VOGONS

Common searches

Quest for Glory 5

Topic actions

First post, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just wondering if anyone here has been able to run this game on Windows XP.... I've tried applying SIerra's patches & running in Compatibility Mode for both 95 & 98, I've even tried installing a Win XP patch that I got on a fan page.....

I'd appreaciate any help.....

Reply 2 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

You tried the Windows version with Compatibility mode?
(All options selected:Windows 95, 640x480, 256 colors, etc...)

Yup.... I get to the main screen & when I click on any of the buttons (including QUIT) it just freezes there...... It's weird, cause this is 1 of only 3 Sierra Oakhurst-era games that was made only for WIndows & the other 2 work perfectly.....

Do you know of anyone who has actually been able to run the game on XP??

Reply 3 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My guess would be that it's a sound problem... because I perfectly remember running this game on 98 & ME and there was music on the main screen..... about 95% of the times I get no sound at the main screen and the other 5% just a looping sound....

Reply 4 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Y2J ..this is 1 of only 3 Sierra Oakhurst-era games that was made only for WIndows & the other 2 work perfectly.....

I can't believe I read and responded to that post without reading it properly. I was thinking QFG 4. Obviously, you wouldn't want 256 colors, that would be pretty ugly.

Do you know of anyone who has actually been able to run the game on XP??

I was unaware that anyone was having a problem with it. Made the mistake of presuming that something released in '98 should at least have taken NT compatibility into consideration. Hrmmm...

According to this page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/7 … 5/Downloads.htm

There is no official 2000/XP patch for QFG5, but apparently there is a "homemade" one. It requires that you have already updated your game to version 1.2 and updated your QuickTime as well.

I don't have it, so I can't try it.

Reply 5 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

There is no official 2000/XP patch for QFG5, but apparently there is a "homemade" one. It requires that you have already updated your game to version 1.2 and updated your QuickTime as well.

I don't have it, so I can't try it.

Already did that and the same thing happened 😠

I wonder if Sierra still gives support for this game.... after all it was released around the same time as Mask of Eternity & GK3.....

Reply 6 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Y2J I wonder if Sierra still gives support for this game.... after all it was released around the same time as Mask of Eternity & GK3.....

I'm not sure they support anything anymore that doesn't have the words "half-life" in it's title. So unless you can convince tech support that you're playing Half-Life: "Quest for Glory" Edition... Poor sales didn't help either.

I do kind of wonder if this might be a processor speed issue...

Reply 7 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you need to install an old (3.x) version of Quicktime? They depreciated the 3.x API in 4.0, so you'll need both. Unbelievably enough it actually works in NT/2K/XP, but it puts things in places I'd rather it not (like, the system folder 😜)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Perhaps you need to install an old (3.x) version of Quicktime? They depreciated the 3.x API in 4.0, so you'll need both. Unbelievably enough it actually works in NT/2K/XP, but it puts things in places I'd rather it not (like, the system folder 😜)

Yup... I tried that already 😁 The thing that has me 😕 is why isn't the music from the main screen playing.... I downloaded the MS Compatibility Tool Kit & the error it reported was that the game was calling obsolete APIs.... but like I said, having QT3 installed didn't do any good 😠

Reply 10 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmmm.... I installed the game on my laptop (that also has XP) and with Compatibility mode set at 98/ME it worked perfectly.... so it must be something in my computer that's garbaging QFG5.... Only thing left is find out what....😕 Although formatting the HD is an option

Reply 11 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Y2J Hmmmm.... I installed the game on my laptop (that also has XP) and with Compatibility mode set at 98/ME it worked perfectly...

Well that's good news at least.

.... so it must be something in my computer that's garbaging QFG5....

Sounds like it. Any unusual programs installed? Hardware monitoring tools? DirectX 9? (grasping at straws here).

Although formatting the HD is an option

If you do, install Win9x on a small partition at the front of the drive. Then when you re-install XP, choose "new install" instead of upgrade, and let XP set up a Dual-Boot for you. It's fairly painless, and gives you the luxury of a fall-back OS for titles that "Hate NT".

Reply 13 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Y2J One question.... On my previous computer I did have dual boot with 98SE & XP, now, which is the better program for these partitions stuff?? I was using Partition Magic & Boot Magic.....

That would be Partition Magic. Boot Magic is the tool that lets you boot from different OS's. BootMagic isn't needed if you're just running XP and a Win9x OS. Unless you're adding Linux or some other OS, I wouldn't bother with BootMagic. It uses some trickery for Dual-booting between Win9x and XP, whereas the XP dual-boot is fully "system-legal".

Reply 15 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I have a friend who has a computer exactly like mine, the only difference is that his computer has only a DVD drive and mine has the DVD plus a CDRW drive on the same IDE cable.... QFG5 runs on his computer, I can't get it to run and we both formatted our CPUs the same day and installed just the basic components..... could this be it?? I tried to run the game without the CD inside the drive and the result is exactly the same as if it was in.....

Reply 16 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why it would be, but is the title music supposed to be played from an audio track on the CD? If so, try putting the CD in your other drive instead.

Reply 18 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

I don't see why it would be, but is the title music supposed to be played from an audio track on the CD? If so, try putting the CD in your other drive instead.

Nope, I tried that already.... on the title screen I'm supposed to get the game's theme music... instead I hear about half a second of the song looping.... tac tac tac tac tac..... Same thing happens if I don't have the CD in the drive.... the DVD or CD-RW drives are just not responding to QFG5 🙁

Snover wrote:

That won't solve it.
Have you checked Sierra's knowledge base? (Always worth a quick gleen.)

I called them a couple of weeks ago and the TechSup guy didn't know QFG5 was for WIndows only... he though it was a DOS game..... just shows you how much they care about their legacy ;P