VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44480 of 52699, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this Socket 478 ECS Elitegroup P4VXASD2+ board with 1,7 GHz CPU and 2 x 256 Mb SDR memory. On the upper left corner, there was, I think, an SMD capactior circuit, which caused a burned trace, so someone fixed the trace with wire. I tested the motherboard and it works, so I won't attempt putting a new capacitor for now.

Attachments

Reply 44481 of 52699, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-07, 12:43:
Is that dude really trashing that tiny Banshee card ? […]
Show full quote

Is that dude really trashing that tiny Banshee card ?

I think is a nice little card and would fit something like my tiny little Zida Tomato S7 board, if it was PCI that is but even as an AGP card its got a lot going for it.

And by tiny .. I really do mean tiny .. its like a chibi sized S7 baby AT board, looks comical in even a midi tower case, even more amusing than the Coffee Maker I bought recently.

Dont be hating, just enjoy the hardware for what it is and marvel in the sheer variety of cool bits people find.

I wouldn't trash that Banshee due to how expensive 3Dfx cards are right now.

Smaller and low-profile video cards in general are useful when building a computer that has very little spacing.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 44483 of 52699, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote on 2022-05-07, 13:29:

Bought this Socket 478 ECS Elitegroup P4VXASD2+ board with 1,7 GHz CPU and 2 x 256 Mb SDR memory. On the upper left corner, there was, I think, an SMD capactior circuit, which caused a burned trace, so someone fixed the trace with wire. I tested the motherboard and it works, so I won't attempt putting a new capacitor for now.

Is this a primarily 5v-powered P4 board which I see before me? 😳

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 44484 of 52699, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-26, 17:14:

If you are running Windows 9x then you can find Yamaha software synthesisers that are free. In the next order of expense would be an Audigy or Audigy 2 with GS sound fonts. The last and most expensive would be an X2GS wavetable board, which should fit nicely on that card you have there.

I have the yamaha softwares; I wanted the wavetable because its hardware thereby saving system ram and cpu.
But I repeat at a non rediculous price.

Reply 44485 of 52699, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I gotta stop buying every NEC multisync I see under $10 in case it's a good one. This latest is an LCD1760VM ... which turns out is just around average LCD monitor capable... but I liked that it has speakers built in, because not every setup needs a pair of 205mm phononwerfer howitzers pointed at your head.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44487 of 52699, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the local treasure finds. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Just picked up this 36" Sony Trinitron Wega CRT TV for $40. It's my second Sony 36" CRT strictly for use with the old school consoles and light gun games. It's got a little cracked plastic on the top, but a little glue and plastic filler will take care of that.

20220507-154933.jpg

Last edited by Brawndo on 2022-05-07, 23:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44488 of 52699, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-05-07, 18:35:

I gotta stop buying every NEC multisync I see under $10 in case it's a good one.

Serious question: Educate me, which specific criteria distinguish a good multisync LCD?

With CRTs I understand, but I don't know much about LCDs, beyond the basic usuals.

Reply 44489 of 52699, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-07, 22:44:

I gotta stop buying every NEC multisync I see under $10 in case it's a good one.

Serious question: Educate me, which specific criteria distinguish a good multisync LCD?

With CRTs I understand, but I don't know much about LCDs, beyond the basic usuals.

Well pretty much the same as the CRTs. Modes below 30khz and 640x480

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44490 of 52699, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-05-07, 23:31:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-07, 22:44:

Well pretty much the same as the CRTs. Modes below 30khz and 640x480

Oh, ok. I'm struggling to think what I'd use that for. LCDs outside their native resolution is a no-go for me.

Reply 44491 of 52699, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brawndo wrote on 2022-05-07, 22:21:
I love the local treasure finds. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Just picked up this 36" Sony Trinitron Wega CRT TV fo […]
Show full quote

I love the local treasure finds. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Just picked up this 36" Sony Trinitron Wega CRT TV for $40. It's my second Sony 36" CRT strictly for use with the old school consoles and light gun games. It's got a little cracked plastic on the top, but a little glue and plastic filler will take care of that.

20220507-154933.jpg

That's a fantastic deal on the tv. How's the image quality of it?

Reply 44492 of 52699, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-08, 03:22:

LCDs outside their native resolution is a no-go for me.

One reason why I don't bother using LCD monitors with old computers. 😀

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 44493 of 52699, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well if you want authentic for pre 1990 make sure your chosen CRT has some keystone, linearity problems, uneven focus and maybe even a slight tilt to the left. LCDs aren't all that bad to deal with after living through that. Yes some have horrible scaling, but I don't see how ppl pretend they're a good screen still and keep picking at that one sore... dump it, get a cheapo that does it better... for some reason it seems to be something that spendier screens screw up more than middle of the road. Though I don't really have to do perfect for everything, I just swap stuff around until things are well paired. I've got 6 or 7 functional CRTs, but having more than 2 in a room turns it into an oven, and they hog so much desk.

Reply 44494 of 52699, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-07, 11:35:
I'm just checking something here, alright? Because... Do you even realize that this forum went to being basically great exactly […]
Show full quote
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:55:
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:45:

Not working scrap?! Erm... 😁

Well i call working scrap stuff like most ASSrock boards, ECS boards, PChips, Super part, all 478 board aside from the exotic ones (sush as MSI Platinum, ABIT ect), low parts Celerons, Sempron, cards like TNT 2 M64 (jesus i hate this card) GEforce II MX200/400, GEforce 4 MX, GEforce FX5200, Radeon 9200, about most ATi Rage cards and others. These are part that are working but they are just scrap to me, die to them being just low end, not high end or something special. Ofc i dont trow working parts to scrappers, i just sell them to ppl that are not like me collection only the best, and with to money buy cool stuff.

BTW to be PC HW hoarder is hard for most men, die to them having a wife or gf, many did divorse, as they cant collect parts die to their wifes trowing stuff on the garbage, and not accepting the hobby of the men. Got cool parts from ppl that did have no choice but to trow the parts on the garbage or sell them, die to their wifes being females, they will never understand us..

I'm just checking something here, alright? Because...
Do you even realize that this forum went to being basically great exactly because people wanted to keep playing their very old games and started talking about that here on Vogons? Do you also realize that later people started using actual contemporary obsolete hardware with those games and talked about their experiences with these old PCs here on Vogons? And that sharing this knowledge led to an increasingly larger pool of knowledge and understanding of this subject.

And do you even realize that basically the entire reason Vogons is what it is today is because people like us were basically trashpicking these old boxed games, picked up those sidecurbed PCs, revisited thrift stores and fleamarkets and bought those mass-dumpsaled obsolete junk parts? Do you think we all went to Dubai to get these items? Do you know that the wealth of knowledge and knowhow is accumulated by tinkering with any actual parts or do you think we only started out using ultra this and Collector Edition game that and it all just worked out of the box with no effort put into it and this forum is just one big dick measuring contest or something?

We started out with the what you would call junk parts and build it up from there my dude. Back then others called it all junk and nobody wanted those ultras, could get Voodoo 3 3000 for a can of beer and I mean literally. Elitists didn't really want those cards back then, people like us did.

Have you ever walked into a crowded bar where everybody is busy just enjoying themselves and then you starting to publicly preach how alcohol is evil and against the will of the lord and against the holy bible?
Have you ever bashed those 15 year old supermarket kids because their jobs are so crappy and their lives just suck and their lives are just below you and that they should just quit their 'jobs' and instead go where the real money is and that they should start mining bitcornies?

But anyway, I digress for a bit here.

You also said something about collectors but frankly most of those collectors don't actually use the hardware they purchase. Some may end up using it very briefly for some youtube benchmark footage but some people here buy actual parts with the intent of actually using it. And I mean probably for months or even years on end.

Nobody really cares if the PCB is 'the wrong color' or if it's not the ultra version of your favorite board. What mattes is that people are having fun with what they do and that it works xD

You're just coming across as vain here especially if you trash someone else simply because you think their purchase (with which they also state are perfectly happy and works in every regard they wanted from it) is too smol. or the wrong color,lol. Especially if it's something highly sought after like something 3dfx and is genuinely making somebody happy.
It's fine that you don't like it, but no need to be such a dick about it.

Loving this forum and its people, I need to quote Tetrium and give this reply two thumbs-up.

It's a hobby, it might for some even be an escapist hobby, but for all here, the tinkering gives joy. That is the essence.

Taking down a fellow member for a purchase he or she (there are women here, they exist and live among us) made, is disloyal to the forum and its members.

I like my quirky Asrock dual AGP/PCI-E boards just as much as my Pr440FX. I like my Ati rage in a period correct system. I like the no brand Virge as a the always useful test card and I like the Celeron D, because frying them through Vcore in a test overclock is also joy.

Happiness hint:
Enjoy your parts, be happy for others about theirs.

This is applicable in life to more than just retro hardware.

Reply 44495 of 52699, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
flupke11 wrote on 2022-05-08, 05:38:
Loving this forum and its people, I need to quote Tetrium and give this reply two thumbs-up. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-07, 11:35:
I'm just checking something here, alright? Because... Do you even realize that this forum went to being basically great exactly […]
Show full quote
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:55:

Well i call working scrap stuff like most ASSrock boards, ECS boards, PChips, Super part, all 478 board aside from the exotic ones (sush as MSI Platinum, ABIT ect), low parts Celerons, Sempron, cards like TNT 2 M64 (jesus i hate this card) GEforce II MX200/400, GEforce 4 MX, GEforce FX5200, Radeon 9200, about most ATi Rage cards and others. These are part that are working but they are just scrap to me, die to them being just low end, not high end or something special. Ofc i dont trow working parts to scrappers, i just sell them to ppl that are not like me collection only the best, and with to money buy cool stuff.

BTW to be PC HW hoarder is hard for most men, die to them having a wife or gf, many did divorse, as they cant collect parts die to their wifes trowing stuff on the garbage, and not accepting the hobby of the men. Got cool parts from ppl that did have no choice but to trow the parts on the garbage or sell them, die to their wifes being females, they will never understand us..

I'm just checking something here, alright? Because...
Do you even realize that this forum went to being basically great exactly because people wanted to keep playing their very old games and started talking about that here on Vogons? Do you also realize that later people started using actual contemporary obsolete hardware with those games and talked about their experiences with these old PCs here on Vogons? And that sharing this knowledge led to an increasingly larger pool of knowledge and understanding of this subject.

And do you even realize that basically the entire reason Vogons is what it is today is because people like us were basically trashpicking these old boxed games, picked up those sidecurbed PCs, revisited thrift stores and fleamarkets and bought those mass-dumpsaled obsolete junk parts? Do you think we all went to Dubai to get these items? Do you know that the wealth of knowledge and knowhow is accumulated by tinkering with any actual parts or do you think we only started out using ultra this and Collector Edition game that and it all just worked out of the box with no effort put into it and this forum is just one big dick measuring contest or something?

We started out with the what you would call junk parts and build it up from there my dude. Back then others called it all junk and nobody wanted those ultras, could get Voodoo 3 3000 for a can of beer and I mean literally. Elitists didn't really want those cards back then, people like us did.

Have you ever walked into a crowded bar where everybody is busy just enjoying themselves and then you starting to publicly preach how alcohol is evil and against the will of the lord and against the holy bible?
Have you ever bashed those 15 year old supermarket kids because their jobs are so crappy and their lives just suck and their lives are just below you and that they should just quit their 'jobs' and instead go where the real money is and that they should start mining bitcornies?

But anyway, I digress for a bit here.

You also said something about collectors but frankly most of those collectors don't actually use the hardware they purchase. Some may end up using it very briefly for some youtube benchmark footage but some people here buy actual parts with the intent of actually using it. And I mean probably for months or even years on end.

Nobody really cares if the PCB is 'the wrong color' or if it's not the ultra version of your favorite board. What mattes is that people are having fun with what they do and that it works xD

You're just coming across as vain here especially if you trash someone else simply because you think their purchase (with which they also state are perfectly happy and works in every regard they wanted from it) is too smol. or the wrong color,lol. Especially if it's something highly sought after like something 3dfx and is genuinely making somebody happy.
It's fine that you don't like it, but no need to be such a dick about it.

Loving this forum and its people, I need to quote Tetrium and give this reply two thumbs-up.

It's a hobby, it might for some even be an escapist hobby, but for all here, the tinkering gives joy. That is the essence.

Taking down a fellow member for a purchase he or she (there are women here, they exist and live among us) made, is disloyal to the forum and its members.

I like my quirky Asrock dual AGP/PCI-E boards just as much as my Pr440FX. I like my Ati rage in a period correct system. I like the no brand Virge as a the always useful test card and I like the Celeron D, because frying them through Vcore in a test overclock is also joy.

Happiness hint:
Enjoy your parts, be happy for others about theirs.

This is applicable in life to more than just retro hardware.

Truly the only thing a Celery D is good at 😂

Edit - Saw a Voodoo3 3000 listed on eBay .. thing is .. its one of them rare Compaq Vodoo3 3500's that doesnt need the silly breakout cable, Ill add it to my Voodoo Collection which is now complete .. aside from a Rush which quite frankly are not worth the bother. (Knowing me Ill likely buy one later when a super cheap one shows up !)

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
444.36 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo 3 3500 disguised as a Voodoo 3 3000
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit 2 - Won these Altec Lansing ACS33 2.1 speakers today, they appear to use the creative digital input connection, I recently got a SBlive with the addon card that has this connection. Hopefully they also have a normal 3.5mm jack too which will make them super useful for my other rigs.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
256.98 KiB
Views
File comment
AL Speakers
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-05-08, 14:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44498 of 52699, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-08, 06:47:

Edit - Saw a Voodoo3 3000 listed on eBay .. thing is .. its one of them rare Compaq Vodoo3 3500's that doesnt need the silly breakout cable, Ill add it to my Voodoo Collection which is now complete .. aside from a Rush which quite frankly are not worth the bother.

Darn it, I saw that card but ignored it! Nice grab.

Reply 44499 of 52699, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-05-08, 14:09:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-08, 06:47:

Edit - Saw a Voodoo3 3000 listed on eBay .. thing is .. its one of them rare Compaq Vodoo3 3500's that doesnt need the silly breakout cable, Ill add it to my Voodoo Collection which is now complete .. aside from a Rush which quite frankly are not worth the bother.

Darn it, I saw that card but ignored it! Nice grab.

Wasn't till I checked the pictures that I saw it was actually a 3500, it also matches perfectly a similar card I missed out on a month ago by 50 cents....that one sold for ~350 AUD IIRC this one was a bit cheaper.