VOGONS

First post, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I finally have all the parts for my retro build but already looking at some problems. I always get an FDD controller failure error. The LED on the disk drive goes on and when it's looking for a floppy I can hear sounds coming from the fdd. (As if it's reading the floppy disk)

Here's what I did:

- set the Floppy drive's jumper to master
- Checked the wire, on both sides wire 1 is on the correct side (does it matter on which side the little twist in the cable is? Either way I tried both cable ends in both connectors
- Set the floppy drive settings in BIOS

I'm also getting a keyboard error about half the time. It would give the error on boot, and then make a clicking noise every second. If I try to push the cable in some more the clicking stops and the keyboard works, even though the cable was already in as much as it could. It does feel a bit loose however.

I did have to make a new hole in the floppy cable as one pin was blocked but the connectors had all the pins. Perhaps I've damaged the cable? Attached are screenshots of the FDD errors.

System specs:
Mobo: Soyo 019R1
Cpu: 486DLC/e
Ram: 4x 256kb 30-pin SIMM
PSU: 250W

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1- floppy drives do not have a master jumper. photo of jumper you set ?
2- yes, it matters on which side the twisted part is.
3- I can only guess that's ok.

4- you had to make a new hole? while possible, you might want to post the photo of the connector and the plug, just to verify.
5- flakey keyboard, yes as you found out, bad contact on the connector happens, you could try to see if you can bend the pins a little closer together or use some contact cleaner spray.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 6, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-05-08, 09:15:
1- floppy drives do not have a master jumper. photo of jumper you set ? 2- yes, it matters on which side the twisted part is. 3 […]
Show full quote

1- floppy drives do not have a master jumper. photo of jumper you set ?
2- yes, it matters on which side the twisted part is.
3- I can only guess that's ok.

4- you had to make a new hole? while possible, you might want to post the photo of the connector and the plug, just to verify.
5- flakey keyboard, yes as you found out, bad contact on the connector happens, you could try to see if you can bend the pins a little closer together or use some contact cleaner spray.

I'm not home now so I'll make some more photo's when I am, but for now:

1 - It was the drive select jumper, I assumed it was the same :p I've set it to 1 (or 01)

2 - How do I know which side goes where?

4 - I thought that was weird. It was pin 6 I believe but could be wrong
5 - Thanks, I'll try that!

Reply 3 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

since you say you set it to master, I assume 1 is the first drive select. That is wrong. pc floppy drives should always be set to the second drive select.
wrt the cable, normally, you have (FDC), connector, long piece of cable, connector, (floppy drive B), short piece of cable with twist, connector, (floppy drive A)
pin 6 sounds familiar, I guess your cable is newer than the other hardware you have.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 6, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks I didn't know about this Drive Select. I shall set it back to second! So my cable only has 2 connectors, not 3. Do you think it should work even though it's probably a newer one?

Pretty sure I had already tried it with this combination however (part with the twist in cable in the floppy drive and DS set to 2)

Reply 5 of 6, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cable should do. The twist should be closer to the drive than to the board.
Not all cables were fit with 2 floppy connectors.

I second the drive 1 / drive 2 jumper should be on drive 2 position. If it's the choose between drive 0 and drive 1 it should be drive 1.

Very early floppy cables cable without the twist, so the jumper actually did matter. More modern FDD are mostly hard wired to be second drive to avoid this kind of mixup.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 6 of 6, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for all your help.

I actually solved the problem today. It had to do with the jumpers on the controller card. It has 10 jumpers, with the first one controlling whether the FDD should be enabled or disabled. I already checked this before, but I noticed that the first pin quite a bit longer than the others (hardware mistake?). Apparently the jumper was only making contact with the first pin. I pushed the jumper down some more and it worked!

I'm glad my brain decided to have a brainstorm session in the middle of the night 🤣, which made me check this out.