VOGONS

Short on ISA slots? Try this.

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 82, by Dubinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi h-a-l-9000 and PCBONEZ,

thank you both for the technical details about the "Off Topic" Euro PC.
The Problem is, the Euro PC II need a DC Power Supply of 18-19 Volts at 2,5 Amps. So i think i need a DC Step Up Voltage Converter to transform 12 Volts from a AT Power Supply to powering the ISA Backplane AND this little tiny PC (And have some basic Load at the 12V Line perfectly) into 18-19 Volts and make a S-VHS Adapter to fit in the Power Connection of the Euro PC II (The PC I use another Power Jack) and take a little Fuse at 3 Amps, ... But isn't it a Problem with the 12 Volts drawback in the ISA Slot ? Because i filling 18-19 Volts into the DC Jack of the Euro PC II, it had a internal DC Power Supply to transform this into the Standard PC Voltages and thus the ISA Bus getting its 12 Volts out and because the ISA Backplane is powered and also the ISA Bus is connected with the Euro PC II so 12 Volts going also into the ISA Slot, and 12 Volts going also getting out and somethings crashed 😊

Hmm, ... I think this would make a new Topic because this is Off Topic here. But this is going a way to bit off topic and sorry for that. But the Idea for the ISA Connectors of jwt with the Jumpers to cut off the Power Rails from the Board isn't a bad idea.

Anyway, Thanks for the Anwers.

Greetings

Reply 61 of 82, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes. A thread split would be a good idea.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 62 of 82, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
avx wrote:

I believe dosbox sounds "crap" - it does not model the analog side of the cards - some cards add noise,overdrive,EQ,stereo width changes.

I don't believe, I just know: analog side of ISA cards was always most terrible part of these devices. And "some noise, overdrive, stereo width changes" are like "warm vynil noise". I try to stay away from these bugs. These "analog effects" are really bugs and nothing more. I spent several years to find, install and set up together the cards with S/PDIF channel. EQ effects if needed I tune on the digital receiver with better quality. This sound is really much better than analog side of ISA boards and it is reached in the pure DOS.

Reply 63 of 82, by AndrewK2685

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice project. I didn't know it was so simple to extend your ISA's
I've only seen solutions from comanies that do limited transfers
and require PSU on both backplane and motheboard
and also need to simultaneously switch them on, like this:
http://www.acces-usa.com/?p=/isa/ptrc_at.html

they also have an isa card with termination resistors
and also an PCI to ISA extender
These however are intended for industry applications
thus are rare and expensive

Reply 64 of 82, by RTChaser07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I ordered one of these in the 3 slot variety. Works with an E-ATX case with a bit of work.

http://www.douglas.com/index.php/fc-6-de-63.html

Attachments

Reply 65 of 82, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RTChaser07 wrote on 2022-05-01, 22:13:

Hello all,

I ordered one of these in the 3 slot variety. Works with an E-ATX case with a bit of work.

This is so tempting. Must...hold...back....

Seriously, what did you choose for shipping ?

I get the following choices to Canada :

FedEx
International Economy $65.61
International Priority $72.59

customshipping_mycarrier
2-Day $0.00
1-Day $0.00
Ground $0.00

Not sure if the customshipping_mycarrier options are real options or just bugs/placeholders.

Reply 66 of 82, by RTChaser07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-05-01, 22:44:
This is so tempting. Must...hold...back.... […]
Show full quote

Hello all,

This is so tempting. Must...hold...back....

Seriously, what did you choose for shipping ?

I get the following choices to Canada :

FedEx
International Economy $65.61
International Priority $72.59

customshipping_mycarrier
2-Day $0.00
1-Day $0.00
Ground $0.00

Not sure if the customshipping_mycarrier options are real options or just bugs/placeholders.

I did FedEx - 2 Day from within the USA.

Reply 67 of 82, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info BUT --> WTF ! You paid like $130 for one ???
Shipping from US to within US FedEx:
2 Day $40.00
First Overnight $65.00
Must weigh a whole 4oz. USPS would be about $2.20. there is NO Fedex choice for standard shipping and customshipping_mycarrier gives no info on what that means.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 68 of 82, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is not only a stupid high price for the part but the shipping is also insane.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 69 of 82, by RTChaser07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All,

I spent several days trying to find the right parts to build said device.

Some of the parts for the original posted solution were out of stock at time that I bought this.

If you can find all the parts from one source, you may be able to save money. I could not though.

At minimum, you will spend about $40 for something like this.

Reply 70 of 82, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-02, 01:21:

That is not only a stupid high price for the part but the shipping is also insane.

for that price I'd just buy a few motherboards with more ISA slots

Reply 71 of 82, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be fair, if I get quote for 10 units, the total shipping cost is

FedEx
International Economy $115.31
International Priority $121.47

which is much more reasonable (on a per unit basis), but I don't want 10 of them .
Anybody want to organize a group buy ? 😉 Seriously, a wholesaler wanting to buy 50 or more of those could likely make a tidy profit reselling them at still relatively reasonable prices, IF there is enough demand .

Reply 72 of 82, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry darry but think that is the price per unit is also the problem. I could use one just because I collect stuff. Do not need one but have bought other ISA risers just to have one in case ever needed.
The best one is a ISA/PCI riser that works on nearly every board ever tested and cost me $30 (wish would have bought more) but at $90+ is a bit too steep for me.

added: A bit OT - This is the best ISA/PCI riser test card I ever found. Works on old ISA riser DTK, Compaq, etc (only in ISA not the PCI part). Also works on every EISA board so far tried for ISA or those that support PCI.
Also works on those OEM boards that support PCI that need a standard riser. Got it for a test adapter not knowing it real value...Wish would have bought more...

Attachments

• Img_1930.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1930.jpg
    File size
    512.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_1931.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1931.jpg
    File size
    435.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 73 of 82, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2022-05-02, 02:26:

Sorry darry but think that is the price per unit is also the problem. I could use one just because I collect stuff. Do not need one but have bought other ISA risers just to have one in case ever needed.
The best one is a ISA/PCI riser that works on nearly every board ever tested and cost me $30 (wish would have bought more) but at $90+ is a bit too steep for me.

Horun, I agree that 90$ per unit is step (wouldn't be that bad if shipping was included), but since the per unit price comes down to 59.90$ when buying 25, probably even less when buying 50 or more and shipping per unit comes down to 7.80$ per unit (to Canada, likely less in the US), a bulk buyer would end up with a "cost" of less than 68$ per unit. Add a 30$ max profit margin and reasonably cheap shipping, it might actually be possible for someone to resell these at about 100$ or less including shipping and still make money . That is a price I would possibly be willing to pay, but admittedly, not everyone would.

BUT, as always

a) would there be enough demand for this (at the still rather high price)?

b) would anybody be willing to play retailer, take a gamble on a) and sink 2000$ upfront on this ?

I have ISA risers too, but they all have their slots facing in a direction that collides with the other slots on the motherboard, so not that useful for me .

That being said, if someone could come up with a pre-assembled (or easy to assemble) pair of male ISA edge connectors connected by IDC type ribbon cable for a decent price, re-using existing ISA backplanes or ISA risers would be an option too . Sounds like a nice crowdfunding idea to me... 😉

Reply 74 of 82, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

an ISA extender like this is something I was looking for to create a "null" bridgeboard for my Amiga that would give me access to the ISA slots. Plug this into the ISA one remaining ISA slot in my A3000, and I should be able to add several cards.. vga, network, sound/midi/joystick, drive controller...

Reply 75 of 82, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hamby wrote on 2022-05-04, 21:38:

to create a "null" bridgeboard for my Amiga that would give me access to the ISA slots

just to be sure i understand what you mean, you already have a pc bridgeboard ?
or you want to use isa cards on the amiga itself ?

Reply 76 of 82, by NHVintage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A note on this project: you can also buy the ribbon cables pre-assembled on ebay, among other places:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256155811017?var=556131378353

The pin assemblies are on ebay (and amazon and others) too. I'm going to try this solution out. I only had to order the cards from OSH Park and the cables and pins from ebay. I couldn't see me not fouling up the cable assembly 😁

Reply 77 of 82, by NHVintage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I tried this, and first attempts didn't work - though to be fair I'm only trying this on an 8-bit ISA extension. I moved the ISA USB card from the XT to the expansion chassis, and put together the bridge of cables and cards. I get power as the usb stick lights up, but no data. continuity seems fine as I've checked all the pins with a multimeter. I have to dig up my diagnostic card and see what it sees when the pc boots.

Has anyone actually tried this solution, 16 or 8 bit?

Reply 78 of 82, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

Is there someone still working on these? Since there are some nice cheap compact MATX cases with some 90° rotated extra slots and AT IO Shield it could be at least be possible to get some Baby AT Boards to work with barely all slots used.....?

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 79 of 82, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NHVintage wrote on 2023-12-09, 03:17:

So I tried this, and first attempts didn't work - though to be fair I'm only trying this on an 8-bit ISA extension. I moved the ISA USB card from the XT to the expansion chassis, and put together the bridge of cables and cards. I get power as the usb stick lights up, but no data. continuity seems fine as I've checked all the pins with a multimeter. I have to dig up my diagnostic card and see what it sees when the pc boots.

Has anyone actually tried this solution, 16 or 8 bit?

Extending a parallel bus that far might require termination/active termination.