VOGONS

First post, by Nikoh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, is there a way (i don't know if is technically possible) to convert cue / bin images with audio tracks to iso then i can mount those with shsucdx?
When i insert on of this cd on my modern pc i can see 2 cd on left bar of my file explorer, one with data and one audio cd.
bchunk works well with those that have just one data track, instead with those that have audio tracks it generates many cdr files; also using the -w options to generates wav files and an iso file for the data then I don't know how to burn them all together....

if I'm saying nonsense forgive me 😀

Discord server for italian retrogamers that love CRT
https://discord.gg/x7HQqDWmvw

Reply 1 of 8, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you convert bin/cue to iso you will automatically lose the audio tracks
If the BIN file contains CD-Audio tracks you cannot convert it to an ISO image! The reason for this is that, unlike e.g. a CD-ROM, the data structure of an audio CD is fundamentally incompatible with an ISO 9660 file system.

Reply 2 of 8, by Nikoh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bladeforce wrote on 2022-05-09, 17:55:

If you convert bin/cue to iso you will automatically lose the audio tracks
If the BIN file contains CD-Audio tracks you cannot convert it to an ISO image! The reason for this is that, unlike e.g. a CD-ROM, the data structure of an audio CD is fundamentally incompatible with an ISO 9660 file system.

so the only way is to burn it right?

Reply 3 of 8, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nikoh wrote on 2022-05-09, 19:50:

With Windows there are some virtual disc software that can mount BIN/CUE in its entirety, so you can access the image's data content as well as audio tracks (by software/game or media player). I think WinCDEmu can do that.

With Linux (WSL probably also counts) I haven't seen any easy-to-use tool to mount BIN/CUE as-is, but at least you can bchunk it to split the bin into ISO and CDR tracks, so you can at least mount and look at the contents of the ISO part.

(EDIT: I couldn't find any good Linux GUI burners for BIN/CUE. While K3b can burn BIN/CUE it may fail to recognize certain BIN/CUEs. The best way is to use the cdrdao command-line tool, which works as intended.)

Should also point out that if the image is in mode 2352 rather than mode 2048, you cannot burn it into a DVD-R/RW medium. You have to use a CD-R/RW medium for burning mode 2352 images. I may be wrong, but that was at least the case with the burner software I usually use on Windows, as they refused to burn 2352 BIN/CUE images with a blank DVD-R medium inserted.

Reply 4 of 8, by Nikoh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2022-05-10, 01:30:

(EDIT: I couldn't find any good Linux GUI burners for BIN/CUE. While K3b can burn BIN/CUE it may fail to recognize certain BIN/CUEs. The best way is to use the cdrdao command-line tool, which works as intended.)

Yes, i know, i use imgburn with wineHQ, also is only one that allows the speed of 2x....

Reply 5 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Winios program.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-05-12, 13:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why don't you just mount track 1? It's usually an ISO file anyway. You can rename the extension from bin to iso, and then edit the cue file to change it there as well (cue files are just text files you can edit with notepad.)

This won't give you the audio tracks, but if you only need access to the data, not the CD music, then it might work.

Reply 7 of 8, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2022-05-10, 01:30:
With Windows there are some virtual disc software that can mount BIN/CUE in its entirety, so you can access the image's data con […]
Show full quote
Nikoh wrote on 2022-05-09, 19:50:

With Windows there are some virtual disc software that can mount BIN/CUE in its entirety, so you can access the image's data content as well as audio tracks (by software/game or media player). I think WinCDEmu can do that.

With Linux (WSL probably also counts) I haven't seen any easy-to-use tool to mount BIN/CUE as-is, but at least you can bchunk it to split the bin into ISO and CDR tracks, so you can at least mount and look at the contents of the ISO part.

Should also point out that if the image is in mode 2352 rather than mode 2048, you cannot burn it into a DVD-R/RW medium. You have to use a CD-R/RW medium for burning mode 2352 images. I may be wrong, but that was at least the case with the burner software I usually use on Windows, as they refused to burn 2352 BIN/CUE images with a blank DVD-R medium inserted.

May i suggest cdemu?
Better than the venerable daemon tools imho
https://github.com/cdemu/cdemu

Reply 8 of 8, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding native MS-DOS and compatible environments, there does not yet exist any solution to the problem of mounting mixed-media virtual images which include CD Audio tracks.

It's an unfortunate gap in this retro scene which has developed clever technical solutions in so many other areas - just, not this one. Hopefully someone will figure it out one day. Until then, your only option is to either use non-native environments (e.g. DOS-mode-via-Windows), or burn CD-R's.