VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the Allied Assault Warchest from GOG. I have an autoexec.cfg for the base game and it works fine changes settings and resolution no problem. However, I cannot seem to get it to work for the expansions. I have placed it in the main folder as well as mainta and maintt and it just doesn't seem to work at all.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SO, I figured this out, but not sure what was going on. The Autoexec.cfg was properly writing to the expansion configs, but it was like the game wasn't taking it, so I just copy and pasted everything I wanted in the base expansion configs and it all works now????

Reply 3 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't look like it has been updated much and the github page says not to use the client 🤣. I am curious about it as MOHAA is not just a Quake III game but uses Ritual's ÜberTools which has never had the source code released to my understanding.

Reply 4 of 5, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-06, 15:22:

The Autoexec.cfg was properly writing to the expansion configs, but it was like the game wasn't taking it, so I just copy and pasted everything I wanted in the base expansion configs and it all works now????

I don't remember this stuff very well, what is it that you were trying to do, have main\autoexec.cfg include configuration which should also apply to the expansions, rather than duplicate those settings in mainta\autoexec.cfg and maintt\autoexec.cfg? I know the expansions would read data files from the main directory but didn't know they would do any such thing for autoexec.cfg. That's not to say it's not possible, I just wasn't aware of it so perhaps it wasn't a feature.

Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-07, 17:45:

Doesn't look like it has been updated much and the github page says not to use the client 🤣.

Yeah, I saw that, not very encouraging 😁

I am curious about it as MOHAA is not just a Quake III game but uses Ritual's ÜberTools which has never had the source code released to my understanding.

The fact that their instructions include "Rename cgamex86.dll to cgamex86mohaa.dll" makes me wonder if they just wrap some of the original game code. I certainly seem to remember seeing some wrapper like this in the past. If I recall correctly, I think that's possible because the interface between the main game engine .EXE and the .DLLs is at least partially known since it's based on the standard Quake 3 code, and also if I recall correctly some source code from Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2 was released (for the .DLL(s) I think).

Alternatively maybe they just reverse-engineered some parts.

Reply 5 of 5, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doshea wrote on 2022-05-08, 04:06:
Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-06, 15:22:

The Autoexec.cfg was properly writing to the expansion configs, but it was like the game wasn't taking it, so I just copy and pasted everything I wanted in the base expansion configs and it all works now????

I don't remember this stuff very well, what is it that you were trying to do, have main\autoexec.cfg include configuration which should also apply to the expansions, rather than duplicate those settings in mainta\autoexec.cfg and maintt\autoexec.cfg? I know the expansions would read data files from the main directory but didn't know they would do any such thing for autoexec.cfg. That's not to say it's not possible, I just wasn't aware of it so perhaps it wasn't a feature.

I had separate autoexec.cfg in each expansions main folder it was like the game wasn't reading them, but the weird part was when I opened up their unamedsoldier.cfg it showed the changes. So I copied my entire autoexec into the unamedsoldier.cfg and my custom resolutions and settings where working.