Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1680 of 1908, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-08, 10:42:
Now I have all the Call of Duty entries I have any interest in. That is 1-2-MW […]
Show full quote

Now I have all the Call of Duty entries I have any interest in. That is 1-2-MW

IMG_20220408_123009.jpg

Very good condition. The disc is basically brand new.

Edit:
Interesting, the game crashes with a DirectX error whenever I try to change certain settings. Resolution, preferred renderer, positional audio and some other. It has no issues if I change them through the config file and otherwise runs fine.

Hmm I had similar results probably in Cod4MW. Looks like the early IW engine games have had this problem.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1681 of 1908, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-10, 06:45:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-08, 10:42:
Now I have all the Call of Duty entries I have any interest in. That is 1-2-MW […]
Show full quote

Now I have all the Call of Duty entries I have any interest in. That is 1-2-MW

IMG_20220408_123009.jpg

Very good condition. The disc is basically brand new.

Edit:
Interesting, the game crashes with a DirectX error whenever I try to change certain settings. Resolution, preferred renderer, positional audio and some other. It has no issues if I change them through the config file and otherwise runs fine.

Hmm I had similar results probably in Cod4MW. Looks like the early IW engine games have had this problem.

Yeah, I thought about it being some sort of compatibility issue with the 8800GT, but I don't have the same issue with CoD1 and CoD4. Though CoD4 is the same age as the graphics card.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1682 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just picked up Sniper Elite 4 on a Steam sale for $6. It's been on my wishlist for awhile but this time I couldn't resist the 90% off sale. Not sure when I'll play it, probably mid to late summer. It looks and sounds like a game right up my alley (I'm a Wolfenstein fan). I know it doesn't have the supernatural aspect, but WW2, stealth and Nazis is still a fun genre for me.

edit: I installed this today and I'm happy to report it runs at a steady 60fps (vsync enabled) with all settings maxed out on my system. i7-4770, GTX1650 Super, 1080p.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1683 of 1908, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Indy.JPG
Filename
Indy.JPG
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, CD-ROM talkie version. In great condition, only a bit of depression on the box. The second most I've paid for a game at 100€, most being Fallout at 110€. I normally pay 10-40€ for big box games but can go higher for games that are important to me and I do love these LucasArts adventures. Well, most of them, never understood what people saw in The Dig. But the ~$200 eBay prices are madness even to me, maybe with time I can get all the ones I want locally at more tolerable prices. One can hope 😬

Reply 1684 of 1908, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-05-04, 12:38:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, CD-ROM talkie version. In great condition, only a bit of depression on the box. The second most I've paid for a game at 100€, most being Fallout at 110€. I normally pay 10-40€ for big box games but can go higher for games that are important to me and I do love these LucasArts adventures. Well, most of them, never understood what people saw in The Dig. But the ~$200 eBay prices are madness even to me, maybe with time I can get all the ones I want locally at more tolerable prices. One can hope 😬

Nice! One of my favorite games from that era, so many good memories... And it's nice to see that it has everything in the box. I got the 5.25'' floppy version in very good condition years ago (when prices were still somewhat sane), including the Manual and Hint Book but it's missing the quick reference card which annoys me greatly to this day 😀.

Reply 1686 of 1908, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I went to a market. A regular, not a vintage one. I was almost at the end, heavily raining, when a box with a bunch of disks and DVD cases caught my eye. It was mostly trash, but I picked out some stuff for $1.5 each.

IMG_20220505_124105.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220505_124105.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The disks are in flawless condition aside of being a little wet. Sadly all the manuals are lost.

Reply 1687 of 1908, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-05, 11:07:

Today I went to a market. A regular, not a vintage one. I was almost at the end, heavily raining, when a box with a bunch of disks and DVD cases caught my eye. It was mostly trash, but I picked out some stuff for $1.5 each.

IMG_20220505_124105.jpg

The disks are in flawless condition aside of being a little wet. Sadly all the manuals are lost.

Did Warcraft 3 require cd key to install or was it only for battle.net? You might need to "acquire" a key if it needs it to install and it was on the manual unless it's on the case.

Reply 1688 of 1908, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-05-05, 12:51:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-05, 11:07:

IMG_20220505_124105.jpg

Did Warcraft 3 require cd key to install or was it only for battle.net? You might need to "acquire" a key if it needs it to install and it was on the manual unless it's on the case.

It did require a key, but it's not on the (missing) manual, but on a sticker inside the box. The back of the box says it supposed to have a (localized) manual though.
That's actually the only game I've already installed because I wasn't sure if it requires battle.net.

Reply 1689 of 1908, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I certainly feel lucky. Managed to find this in good condition.

EBC87F13-7C88-45D4-8956-BF33B2DEF48E.jpeg
Filename
EBC87F13-7C88-45D4-8956-BF33B2DEF48E.jpeg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It has the manual and the fold out technology tree, but the CD seems to be in a generic jewel case. Is that normal?

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1691 of 1908, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2022-05-10, 00:52:

It has the manual and the fold out technology tree, but the CD seems to be in a generic jewel case. Is that normal?

Looks like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0cmQn9mm4
At the very end there.

Reply 1692 of 1908, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote on 2022-05-10, 13:30:
Looks like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0cmQn9mm4 At the very end there. […]
Show full quote

Looks like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0cmQn9mm4
At the very end there.

Thanks for letting me know:

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1693 of 1908, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did get some boxed games recently, though sadly none of them are the (mostly filled with air) big cardboard boxes.

The pickings aren't great these days, though I am happy that I found 2 copies of Sim City 4 Deluxe 🙂
SC4 has been one of my favorite games and I modded it so much I'm lucky it didn't break too badly 🤣
But I always had just the one disk version and I prefer to have 3 copies of all the games that I really like, and now I do! ^^
Next is a copy of Medieval Total War Viking Invasion (just the expansion pack). Finding these separate expansion packs is always a bit more tricky and for €1 I didn't want to leave it in the box so I brought it home with me 🙂and not only does it come with the booklet (also needed for the code on the back) but it even stilol contains the original registration card! xD
Also got Prince of Persia 3D, no idea about this game but why not.
One game I had never heard of was Pet Racer? Some kind of racing game and apparently it's completely in Dutch? Not many games are in Dutch since Dutch people who don't understand any English are basically science fiction anyway 🤣
Then there's also Moorhuhn Kart XXL. No idea about this but the original Moorhuhn Hunt game was fun back in the day (as was Cow Hunter) though I don't expect much from this one frankly.
Also got another copy of Medieval II Total War (not compatible with the expansion I mentioned earlier btw) and a game called Inca Ball? Not having high expectations but it might be fun to give a try at some point. With a bit of luck it's as moddable as Zuma was but again, I'm not holding my breath on some of these games.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1694 of 1908, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At last I got one of the most influential games of my childhood!

IMG_20220601_140739.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220601_140739.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1695 of 1908, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-06-01, 12:11:

IMG_20220601_140739.jpg

That game was very cool. Graphics were amazing even without 3dfx, but I had more fun with the second game. Those crazy power ups were so much fun. The car from carmageddon 1 was cooler though.

Reply 1696 of 1908, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2022-06-02, 17:58:

IMG_20220601_140739.jpg

That game was very cool. Graphics were amazing even without 3dfx, but I had more fun with the second game. Those crazy power ups were so much fun. The car from carmageddon 1 was cooler though.

I never could get into the second game. The color palette was too vibrant, the peds too blocky, the textures too flat.

I know generally Carma2 is the fan favorite and TDR2000 the black sheep, but I even enjoyed TDR more than I did 2. Well, the regular races at least. Also, aside of bad optimization, I think Reincarnation/Max Damage are actually good.

Reply 1697 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I certainly feel lucky. Managed to find this in good condition.EBC87F13-7C88-45D4-8956-BF33B2DEF48E.jpeg

I have the Multiplayer Version of it boxed and the original release loose. As far as I understand the MP version has some rather unwelcome AI changes 😒

RandomStranger wrote on 2022-06-02, 18:48:
Joakim wrote on 2022-06-02, 17:58:

IMG_20220601_140739.jpg

I never could get into the second game. The color palette was too vibrant, the peds too blocky, the textures too flat.

I know generally Carma2 is the fan favorite and TDR2000 the black sheep, but I even enjoyed TDR more than I did 2. Well, the regular races at least. Also, aside of bad optimization, I think Reincarnation/Max Damage are actually good.

Carmageddon 2 felt like it was a completely different genre to me. Not to mention that the 3D graphics from that era were, well.. It may have been a technological marvel but it was to me a big step down from the first game in terms of style.

Voodoo 1/2 era 3dfx 3D games are all like that. Every single sequel in that generation that tried to jump the bandwagon looked like ass to me. Strangely enough games/franchises that started in that era did not bother me that much.

I'm pretty sure I would have hated if Quake was instead Doom 3 and looked like this:

ShogoScreenshot.jpg

But I loved Shogo for what it was.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1698 of 1908, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I agree the graphic style was worse, and probably did not age very well, but it had more interesting gameplay. From what I can remember it has zombies instead of people though. 😮

Reply 1699 of 1908, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_20220622_191105.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220622_191105.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Tomb Raider: Legend - These early non-bargin bin cover releases are starting to get a little rare. At least where I live. Came with manual. The disc is a little bit worn, but PowerISO surface test finished all green.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - A little bit disappointing that the manual is a sheet of paper which says in 10 languages that the manual is on the disc. I like booklets. The disc is in good condition, the surface test finished all green.

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - I already had the 'Sold Out' bargin bin variant, but I wanted one with the pretty cover and manual that is longer than a sheet of paper. Interesting thing, it came in a double disc case which had two copies of the game. Both are scratched and so dirty, the surface test failed at 80% with all problematic or bad sectors. After some soap water cleaning, the surface test finished all green on both discs. One might be an earlier version because it's detected to be smaller.

I also ordered Empire Earth (Best Seller Series bargin bin release), but the seller messed up and sent me The Art of Conquest (pretty cover release + manual) expansion.

Edit: And the seller just called. He'll refund me for Empire Earth.