifting is usually LGA775 (the non-core2 compatible one that is). And that is if I find anything at all since PC stuff isn't what it used to be anymore here, unfortunately 😒

Report spammers here!

Reply 44354 of 52668, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-04, 08:40:

You mean online? Because here in The Netherlands sA and s370 have been pretty much extinct in the wild for at least since before covid even.
Usually the oldest I find while thrifting is usually LGA775 (the non-core2 compatible one that is). And that is if I find anything at all since PC stuff isn't what it used to be anymore here, unfortunately 😒

Same holds true here in Germany. Almost impossible to find s7 / s370 / sA. Even s478 started to fade out in the last 1-2 years. Still available but more and more decreasing.

Reply 44355 of 52668, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-04, 08:51:

Same holds true here in Germany. Almost impossible to find s7 / s370 / sA. Even s478 started to fade out in the last 1-2 years. Still available but more and more decreasing.

I too have a hard time considering anything this side of the year 2000 as "retro" and Athlons in particular since those are the platform I probably did most contemporary tinkering with - including quite some on 5+ year old systems that were still considered ok for basic use by some.

Good reason why S370 and A feel retro: SPGA package. Still some fins to bend. Mixed expansion ports. P-ATA.

I'd say they've definitely reached the "need to actually buy" stage of rareness, but nothing more.

Good reason why S7 is much more retro: Apart from exotics in S370, last platform to combine AMD and Intel etc. Last platform mainly AT.

Yet, the "80486": Last chip with a simple number and no marketing brand, no intel inside... last all-ISA platform.

I like jumpers.

Reply 44356 of 52668, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess im a bit odd, I have little interest in anything older than a Pentium, and my lack of interest isn't because of the CPUs.

Its the lack of integrated systems on the older systems that I simply have no desire to revisit, I have several Pentium class setups I can use that are capable of running at XT speeds if I really need to run software that old and if I really need to then I do have a SBC 386 that I could use. (Now that I think about it, I have no idea if it even still works)

I would make an exception here .. a monochrome amber or green XT would be nice to have around, same for a CGA/EGA 286, they are rather unique due to the display adaptor and you can certainly make a case for using one with software that doesnt support VGA/Protected Mode. But if the software does support VGA and will run on a 386/486 then really a socket 7 Pentium/K5/K6 would work just as well if not better while providing integrated IO and you can even slow these CPUs down by simply disabling cache.

Socket 370/462 to me are retro setups, I consider anything pre SATA to fit that name perfectly.

Reply 44357 of 52668, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-04, 09:00:
I too have a hard time considering anything this side of the year 2000 as "retro" and Athlons in particular since those are the […]
Show full quote

I too have a hard time considering anything this side of the year 2000 as "retro" and Athlons in particular since those are the platform I probably did most contemporary tinkering with - including quite some on 5+ year old systems that were still considered ok for basic use by some.

Good reason why S370 and A feel retro: SPGA package. Still some fins to bend. Mixed expansion ports. P-ATA.

I'd say they've definitely reached the "need to actually buy" stage of rareness, but nothing more.

Good reason why S7 is much more retro: Apart from exotics in S370, last platform to combine AMD and Intel etc. Last platform mainly AT.

Yet, the "80486": Last chip with a simple number and no marketing brand, no intel inside... last all-ISA platform.

To clarify my previous post - vintage stuff (vintage would be a correct word here, unlike "retro", because retro means items that are modern, made recently, just with a design or functionality inspired by old stuff - ie. A500 Mini) has pretty strict/clear definition - 20 years or older, so technically both S370 and SA are vintage, it's just a bit hard to believe because they both feel so recent to me 😉
My only SA platform I keep is MSI K7D Master with dual Athlon MPs. I have several other motherboards and heaps of SA CPUs but I don't really care about them too much... Same applies to S370 - one dual CPU platform (Abit BP6 with Dual Celerons) is all I need... and I don't think I will even play with it in the next 2-3 years...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44358 of 52668, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

AMD Athlon XKDA3000#

For some of us definitely. I started collecting them a while ago. High end stuff (3000+, 3200+, good nf2 boards) tends to be scarce and will get expensive as time goes on. I started collecting skt 478 and 423 stuff as well, despite not being a big fan of the platform. Personally I started considering LGA775 and 754/939 vintage as well, and I plan on getting my hands on the more interesting parts right now while they're cheap and plentiful. Especially late high end parts, like P35 / P45 chipset boards, and LGA775 i865 boards since they have great win98 support and an AGP slot.

Reply 44359 of 52668, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2022-05-04, 10:56:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-04, 09:00:
I too have a hard time considering anything this side of the year 2000 as "retro" and Athlons in particular since those are the […]
Show full quote

To clarify my previous post - vintage stuff (vintage would be a correct word here, unlike "retro", because retro means items that are modern, made recently, just with a design or functionality inspired by old stuff - ie. A500 Mini) has pretty strict/clear definition - 20 years or older, so technically both S370 and SA are vintage, it's just a bit hard to believe because they both feel so recent to me 😉
My only SA platform I keep is MSI K7D Master with dual Athlon MPs. I have several other motherboards and heaps of SA CPUs but I don't really care about them too much... Same applies to S370 - one dual CPU platform (Abit BP6 with Dual Celerons) is all I need... and I don't think I will even play with it in the next 2-3 years...

Technically one could actually consider a retro PC as real retro, since the system itself is actually newly build but inspired by old stuff, often assisted with modern stuff like flash drives (which in itself is not even cutting edge anymore in some regards), floppy simulators and things like reproduction PCBs, but with mostly old items in the mix 😋
I mean if this is not retro, then a 80 year old car with a couple modern reproduction replacement parts and restored paintings can also not be retro 😜

PCs being so modular make it all the more interesting I think 😜

Report spammers here!