User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-06, 01:02:
While you're at it, make a note of the word "gobbledygook"! […]
Show full quote
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-05, 23:16:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-05, 22:47:

see, this is why we can't have nice things.
Sadly, Ebay has a quasi monopoly in their field. Otherwise it would be really, really disturbing with what flabbergasting amounts of shitfuckery they let their sellers get away with...

"flabbergasting amounts of shitfuckery" is a sentence I hope to re-use in the future 😀

While you're at it, make a note of the word "gobbledygook"!

SteveC wrote on 2022-05-05, 23:39:

Quick video on the ThinkPad R50e I got the other day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-au_1-NtbM

Think I have a similar one, but still somewhere in storage at my parent's place. Just old enough to be 4:3 and with PATA drive. Battery is the usual but else, seems fine. TBH, it's a bit in the "obsolete limbo" age for me. Not too much use or interest, so far. I should check out whether it does any DOS with any sense...

Yes it is in the obsolete limbo territory... Boring XP machine! I tried putting Windows Me on it but it just kept crashing and rebooting during the install... and also I couldn't find DOS drivers for the sound card. Shame as the screen is lovely and the scaling is decent.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44421 of 52354, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
psychofox wrote on 2022-05-06, 05:57:
Bought this nice little Voodoo Banshee. Since it has been sold as an unknown graphics card unknown condition, got it cheap. Luck […]
Show full quote

Bought this nice little Voodoo Banshee. Since it has been sold as an unknown graphics card unknown condition, got it cheap. Luckily works like charm, nice sharp picture these cards have ! Anyone knows the manufacturer of this card?
Untitled-1.jpg

Plus deck 2c. Strange device for converting audio casettes to mp3. I actually have not very much audio cassettes left, but since it is so cool looking device, i had to buy it 😀 Hope it has drivers for W9x.

Untitled-2.jpg

Wow, that card is tiny. I think my Creative 3D Blaster Banshee is twice as big. Cool find.

Reply 44422 of 52354, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got these from local site all for 60 euro (a bit much then what i prefer to pay, to lests say like 30 euro but whatever). Still the condition is 98% preserved so i dont have complains. Seems the same guy have more Voodoo cards and some dual socket board and other stuff. Is nice to find good and well preserved parts, not some scrap garbage... Seems i like now Blue PCB 3Dfx cards (also others like the blue Gigabyte 370 boards) , will collect as many different models as i can.

20220506_121350.jpg
Filename
20220506_121350.jpg
File size
636.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220506_121859.jpg
Filename
20220506_121859.jpg
File size
534.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220506_122207.jpg
Filename
20220506_122207.jpg
File size
581.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220506_122316.jpg
Filename
20220506_122316.jpg
File size
591.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220506_122403.jpg
Filename
20220506_122403.jpg
File size
571.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Radical Vision on 2022-05-06, 09:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 44423 of 52354, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bought this nice little Voodoo Banshee. Since it has been sold as an unknown graphics card unknown condition, got it cheap. Luck […]
Show full quote

Bought this nice little Voodoo Banshee. Since it has been sold as an unknown graphics card unknown condition, got it cheap. Luckily works like charm, nice sharp picture these cards have ! Anyone knows the manufacturer of this card?
Untitled-1.jpg

Plus deck 2c. Strange device for converting audio casettes to mp3. I actually have not very much audio cassettes left, but since it is so cool looking device, i had to buy it 😀 Hope it has drivers for W9x.

Untitled-2.jpg

It literally have Super sticker on it.. Is some cheap crap brand i saw them making ISA audio cards and other S3 cards and stuff.. Dont know what exactly you like in this card aside from the chipset of 3Dfx the PCB and everything scream CHEAP... Prefer Gigabyte Blue PCB Banshee or Creative 3D Blaster Banshee ot ELSA some quality brand not cheap crap.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 44424 of 52354, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-06, 09:49:
Show full quote

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

It literally have Super sticker on it.. Is some cheap crap brand i saw them making ISA audio cards and other S3 cards and stuff.. Dont know what exactly you like in this card aside from the chipset of 3Dfx the PCB and everything scream CHEAP... Prefer Gigabyte Blue PCB Banshee or Creative 3D Blaster Banshee ot ELSA some quality brand not cheap crap.

What exactly do you reckon is bad about this card that makes it inferior to others?
The sticker on the EEPROM?

Reply 44425 of 52354, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, the price i paid was cheap, the card works, picture is crisp, cooler is silent. And most importantly for me, it is Voodoo. What else you want from graphics card? I am building an Pentium II period PC right now, it fits there like a glove 😁

Reply 44426 of 52354, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-05-06, 10:00:
Show full quote

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

What exactly do you reckon is bad about this card that makes it inferior to others?
The sticker on the EEPROM?

That anything that bears the name Creative Labs is definitely not "cheap crap" is, well, kind of somewhat, maybe, debatable.
ELSA, bit if a fanboy here myself, but they probably, as the French say, only cook with water. Also, they're designed in Aachen, where people look like this.
That little Voodoo - it's a Voodoo. And like many digital devices, it may just be binary. Either a one or a zero.

I like jumpers.

Reply 44427 of 52354, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-05-06, 04:04:

Added a verified working Canopus Pure3D to supplement the failed one I already one (which is undergoing repairs, but I don't know if it will survive).

Very nice! 😃👌
Could I trouble you to determine the pinout on the passthrough cable and post it here?
There's a pinout avaliable online but I've read rumours that it was inaccurate.

Reply 44428 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

It's definitely little! I never seen a Banshee this compact 🤣
I wouldn't mind having such a card available in my stash 🙂

I actually still have a whole bag of old cassettes left, but I can bring em to a friend of mine as he already has everything needed to digitize those.
Last time I checked, they still worked xD

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44429 of 52354, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-06, 11:24:
It's definitely little! I never seen a Banshee this compact lol I wouldn't mind having such a card available in my stash 🙂 […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I actually still have a whole bag of old cassettes left, but I can bring em to a friend of mine as he already has everything needed to digitize those.

Storage on magnetic tapes is not made to last. The magnetic layers tend to slowly copy themselves onto each other. Just ask NASA about the Apollo data.
So, the tapes may be fine physcially, but the information on them will at least fade away. AFAIK, you'd at least have to rewind them to the other side once in a while.

I like jumpers.

Reply 44430 of 52354, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-06, 11:29:

Storage on magnetic tapes is not made to last. The magnetic layers tend to slowly copy themselves onto each other. Just ask NASA about the Apollo data.
So, the tapes may be fine physcially, but the information on them will at least fade away. AFAIK, you'd at least have to rewind them to the other side once in a while.

Not really true. Magnetic tape storage is made to last. Magnetic tape storage is still the most reliable way for long term archivization (I've been working in the library business for over 20 years, I created infrastructure for one of the biggest digital libraries in Poland, so I know thing or two). There are better solutions available (ie. object storage on JBOD arrays which self-heals and refreshes data on HDDs) but those are costly and not as compact as tapes. Also tape has a single VERY significant adavtage over other media - you can pull it out of the drive/autoloader/robot and take away wherever you need.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44431 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-06, 11:24:
It's definitely little! I never seen a Banshee this compact lol I wouldn't mind having such a card available in my stash 🙂 […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

True, but I mean that I literally used them less than a year ago in my NOS walkman and (to my surprise actually) they still sounded pretty much like I remembered them 😋
I didn't try all of them btw, so personally I wouldn't be surprised if some have gone knackers by now as I used all kinds of tapes from a multitude of different brands etc.
But at any rate, the most important tapes are still sounding pretty much great less than a year ago and these are tapes that by now are, like, 25 years old or so?

Report spammers here!

Reply 44432 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2022-05-06, 11:34:

Not really true. Magnetic tape storage is made to last. Magnetic tape storage is still the most reliable way for long term archivization (I've been working in the library business for over 20 years, I created infrastructure for one of the biggest digital libraries in Poland, so I know thing or two). There are better solutions available (ie. object storage on JBOD arrays which self-heals and refreshes data on HDDs) but those are costly and not as compact as tapes. Also tape has a single VERY significant adavtage over other media - you can pull it out of the drive/autoloader/robot and take away wherever you need.

That is quite an impressive background you got there btw!

In my case it's the plain ol' audio tapes I was referring to. I'm not sure how reliable these will be, I mean these are plain consumer products in the end and not professional material.
But those that I tried last year were still working as intended 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 44433 of 52354, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-05-06, 11:34:

Interesting. The self-copy issue is just what I've read about the the Apollo project. Mind you, that was 1960s tech. So, there might actually be some progress in magnetic tape storage since then. 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 44434 of 52354, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-06, 11:39:

In my case it's the plain ol' audio tapes I was referring to. I'm not sure how reliable these will be, I mean these are plain consumer products in the end and not professional material.
But those that I tried last year were still working as intended 😜

Depends on tape quality. I have some old 8-bit Atari tapes which are falling apart it looks like some sort of layer is peeling of and white flakes are falling out of the cassette. Yet my audio tapes (most of them are pretty cheap cassettes - some are as early as 1988 because that's when I got my first tape player) hold up pretty good. About month ago I checked all of them out and there are no problems whatsoever, audio is as clear as it was back in the day.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44435 of 52354, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably deserves its own thread....

maybe this will make the prices of some older hardware drop substantially
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022- … ump-foreign-pcs
unless they just grind it all up and re use the raw materials.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 44436 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently bought some 2GB 800MHz DDR2 modules, some USB extension cords and even some brand new floppy cables!
I had basically zero decently sized DDR2 modules (what I had was mostly stuff like 256MB 533MHz which kinda sucks and my only 2 1GB 800MHz modules were already used) so these are most welcome.
I don't like peripherals with short cables, which makes me a big fan of extension cords and the floppy cables were like 10 cents each so why not 😋

Report spammers here!

Reply 44437 of 52354, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-06, 13:51:

I recently bought some 2GB 800MHz DDR2 modules, some USB extension cords and even some brand new floppy cables!
I had basically zero decently sized DDR2 modules (what I had was mostly stuff like 256MB 533MHz which kinda sucks and my only 2 1GB 800MHz modules were already used) so these are most welcome.
I don't like peripherals with short cables, which makes me a big fan of extension cords and the floppy cables were like 10 cents each so why not 😋

Yeah, cables are so boring, until you need them. Wasn't my main objective, but I just landed a 1€ heap of 20+ or 3.5 kg+ NOS mini-DIN, USB and IEEE1394 cables, some of those really weird like male-male-USB A ones. But, it may seem, I'm set for life, there. One I'm actually using right now to extend the wireless base of a keyboard, no shit.

AppleSauce wrote on 2022-05-05, 10:45:
Wow last time I checked ebay for them a year or two ago there were still some mx300s floating around for okayish prices and some […]
Show full quote
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-05, 09:08:

That Diamond card has become a bloody unicorn, yes.
Does it have to be a Vortex 2? What about the original Vortex, will that do? Any good threads about the issue?

Wow last time I checked ebay for them a year or two ago there were still some mx300s floating around for okayish prices and some even cheaper turtle beach ones.
It seems like there were a few auctions not long ago and one went for 50 aud so there still are deals to be had.

I'm no expert but after doing some reading it seems like the vortex 2 did more stuff in hardware rather then offloading it to the cpu , plus the vortex 2 got some new features as well.

Heres some quotes from ZanQuance in some posts , he seems to know a bit

A3D Vortex 1 any good?

"Compare charts in the AU8820 and AU8830 product briefs.

AU8820 has 48 total voice channels, AU8830 has 96.
AU8820 lacks hardware HRTF, AU8830 has hardware HRTF support.
AU8820 provides hardware mixing for 32 channels to 16 and sample rate converters for 16 channels. AU8830 uses the same hardware.
AU8820 has hardware wavetable for 32 channels, AU8830 tacks on an extra bank for 64 total wavetable hardware channels, can be repurposed for directsound streams."

A3D 1.0 vs 2.0 vs EAX 1.0 vs 2.0

"In general A3D 1.0 only offers HRTF on 8 audio sources and these are rendered in software. No reverb support at all.
A3D 2.0 gives a whole slew of new features like Occlusions, Hardware HRTF, WaveTraced reflections and some other neat 3D audio features"

Thank you all for the hints on the Vortex 2 chips, I shall keep some Turtle Beach or the Diamond card on my "wanted" list, for now.

But, back then, I was firmly in the "for games, give me Creative Labs or death" camp.
So, I've decided to venture into the vortex on a beginners level and it seems, I just won a Terratec XLerate with the original beetle. For a single Øre, no one else wanted that thing. Am I missing something? It has a golden backplate, MIDI connector and bent pins, what's not to like there?

Attachments

I like jumpers.

Reply 44439 of 52354, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For 1€ I would haven taken it as well!
I remember a thread were people were experimenting with upgrading Vortex 1 cards to Vortex 2. Not sure if it was successful.